Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 05:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about pixels

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 16, 2014 09:24 |  #16

SkipD wrote in post #17035110 (external link)
Using "machine-gun mode" isn't really an answer to better photographs.

It's not always an answer, but it can be. I shoot youth swimming, and different kids have very different forms in butterfly. If I only get one pool length to shoot them, then I can't visualize their form to decide on a strategy. Spraying off a bunch of shots is often the only way to nab one where the younger kids don't just look like drowning victims. With the older kids, I can go with 3-round bursts, but the faster burst is still extremely helpful. I can set my 1D3 below 10fps, but I'm not doing it.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links
Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 16, 2014 09:24 |  #17

happyduck wrote in post #17035356 (external link)
As i said i am only learning, i was a very late starter to photography, at 66, 6years ago im happy with my photos, but if i could improve slightly by spending a few pounds, well what the hell you cant take it with you, but as much as im enjoying myself, im afraid the brain cant grasp all the finer points:rolleyes:

Looking at your gear list there's no reason why you can't take great photos already. Learn to use what you have instead of trying to blame your gear.

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Gallery: 528 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 16, 2014 09:32 |  #18

Kwirk wrote in post #17035377 (external link)
Looking at your gear list there's no reason why you can't take great photos already. Learn to use what you have instead of trying to blame your gear.

You got me wrong pal:shock: ive never anywhere in this thread said i blame my gear, in fact i have said im very happy with my photos, so please dont critisise me for something ive never said, im happy but if i can improve i will do im just asking for advice:)

Canon 70D [ Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro OS HSM C Nissin di 600
My Flkr (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,284 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 16, 2014 09:32 |  #19

200mm for birds is tough unless you can get really close. 400 or even the new Tammy 200-600 gets you a whole lot closer without having to move your feet which birds tend not to like. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 16, 2014 09:39 |  #20

gjl711 wrote in post #17035389 (external link)
200mm for birds is tough unless you can get really close. 400 or even the new Tammy 200-600 gets you a whole lot closer without having to move your feet which birds tend not to like. :)

Understood gjl711, i know you are right as i said earlier im waiting on a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, the guys on holiday in the states at the moment , when he gets back its mine:D

My Flkr (external link)

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 16, 2014 10:12 |  #21

happyduck wrote in post #17035388 (external link)
You got me wrong pal:shock: ive never anywhere in this thread said i blame my gear, in fact i have said im very happy with my photos, so please dont critisise me for something ive never said, im happy but if i can improve i will do im just asking for advice:)

Nah you didn't, but it is kind of implied in these posts:

happyduck wrote in post #17035356 (external link)
but if i could improve slightly by spending a few pounds,

happyduck wrote in post #17035103 (external link)
No its not a mistake, ive tried my lenses on both cameras and the only difference i can see is the 60D only shoots 5.3fps which i thought was a bit slow for birds:oops:

happyduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 16, 2014 10:49 |  #22

Kwirk wrote in post #17035460 (external link)
Nah you didn't, but it is kind of implied in these posts:

If your after a arguement pal look elsewhere you got the wrong person GOODBYE

My Flkr (external link)

Philihase
201 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 16, 2014 10:59 |  #23

SkipD wrote in post #17035110 (external link)
Using "machine-gun mode" isn't really an answer to better photographs. When a photographer learns how to time the shutter release to the motion of the subject, better photographs often are the result. Using a better quality camera also helps, particularly if the photographer depends on automated functions of the camera.

Tbh in my very novice opinion this isnt really true when shooting birds especially small birds like sparrows or birds in flight. They move about a hell of alot and a a burst of 5 or 6 shots within a second can make the difference between getting a catch light in the eye or not. Or another example is as a bird takes off a fast burst makes a difference to how the wings are extended, which at that speed you cant "release to the motion of the subject".

https://www.facebook.c​om …e-Photos-852961268075109/ (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 16, 2014 19:54 |  #24

Philihase wrote in post #17035548 (external link)
Tbh in my very novice opinion this isnt really true when shooting birds especially small birds like sparrows or birds in flight. They move about a hell of alot and a a burst of 5 or 6 shots within a second can make the difference between getting a catch light in the eye or not. Or another example is as a bird takes off a fast burst makes a difference to how the wings are extended, which at that speed you cant "release to the motion of the subject".

I disagree, it's all about the timing. Learn to really time the shots, by studying the behavior of whatever it is you are trying to shoot. I guess the fact that I started with a fully manual film camera clouds my opinion. The thing is that when you only have one shot to get it right then you HAVE to learn to time the shot.

I admit that there are other advantages to being able to fire a burst. For example when shooting airshows I will often be shooting with focal lengths between 300 and 400mm, hand held and with shutter speeds of 1/160. Using a three shot burst will help as often the first shot can be lost to vertical shake from hitting the button, and the last to releasing the button. In this situation you then need to time the whole thing so that you actually hit the right moment with the second shot.

With practice I can get around a 50% hit rate with aircraft travelling at around 400 Kts in opposition, so an 800 Kt closing speed, and get a image with both aircraft passing each other. Of course the high speed jets allow a bit of a higher shutter speed. The piston aircraft with 2-300 Kt closing speeds then become much easier to hit, although at 1/160 (to get decent prop blur) the one going the "other" way tends to get a lot of motion blur.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 16, 2014 20:32 |  #25

happyduck wrote in post #17035525 (external link)
If your after a arguement pal look elsewhere you got the wrong person GOODBYE

Not looking to argue, and there's really no reason to be so upset man. You are clearly saying you don't think your 60D can shoot birds because it doesn't have 99fps. I've seen people take amazing bird shots with a Rebel. Granted, it can help to have a camera with a great autofocus system and 12fps, if you can learn to use what you have, it will make all the difference. Good luck buddy.

DwainRowe
783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 16, 2014 20:42 |  #26

Kwirk wrote in post #17036594 (external link)
Not looking to argue...

If you are sincerely "not looking to argue", perhaps you should try to use terms that are less confrontational than....

... Learn to use what you have instead of trying to blame your gear.

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 16, 2014 21:34 |  #27

DwainRowe wrote in post #17036612 (external link)
If you are sincerely "not looking to argue", perhaps you should try to use terms that are less confrontational than....

Hmm. Okay? Maybe I am looking to argue. Am I not correct in saying OP thinks he will get better pictures with a camera that shoots a higher FPS?

I see time and time again newer shooters who think getting the next tier up of equipment will make them shoot better photos. In some cases, sure, it can help. But before you move to that point, make the most of the gear you have. In this case, OP already has a pretty good amount of equipment to get started. He said he has a 400mm on the way IIRC. While a 60D is not ideal for this type of photography, there's no reason why it can't be used. There are really a ton of other factors that make a great photo and it all starts with the person behind the shutter.

Anyway I don't want to add any more fuel to the fire so I'll leave this thread after this post.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,284 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 16, 2014 21:52 |  #28

I think your reading too much into the statement. But whatever the case, time to let it go.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about pixels
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.