Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 08:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LG 34UM95-P 21:9 UltraWide

Hybrid ­ AWD
170 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 12, 2014 08:57 |  #1

I'm in the market for a monitor upgrade for my business and I have really been hooked on the new LG 34UM95 21:9 UltraWide.

From the reviews it's not your typical 21.9 monitor nor is it your typical ultrawide monitor.

Linus Tech Tips has a good review of the monitor and gets fairly detailed about the monitor. Does anyone have any personal use with this monitor?

Linus Tech Tips Review
http://youtu.be/KnrxNf​xRK_4 (external link)

One thing I can say right out of the box that I would be losing by using a single monitor is the fact that I cannot dedicate one monitor for portraits in a portrait layout (if that makes sense). I really like the idea so I can see just about a full scale photo and how it will look when I print it.

The price point really isn't that bad. Adorama has it for $899 right now which is right in place with some other upper end monitors like the Dell Ultrasharps.

IMAGE: http://imagenes.pccomponentes.com/lg_34um95_p_34__ips_2.jpg
IMAGE: http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/874/874534/01_500x305.jpg

Specs:
  • 21:9 screen or 3440 x 1440 (60Hz)
  • built-in Scaler and True Color Finder software
  • 10-bit color display
  • 1/2/3/4 screen split option
  • Flicker safe
  • sRGB 99%
  • 110 PPI
  • 5ms grey to grey
  • 320 cd/m2

Here is another review from a guy on another forum.
http://www.neowin.net …ltra-wide-monitor-review/ (external link)

sponsored links
OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 16, 2014 15:25 |  #2

I just picked her up yesterday and gimme a couple of weeks to let her run.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1085.photobuck​et.com …51434_HDR_zps4v​ftsozb.jpg (external link)

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 18, 2014 11:24 |  #3

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #17036069 (external link)
I just picked her up yesterday and gimme a couple of weeks to let her run.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s1085.photobuck​et.com …_HDR_zps4vftsoz​b.jpg.html  (external link)

I like your setup.
What monitor (and size) is that on the right?

BARFer as well :cool:

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

monty87
297 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 18, 2014 11:32 |  #4

I am also very interested in their new 34" inch model, 34UM95-P. I am also in the market for new monitor. Anandtech has a review up for it.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 18, 2014 16:08 |  #5

Bleufire wrote in post #17039791 (external link)
I like your setup.
What monitor (and size) is that on the right?

BARFer as well :cool:

Thank you sir. The one on the right IS the LG 34UM95-P. It is a 34' inch WQHD 21:9 monitor.

PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 19, 2014 11:00 |  #6

If you are in the market for this monitor, I suggest waiting to see if dell brings the same panel to their own frame.

Currently the LG monitor have a few issues with light bleeding and some people had to go through 3 monitors to get one without problems out of the box.

So until the next large batch comes out, I suggest waiting a bit before buying.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,909 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2014 13:21 |  #7

One of the positive sides of this type of aspect ratio, is despite the fact that we are all living in the 201Xs, for some strange reason many of the people writing image editing software still don't believe that you can use dual monitors. Some of us have been using them since Windows 95.

Oddly, the same app that won't allow you to move a tool bar to another monitor, has no problem getting it's window resized to fill this beasts frame.

I agree the only sacrifice of using it alone would be the portrait aspect ratio monitor in a dual set up. But as illustrated above, with the cards to drive it one can still keep that 2nd monitor.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 19, 2014 15:22 |  #8

Eyal wrote in post #17041765 (external link)
If you are in the market for this monitor, I suggest waiting to see if dell brings the same panel to their own frame.

Currently the LG monitor have a few issues with light bleeding and some people had to go through 3 monitors to get one without problems out of the box.

So until the next large batch comes out, I suggest waiting a bit before buying.

I was in the boat but I've also read that Dell and AOC has an undetermined release dqate for their version.

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 19, 2014 17:12 |  #9

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #17042171 (external link)
I was in the boat but I've also read that Dell and AOC has an undetermined release dqate for their version.

Yeah. From what I have seen they plan to release something, but because of the LG panels not up to standards, it got delayed.
Since dell and aoc are both getting most of their panels from LG, they are dependent fully on when LG can produce better panels.

Btw, how are the colours on this monitor?
Its not fully adobe RGB quality and I have read that contrast and lighting are a bit off.
Did you get it calibrated yet (spyder4 is what you have there?) and fair it got over the stock calibration?

Since I"m using a U2713H and the colours are just superb, I'm afraid to "go down" on quality if its not up to par for editing and colour accuracy.

Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 19, 2014 17:34 |  #10

Eyal wrote in post #17042400 (external link)
Yeah. From what I have seen they plan to release something, but because of the LG panels not up to standards, it got delayed.
Since dell and aoc are both getting most of their panels from LG, they are dependent fully on when LG can produce better panels.

Not sure if your statement is accurate. There a lot of good reviews and independent reviews out there that praises the quallity of the LG and even winning 3-4 awards.

Btw, how are the colours on this monitor?
Its not fully adobe RGB quality and I have read that contrast and lighting are a bit off.
Did you get it calibrated yet (spyder4 is what you have there?) and fair it got over the stock calibration?

I've read that also but like everythings else it is subjective with different variables to deal with. Yes I calibrated both monitors and certainly found a huge difference from my old monitor under the same lighting conditions. Upon opening the LG they provided a proof sheet that they calibrated the monitor prior to shipment but then again under what ambient lighting condition.

Since I"m using a U2713H and the colours are just superb, I'm afraid to "go down" on quality if its not up to par for editing and colour accuracy.

