Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Permission from concert venue for photography

Britania757
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2014 09:36 |  #1

I've recently agreed with an artist to photograph their performance at a venue in Chicago. My question is does the artist inform the venue of who they will have photographing them or do I need to contact the venue to receive permission to photograph the artist? Thanks for any assistance.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/24547179@N07/ (external link)
Pentax 6x7, Canon Elan 7, Fuji X100T, TCL-X100, Fuji 50mm f2, Canon 100mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8, Yongnuo 35mm

sponsored links
xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2014 09:49 |  #2

Britania757 wrote in post #17037405 (external link)
I've recently agreed with an artist to photograph their performance at a venue in Chicago. My question is does the artist inform the venue of who they will have photographing them or do I need to contact the venue to receive permission to photograph the artist? Thanks for any assistance.

The artist generally leaves a media/photo pass for you at will call.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Britania757
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2014 09:57 |  #3

Ok, thank you xchangx.

Pentax 6x7, Canon Elan 7, Fuji X100T, TCL-X100, Fuji 50mm f2, Canon 100mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8, Yongnuo 35mm

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 17, 2014 10:28 |  #4

Or the promoter controls everything.

Just like in your relationship with the artist, there should be a written agreement between the artist and the promoter/venue/other random intermediary. In THAT agreement it will be outlines whether or not the artists's people have any rights.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

greazyjungle
117 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 17, 2014 14:23 |  #5

If it's a bar sized venue, it may just involve being put on the guest list at the door.

If it's a larger venue with a promoter etc... you may want to confirm a few days prior to arriving; recently watched a very disappointed photographer leave an arena show empty handed (or empty camera, I suppose) after he had arranged with a band's manager to shoot the show, only to be over-ruled by the band's PR person and promoter - large touring acts have multiple cogs in the wheels and media access is generally controlled through PR firms. Also, the venue media person will have an approved list in hand, if yer not on it you won't get in, regardless of how many emails you have from the 'manager' who is not likely there to vouch for you!

Mark
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Mark Horton Images (external link)
5D mk III, 7D mk II, 15mm f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L II, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 300 f/4 L IS, Extender 1.4x, Extender 2.0x, 580 EX II, 580EX x3

Britania757
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2014 18:03 |  #6

Thanks for all of the info. The venue is a small bar/nightclub in Chicago. The show includes multiple acts but I will only be photographing one of them. The artist I'm working with pretty much books all of their own events so I have been dealing directly with the artist. I have not contacted the venue yet.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 17, 2014 23:01 |  #7

Britania757 wrote in post #17038196 (external link)
Thanks for all of the info. The venue is a small bar/nightclub in Chicago. The show includes multiple acts but I will only be photographing one of them. The artist I'm working with pretty much books all of their own events so I have been dealing directly with the artist. I have not contacted the venue yet.

Venue is your first call. In a previous life (how many previous lives have I had? Too many) I worked operations for a promoter in town. Just because it's a small venue/bar/nightclub doesn't mean that they aren't being run by a larger operation. In my case we ran everything from small clubs to, at the time, the largest non-arena concert venue in the area. That doesn't even start to include the fact that we were tied in to both South By Southwest and ACL. Some random Media credential wasn't going to get anyone in. I had an MTV shooter try to take my head off with a camera (popped a flash in my eyes and then swung his camera at me) when I wouldn't give him pit access at a small venue with his media laminate.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Britania757
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 18, 2014 10:57 |  #8

Thanks for the info, Fernando. In that case I'll contact the venue and see what they say.

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 18, 2014 17:56 |  #9

Fernando wrote in post #17038765 (external link)
.... I had an MTV shooter try to take my head off with a camera (popped a flash in my eyes and then swung his camera at me) when I wouldn't give him pit access at a small venue with his media laminate.

You've just reinforced my opinion of MTV. (I can't figure out what the "M" stands for anymore).

In any case Britania, post up some photos after your gig (if you're allowed to).

Britania757
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 21, 2014 16:23 |  #10

Will do Groundloop. I've sent an email to the person at the club who deals with these types of things and now I'm just waiting for a response. I have no idea how busy the guy is or if he even checks his emails so I'm not really counting on a response.

Britania757
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 24, 2014 16:22 |  #11

I just got an email from the venue stating that I have been given the ok to photograph the show. Definitely good news as I was a little nervous that they would say no.

sponsored links

1,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Permission from concert venue for photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.