Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 02:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You're making good work. Now what?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 19, 2014 02:48 |  #1

So, I think I've hit a wall. When I started out doing photography, my images sort of sucked but I thought I had potential. I've since gotten to the point where I've fairly consistently been able to make good looking and interesting images that get a reaction out of the audience (take note: not all of that reaction is positive). Now I'm lost. I'm like, "okay...I can make cool photographs. Now what the hell do I do with them?"

So, how do you guys deal with that? There's a lot of talk here about how to make good images, but that seems like the easy part. Once you've started making good images, how do you guys go about getting them seen by the right people? Once you start getting good images, what do you do with them?

I'll add that I'm in a particular problem. While I've had lots of people interested in my work, my work also tends to be a little weird and esoteric, and isn't the kind of thing that ANYONE wants hanging on their living room wall. I've made some cool stuff, and I'm at a total loss as to what to do with it and how to get it seen by the right people. How do you guys deal with that?

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 19, 2014 05:25 |  #2

Clean Gene wrote in post #17041246 (external link)
So, I think I've hit a wall. When I started out doing photography, my images sort of sucked but I thought I had potential. I've since gotten to the point where I've fairly consistently been able to make good looking and interesting images that get a reaction out of the audience (take note: not all of that reaction is positive). Now I'm lost. I'm like, "okay...I can make cool photographs. Now what the hell do I do with them?"

So, how do you guys deal with that? There's a lot of talk here about how to make good images, but that seems like the easy part. Once you've started making good images, how do you guys go about getting them seen by the right people? Once you start getting good images, what do you do with them?

I'll add that I'm in a particular problem. While I've had lots of people interested in my work, my work also tends to be a little weird and esoteric, and isn't the kind of thing that ANYONE wants hanging on their living room wall. I've made some cool stuff, and I'm at a total loss as to what to do with it and how to get it seen by the right people. How do you guys deal with that?

If you want to make money or attract attention, turn off the computer and start attending events where people will be interested in your work. These events can range from fandom events where people wear costumes, to festivals and craft shows where art is displayed for sale.

Be warned that this process will take a long time, possibly years to establish yourself. You need to become a familiar face at the venues where your work can be seen and appreciated. Web sites displaying your work can be useful, but an online presence only reinforces what you have established in person.

This is one of the cases where there's a lot of truth in the old saying that it takes years to become an overnight sensation.

Another old saying applies here, that it does no good to hide your light under a bushel basket. Some photographers prefer to work and live in isolation, but that will bring you no recognition. To achieve what you want, be prepared to hit the road and meet new people in places you never imagined you'd see.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 19, 2014 11:13 |  #3

Clean Gene wrote in post #17041246 (external link)

your question is more business oriented and if you look at thru the POTN section you will find people skills are more important than camera skills if you intend to make money selling photos. But if NO ONE wants one of your photos hanging on their living room wall that would certainly be a marketing challenge. I suppose meeting the "right people" involves going to that location (wherever it may be)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,544 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2014 11:40 |  #4

Gene,

Start hitting the galleries in the major cities. New York, San Fran, Chicago, Santa Fe and other areas that have a lot of great photography galleries. Enter your work into juried shows sponsored by universities and top galleries. Getting shows is vital in that world.

Be prepared for a lot of rejection but be persistent. Really know your work and what it's about and be able to articulate what it's about. Have a consistent body of work because thats what is important to galleries. Understand how your work needs to be presented. Some work is better large, some small.

Credible galleries will insist on archival prints usually mounted and matted with white museum board and simple black or silver metal frames. I was in a show a few years ago with a diptych that was made up of two 36 X 54 horizontal inch prints that were stacked one over the other with about 18 inches between the two. They were flush mounted on 1/4 inch masonite but it was an archival process start to finish.

PM me if you need further help. I am a little familiar with your work and you might be surprised at who might want to put work like yours up. You just need to find the right gallery. Witkin has done pretty well. Also think in terms of books.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,945 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2014 06:04 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #5

Subscribed.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,559 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 22, 2014 06:38 |  #6

You are welcome at Flickr.com
Where "right people" and "weird" images are.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

657 views & 0 likes for this thread
You're making good work. Now what?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.