Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 29 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just sold a photo I haven't even shot yet...

steve6101
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 08, 2014 16:20 |  #31

If you can produce a) a photo that you like
b) what he wants before you cash the check then if he do'se not want it you can give him his check back
This is just a idea

sponsored links
modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 08, 2014 22:53 |  #32

steve6101 wrote in post #17019369 (external link)
If you can produce a) a photo that you like
b) what he wants before you cash the check then if he do'se not want it you can give him his check back
This is just a idea

He wouldn't allow me to not take the check and deposit it. His second check will come when the print is done and on the wall. I fought on it but in the end he convinced me to deposit it and focus on what the initial check would allow me to get access to and for the print itself. He has some sort of plan for me, I'm just trying to not mess it up. But yes, I can simply send him a check right back.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 11, 2014 13:53 |  #33

Well, this is definitely going to be a great opportunity for focused learning!

Bryan

My Gear List

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 11, 2014 18:43 |  #34

bps wrote in post #17025429 (external link)
Well, this is definitely going to be a great opportunity for focused learning!

Bryan

I guess if he believes in me enough to offer this, I'll believe in myself enough to make it the best outcome I can.

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2014 14:13 |  #35

So he is looking for something like this? :) Just kidding

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qJMTmktL7Gw/UZG9d48fJ_I/AAAAAAAAIFE/bRPo4Cst9Wo/s800/Lentic.jpg

I took this with a 1Ds and old Tokina lens. I think you are stressing too much and need to think outside the box.

Where are you located? Here are a few suggestions. Check out NOAA.gov and see what the weather is looking like when you can go out and shoot. If it looks promising, you could get super lucky!

You could also rent a body/lens combo for the weekend. Again it is all weather dependent and you need the time to set aside. If you can swing 4-5 days off, your chances go way up of course.

Is there a deadline, so to speak? The wildflowers at Mt. Rainier are going to be in full bloom in the next 2-3 weeks - in case you are close by. Have fun with this!

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 16, 2014 21:15 |  #36

HBOC wrote in post #17035928 (external link)
So he is looking for something like this? :) Just kidding

QUOTED IMAGE

I took this with a 1Ds and old Tokina lens. I think you are stressing too much and need to think outside the box.

Where are you located? Here are a few suggestions. Check out NOAA.gov and see what the weather is looking like when you can go out and shoot. If it looks promising, you could get super lucky!

You could also rent a body/lens combo for the weekend. Again it is all weather dependent and you need the time to set aside. If you can swing 4-5 days off, your chances go way up of course.

Is there a deadline, so to speak? The wildflowers at Mt. Rainier are going to be in full bloom in the next 2-3 weeks - in case you are close by. Have fun with this!

I think my 5d will handle giving me the right IQ for the shots, I just need to get to some better locations in my area. I don't get much time off so making far treks isn't always possible. Most of my days off I'm still technically "on-call" so sometimes my weekends off just don't exist. I'm in the north GA area and can make it into TN, NC, SC, AL and FL sometimes. It's looking like it's going to come down to patience and scouting new spots. No deadline yet, and I'm finally getting some clarity on the details and decor of the room the shot will be it. Just to help get a feel for it.

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 20, 2014 11:33 |  #37

How far are you from great smoky mountains national park? Looks like there are amazing spots there, and in fall color, could be killer. :)

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 21, 2014 07:06 |  #38

i just came across this thread and I see that in its progression you have gotten more sure of your abilities to deliver a product that at first you were even hesitant to admit you could. Kudos. Even if the end - product has its limitations (in your or his eyes), the path you took from complete doubt in yourself to confidence was a great gift! That check - more than the money - really affected you. (at least from what one tell in this small thread)...

I can't really offer too much in the way of advice, and according to your latest posts - you aren't really looking for too much advice ...but I can comment that I can relate to your self-doubt as it happened to me in a parallel situation (no money, no big demands on different locations but important to me on a social and familial basis. And you definitely are getting into your "role" of photographer. Just for that you should be really pleased.

Just my 2 cents.
good thread for encouraging other people "new" in the field.

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 21, 2014 19:04 |  #39

HBOC wrote in post #17043788 (external link)
How far are you from great smoky mountains national park? Looks like there are amazing spots there, and in fall color, could be killer. :)

Right on the cusp of it. I drive all around north GA and TN on my days off just to clear my head from work(I happen to deal with a ton of nasty stuff for work). I'm almost 100% the print will come from the area. Fall here is simply amazing. I grew up in the flat south FL swaps and I honestly needed mountains in my life for as long as I can recall.

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 21, 2014 19:14 |  #40

ceriltheblade wrote in post #17045461 (external link)
i just came across this thread and I see that in its progression you have gotten more sure of your abilities to deliver a product that at first you were even hesitant to admit you could. Kudos. Even if the end - product has its limitations (in your or his eyes), the path you took from complete doubt in yourself to confidence was a great gift! That check - more than the money - really affected you. (at least from what one tell in this small thread)...

