Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best AF modes on a 5DIII or 1DX to shoot a wedding

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2014 07:12 |  #1

To all,

Going to help out a family member with few funds and shoot their daughters wedding in about 6 weeks. I've done sports, events, and lots of landscapes but not really a wedding as a primary shooter. I will be using my 5D III and 1DX for the soot and was wondering if any experienced wedding shooter who uses these cameras has any recommendations for which AF modes and AF points you use and can rely on.

Typically I set up with back button focus, single shot mode, and use the center point with the 4 neighbors active. For sports I use AI Servo and depending on the event use a broader range of focus points.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
huntersdad
Goldmember
4,563 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 17, 2014 07:39 |  #2

I'd treat it like an event and add flash.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

deanedward
397 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 17, 2014 07:47 |  #3

More than worrying about your gear and the AF mode to use, you might want to worry about how to shoot a wedding for starters. Even with inferior gear, you could get great images as long as you know what to shoot and how to shoot it.

If I may add, use the mode that is apt for the situation...and that means first identifying what needs to be shot at the moment.

Make yourself heard
Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2 USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2014 10:05 |  #4

deanedward wrote in post #17037231 (external link)
More than worrying about your gear and the AF mode to use, you might want to worry about how to shoot a wedding for starters. Even with inferior gear, you could get great images as long as you know what to shoot and how to shoot it.

If I may add, use the mode that is apt for the situation...and that means first identifying what needs to be shot at the moment.

Take my word on it I'm worrying about a lot of things including the topics you mentioned. Just thought I would reach out on some issues I thought forum members could help with or might have better direct experience. If you can help thanks.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

geparry
80 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 17, 2014 10:47 |  #5

With back button focus, I would stay with AI servo continuously because it works just fine for static shots and is ready in case your subject starts moving. I will usually set the focus point above the center point and use 4 -8 neighbors.

Canon 5D MarkIII 24-105 F4 L IS | 100 F2.8 macro| 85mm 1.8 | 70-200 F2.8 L IS MK II | TS-E 40mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 20mm 2.8 | 300mm 4.0 L IS
Flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,324 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 17, 2014 10:52 |  #6

I'd echo what geparry said, and add that in portrait mode also use an off center AF point at the upper edge when turned for portrait (right edge) ie: you want your AF point on the faces, and using center AF means a whole lot of wasted space above the subject.

Keep in mind with both cameras you can have two separate automatically selected AF points predesignated that kick in when you rotate the camera. (one landscape one portrait)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2014 11:57 |  #7

CyberDyne & Geparry,

Thanks for reminding me of moving the center point off center. USually do for events as well but forgot to mention it. Since both cameras are gripped a do a lot of portrait mode shooting and that is one of the grate features to assign two different focus point for the two shooting modes.

Stevd

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

panicatnabisco
965 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 17, 2014 12:30 |  #8

Personally, I switch back and forth from zone AF to center with active neighbors. Since weddings are not usually fast like sports, I use one shot on my 5d3 since the confirmation light is useful on dark venus and AI servo on the 1dx

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 17, 2014 12:45 |  #9

Beside gears, shooting a couple free weddings with wedding P from now until then could be a ton of benefits, imo Steve. Event is not the same as wedding as there are repeated moments at event but not wedding.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2014 14:35 |  #10

Tigerkn wrote in post #17037691 (external link)
Beside gears, shooting a couple free weddings with wedding P from now until then could be a ton of benefits, imo Steve. Event is not the same as wedding as there are repeated moments at event but not wedding.

I've been volunteering to be a free second or third shooter for months with no takers. I'm not really looking to get into the market competitively. I just happen to have several family relations that really can't afford a true professional for their event. So they have asked for my help. My son got married last month and we used a professional because I really know how hard it is do well. I don't believe in the pray and spray approach to shooting events even if you have a beast like the 1DX.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

ozzmodan
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 17, 2014 15:38 |  #11

geparry wrote in post #17037510 (external link)
With back button focus, I would stay with AI servo continuously because it works just fine for static shots and is ready in case your subject starts moving.

Another quick tip with the 5D3 is that you can have the DOF preview button set as a "AI servo" button. I usually keep mine on one shot, but when people are moving I hold the DOF preview button to temporarily put it on AI servo.

Of course if you are expecting movement, having it on AI servo natively would be less of a pain.

Gear List

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 17, 2014 15:52 |  #12

swldstn wrote in post #17037858 (external link)
I've been volunteering to be a free second or third shooter for months with no takers. I'm not really looking to get into the market competitively. I just happen to have several family relations that really can't afford a true professional for their event. So they have asked for my help. My son got married last month and we used a professional because I really know how hard it is do well. I don't believe in the pray and spray approach to shooting events even if you have a beast like the 1DX.

Most people don't want to expose their skills to people in the same market zone so maybe go out of your zone for better results. Just a thought, one could learn as just being an assistance instead of 2nd or 3nd shooter, so do not forget that in the mix of your request. Good luck and have fun!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links

1,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best AF modes on a 5DIII or 1DX to shoot a wedding
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.