Please don't get this the wrong way but I think you drank too much KoolAid from negative reviewers. I purchase the best products for myself based on my needs, cost, and objective research. I feel the LG is as good as it get and like any new hot product out there, there will be some issue to deal with.

So far I can report the LG is running good.

Here is a photo of both monitor post calibration. You be the judge.

http://i1085.photobuck​et.com …33001_HDR_zpsxo​qw4kgj.jpg (external link)

monty87
297 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 19, 2014 19:10 |  #11

here the link to a good review from Anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.c​om …/lg-34um95-monitor-review (external link)

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 19, 2014 23:12 |  #12

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #17042444 (external link)
N
Please don't get this the wrong way but I think you drank too much KoolAid from negative reviewers.

I was actually not talking about any bad reviews (which there are almost none of them), but actually about user reviews.

On all user reviews I have seen there are reports about light bleeding, people returned at least one monitor (I have read a guy showing 3 different monitors with light bleeding which he had to return). Go to sites like overclock.net or hwardare.info.
There are owners threads on those forums, and there are surprisingly large amount of people who sent theirs back for a replacement.

Even the link at the start shows that the guy who reviewed the monitor liked it. But after a while he had to send it back for replacement.
Those amounts of returns makes it very unappealing. Especially when the price of it where I live is twice than what you will pay in the US and sending it for replacement and getting a new one back will take a very long time.

Regarding colour quality, there are more than enough objective reviews which state that after calibration the monitor shows good colours but not "as good" as high end pricy monitors. So I wanted to know how they are compared to the other monitor you have or other high end monitors you might have owned.

Regarding the koolaid statement, we don't have it here, so I am fortunate to not be able to drink one too many :)

I feel like you think I'm attacking you, which I don't know why.
You chose that monitor and its fine. Enjoy it. I just feel that atm its a bit of a russian roulette so I wanted to know your experience for it. No need to go all defensive.

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 20, 2014 10:39 |  #13

Eyal wrote in post #17042944 (external link)
I was actually not talking about any bad reviews (which there are almost none of them), but actually about user reviews.

On all user reviews I have seen there are reports about light bleeding, people returned at least one monitor (I have read a guy showing 3 different monitors with light bleeding which he had to return). Go to sites like overclock.net or hwardare.info.
There are owners threads on those forums, and there are surprisingly large amount of people who sent theirs back for a replacement...

I also have read these user reviews and the one foreign user who is having CS issues at his region.

Regarding colour quality, there are more than enough objective reviews which state that after calibration the monitor shows good colours but not "as good" as high end pricy monitors. So I wanted to know how they are compared to the other monitor you have or other high end monitors you might have owned.

I think those reviews are like comparing it to cars. Being that the LG is like a Corvette or a Viper. Well priced sportscar with good asthetics and throughbred but it can not compare to a Bugatti or a Ferrari. It is there, but not quite there. Seriously if it can do job real well at a good price that most pro-consumers can afford then so be it.

Regarding the koolaid statement, we don't have it here, so I am fortunate to not be able to drink one too many :)

Come on. You know you are kidding yourself. Look what camera brand we use. We all drank the KoolAid. ;)

I feel like you think I'm attacking you, which I don't know why.
You chose that monitor and its fine. Enjoy it. I just feel that atm its a bit of a russian roulette so I wanted to know your experience for it. No need to go all defensive.

Thanks for the comment and you are not attacking me. No worries on that. Listen there will always be a "beta" tester for new products. When I was researching this product most of the early product release were in Europe which could explain the one having the CS nightmare. We could blame it on Obama or the fact that most early product releases WILL have some flaws until the factory get it right. When I bought my car in 2005 it was one of the first production run and sure enough not even a week went by when a head gasket was leaking. After the repair and after 110K miles on it it has been "knock on wood" trouble free from all the abuse I gave it. So in regards to the LG I attribute it to early production gremlins and when I bought my unit I was hoping to get a unit that is after May 2014 production, since most of the issues mentioned online were produced in May. Mine is from the June production line. Time will tell.

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 20, 2014 14:03 |  #14

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #17043676 (external link)
I also have read these user reviews and the one foreign user who is having CS issues at his region.

if you look at the OCN forum thread (external link), there are about 5-6 people there among the many who had more than 2 replacements so far. Of course there are more than a few who did not have to.

So those are the people I talk about. Not just professional reviews but actual users who bought them and reported they had to return them or get a replacement.

It could be that there is a new batch now hopefully. Someone posted there that in a few weeks LG are bringing another new batch to fix all the issues so far and there will be more in stock.

Just one more questions if its ok.
Do you mostly edit in sRGB? I have seen that the monitor does not put full adobe RGB colours which I generally use when I also edit images to print. So I wonder if it made any different for you. I'm using a U2713H, which is about the price of the LG itself but still bring out 98% of adobe RGB after calibration.

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 20, 2014 18:25 |  #15

Eyal wrote in post #17044103 (external link)
...Just one more questions if its ok.
Do you mostly edit in sRGB? I have seen that the monitor does not put full adobe RGB colours which I generally use when I also edit images to print. So I wonder if it made any different for you. I'm using a U2713H, which is about the price of the LG itself but still bring out 98% of adobe RGB after calibration.

Yes I do efit in sRGB but I have not printed so I can not comment on it. The only thing I can say is that they provided me with a Display Quality Assurance Report which to me is a good enough verification that my money is well spent.

http://i1085.photobuck​et.com …46115_HDR_zpset​6oxyrq.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

17,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
LG 34UM95-P 21:9 UltraWide
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.