Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 12 May 2014 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Urban scenes without people; sky is okay

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2014 06:52 |  #76

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/80564550.jpg

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 12, 2014 09:42 |  #77

IMAGE: http://kmrose.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v134/p323399791-5.jpg

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/hawaiiboy59/ (external link)
Kevin

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 13, 2014 13:23 |  #78

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2898/14643406394_350fa66ca1_b.jpg

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,518 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 14, 2014 10:19 |  #79

ziemowit wrote in post #17029159 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

This image is a lesson in composition. For one thing, the (center of the) small slice of sky is 4/9 of the way over from the left. I'm finding that such "slightly off" ratios create more tension than 1/2 or 1/3.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 14, 2014 14:24 |  #80

thanks, and yes, i did compose this one slowly and carefully

website (external link) / flickr (external link) / ello (external link) / twitter (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,584 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2014 15:46 |  #81

Yeah its 's really interesting. And the sliced circle in the very bottom rt touching that white line amd the flow all leading in that direction.. WELL DONE.

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 14, 2014 19:54 |  #82

OhLook wrote in post #17030941 (external link)
This image is a lesson in composition. For one thing, the (center of the) small slice of sky is 4/9 of the way over from the left. I'm finding that such "slightly off" ratios create more tension than 1/2 or 1/3.

ziemowit wrote in post #17031480 (external link)
thanks, and yes, i did compose this one slowly and carefully

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17031676 (external link)
Yeah its 's really interesting. And the sliced circle in the very bottom rt touching that white line amd the flow all leading in that direction.. WELL DONE.

It is now obvious to me that I don't spend nearly enough time setting up the shot as I do pressing the shutter.

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 15, 2014 08:18 |  #83

thanks a lot guys.

and yes, that wheel is what makes the shot for me, without it, it would be just a nice scene.

i must say i was lucky to have two motorcycles passing by one by one, so that helped.

airfrogusmc
36,584 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2014 19:27 |  #84

mguffin wrote in post #17032144 (external link)
It is now obvious to me that I don't spend nearly enough time setting up the shot as I do pressing the shutter.

I'm not sure it's setting it up. I think it's learning to see all when all the elements come together in a fraction of a second and then being able to capture that. Anyway that's the way it is for me. Bresson referred to it as a developed instinct. (practice, practice, practice...

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,518 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 15, 2014 19:56 |  #85

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17034570 (external link)
I think it's learning to see all when all the elements come together in a fraction of a second and then being able to capture that.

My shots don't usually include people. For scenes without anyone/anything moving, the fraction of a second can be replaced by a longer period of study. So, for that kind of scene, it's developing the ability to spot a part of the environment that has potential. This is easier for me than having to make the decision fast.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

ziemowit
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 16, 2014 01:40 |  #86

funny how we all work differently. I'm shooting crazy fast most of the time, even still lifes (which doesnt make sense on the surface I know) but I feel I'm capturing my fleeting reaction to the scene, and if I don't hurry it will fade away.

airfrogusmc
36,584 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2014 07:26 |  #87

OhLook wrote in post #17034618 (external link)
My shots don't usually include people. For scenes without anyone/anything moving, the fraction of a second can be replaced by a longer period of study. So, for that kind of scene, it's developing the ability to spot a part of the environment that has potential. This is easier for me than having to make the decision fast.

You still need to have the ability to see when the light (which can change quickly) and the elements all are right and when they are all right for you and the way you put images together.

Both of these photographers were very different in approach, philosophy and subject matter but some ways a lot alike.

"I know the importance of highly trained awareness of the "moment" and the immediate and intuitive response of the photographer. It should be obvious to all that photographers whose images possess character and quality have attained them only by continued practice and total dedication to the medium." - Ansel Adams

"To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event, as well as of a precise organisation of forms which give that event its proper expression."-Henri Cartier-Bresson

"For me, content cannot be separated from form. By form, I mean the rigorous organisation of the interplay of surfaces, lines and values. It is in this organisation alone that our conceptions and emotions become concrete and communicable. In photography, visual organisation can stem only from a developed instinct." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,518 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Jul 17, 2014 21:14 |  #88

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rezcar
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 18, 2014 00:59 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #89

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5488/14462446159_8d19bbd457_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …59148177@N06/14​462446159/  (external link)
2E7B5675 (external link) by rezcar (external link), on Flickr

Fotostream
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59148177@N06/ (external link)
#re240zcar
"Image quality is not the product of a machine, but of the person who directs the machine, and there are no limits to imagination and expression." - Ansel Adams

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 18, 2014 14:13 |  #90

Excellent composition. Hope you don't mind that I played with it a bit. There are some obvious artifacts because I converted from the tiny web resolution:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/ks4AOxV.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://imgur.com/ks4AO​xV  (external link)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

298,412 views & 1,405 likes for this thread
Urban scenes without people; sky is okay
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.