Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got the Sports bug - Looking for experience - Talk to high school?

inernets
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 16, 2014 16:32 |  #1

Hello all, i have been doing photography for a while now, and i'm able to pay the bills with my cameras thankfully. I am trying to branch out into other fields and trying to build up a portfolio with a possible goal to try to shoot sports professionally in 2-5 years.

I love sports, grew up playing soccer and tennis all my life and as i reach my 30's i just miss being around the action. Luckily through my photography job i use the 1D III and 100-400mm multiple times a week for a few years, so i am very familiar with that beast.

My problem is that i am very introverted and don't know ANY photographers really, and don't know/want to go out and meet people but i am just so desperate to get shooting sports to build my portfolio. Luckily i live behind a high school in Northern Virginia, and also attended a high school within 10 miles of where i live.

The question is should i approach these high schools and see if i could somehow shoot for them maybe once or twice a week for a full year, doing it for free and just giving them the photos? Has anyone tried this method?

I have shot one high school football game and many motorsport racing competitions, so should i put together some kind of action portfolio and maybe bring it to the school? I just don't know the best way to approach this.

Any other suggestions? Sadly i am having back problems so it's difficult for me to drive far, but i can use the camera on a tripod or monopod with little problems.

1D III - 1D II - 5D II - 50D - 40D - EOS M.
16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 16, 2014 18:11 |  #2

Take a look at MaxPreps and consider submitting a portfolio to become one of their photographers. This will provide you media credentials (after 10 gallery uploads), and trust me, you will need the credentials most places in Northern Virginia (I'm in Arlington).

Alternatively, consider one of the yearbook companies, e.g., LifeTouch. Their standards are lower than MaxPreps, so getting signed up to shoot sports candids shouldn't be too difficult. The pay is minimal, but better than nothing.

Either of these options is far better than offering your time for free and undercutting those of us trying to provide a service and make a profit (as minimal as it is as sports candids aren't where the money is).

PM me if you have some local questions.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 16, 2014 18:47 |  #3

Very good advice from Pat

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2014 09:48 |  #4

Maxpreps generally wants a decent portfolio when you apply. So you may be turned down. Take a look at Sportsshooter.com and see if you can find someone in your area to mentor you.

Don't forget about JV/Pee wee games, you can probably get better access to those to build a portfolio. As with Pat, you can message me as well with any questions. When you do start getting images together for a portfolio message or email that to me and I can help critique it for you.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

768 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got the Sports bug - Looking for experience - Talk to high school?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.