I can't really offer too much in the way of advice, and according to your latest posts - you aren't really looking for too much advice ...but I can comment that I can relate to your self-doubt as it happened to me in a parallel situation (no money, no big demands on different locations but important to me on a social and familial basis. And you definitely are getting into your "role" of photographer. Just for that you should be really pleased.

Just my 2 cents.
good thread for encouraging other people "new" in the field.

First of all, I think you really summed up my situation spot on. I really freaked out a little at the start of this as I can honestly say that I sit on here far too often looking at pictures that I'm not sure I could ever compete with. Reading your post really opened my eyes as to my self-progression in the short span of this thread. I really have grown into a slightly different mentality and I should be happy for that. Without this forced upon me, I'm not sure my mindset would've changed as much. I browse around on here and it's extremely awesome to see the level of skill involved in the shots here, and I have so much respect for what I see that it can be a bit intimidating for me. I work in public safety and sadly the majority of my week and life is consumed by such negativity, pain and sadness that a nice photo/beautiful landscape can provide me with a great mental escape.

Hopefully I never came across like I didn't want advice in a negative way. Never my intention if I did. Again, you were 100% right in my progression being the bigger check in the end. I will admit that at times I take shots I really love, but then I doubt myself and tend to just blame it on not having the latest greatest gear or L glass. If I could afford it I would have nicer stuff, but I know deep down inside that it wouldn't change the way I view or capture the world around me.

I'm so eager for fall to grace the SE so I can really get some fresh landscapes showing off the colors I see here.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 22, 2014 08:45 |  #41

Congrats on your first major print sale. Peter Lik's prints are all about presentation and you have to see them in his gallery to truly appreciate them. His regular, non panoramic print goes for $10k. Panoramic would cost a lot more. If your BIL has expectations of Lik's style of prints you cannot give him a canvas print since its lower quality compared to Fuji Pearl paper or metal prints. My suggestion is to get a metal print which will look amazing and doesnt require framing.

I hope you will find a good place to capture a great image during the golden hour. I'll keep an eye on this thread to check on your progress.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 25, 2014 19:14 |  #42

modestglock26 wrote in post #17046935 (external link)
. . . I honestly needed mountains in my life for as long as I can recall.

I completely relate with that. It's hard to imagine life without nearby mountains, and frequent trips to them.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 01, 2014 14:19 |  #43

Hi Modest Glock,

A HD tv is only 2 megapixels, a 4K cinema screen is only 8mp. Viewing distance will determine picture sharpness. Nobody looks at a large print from a few inches away.

The equipment you have already will give you fantastic results, especially since you are dealing with apertures and ISO's that are in the camera's/Lenses optimal qualities.

How you handle your raw negative in software will make or break the final product.

Good luck!

meaton
81 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 07, 2014 10:35 |  #44

modestglock26 wrote in post #17046954 (external link)
First of all, I think you really summed up my situation spot on. I really freaked out a little at the start of this as I can honestly say that I sit on here far too often looking at pictures that I'm not sure I could ever compete with. Reading your post really opened my eyes as to my self-progression in the short span of this thread. I really have grown into a slightly different mentality and I should be happy for that. Without this forced upon me, I'm not sure my mindset would've changed as much. I browse around on here and it's extremely awesome to see the level of skill involved in the shots here, and I have so much respect for what I see that it can be a bit intimidating for me. I work in public safety and sadly the majority of my week and life is consumed by such negativity, pain and sadness that a nice photo/beautiful landscape can provide me with a great mental escape.

Hopefully I never came across like I didn't want advice in a negative way. Never my intention if I did. Again, you were 100% right in my progression being the bigger check in the end. I will admit that at times I take shots I really love, but then I doubt myself and tend to just blame it on not having the latest greatest gear or L glass. If I could afford it I would have nicer stuff, but I know deep down inside that it wouldn't change the way I view or capture the world around me.

I'm so eager for fall to grace the SE so I can really get some fresh landscapes showing off the colors I see here.

Have you considered this is exactly the response your BIL wanted? Seems to me he wants to help in more ways than financial :) Not a bad thing at all.

Consider this. You could go out tomorrow and take the most awesome shot ever and only using the kit you have now. You could spend a couple fo hundred blowing it up and putting it on canvas and it may look as good as a Lik! If it doesn't go take some more.

And you could do that without a cheque from anyone! So go take some and view the cheques(s) as a bonus. Simply don't let them get in the way of your creativity, if you do, you are already placing a value on each shot you take and that for me is a disadvantage to your creativity.

Go get that shot and post it here too :)

piQturesQue
235 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined May 2014

Aug 07, 2014 10:50 |  #45

Been following this thread for a while now and really looking forward to you posting the final pic (hopefully) :D

Constructive criticism and editing always welcome.

sponsored links

6,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just sold a photo I haven't even shot yet...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.