Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jul 2014 (Friday) 22:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you download your Photos?

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2014 07:40 |  #31

DC Fan wrote in post #17041325 (external link)
Card readers avoid wear and tear on camera connectors and free the camera for more picture taking.

From what I have read, bent pins in card slots are the #1 repair. I fail to see how wear and tear from the usb is different than wear and tear on a SD or CF slot.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 19, 2014 07:43 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

All my computers have an SD card reader built in. I use that.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

96whitels
44 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 19, 2014 07:51 |  #33

Built in PC Card Reader

Gear: Rebel T3i and XSi. Kit Lens. Nifty Fifty. Canon 18-200mm. Rokinon 8mm Fisheye.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,787 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 19, 2014 08:12 |  #34

DC Fan wrote in post #17041325 (external link)
Card readers avoid wear and tear on camera connectors...

Does it not just transfer the point of wear from one physical location (camera USB socket) to another location (card socket)? In the instance of an SD card this may not matter much, since the card/socket interface is robust. In a CF instance, the bent pin issue can be a real concern.

In my case I use USB cable for camera to PC connection.

adas
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 19, 2014 08:40 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #35

Card reader isn't so much of an advantage today as it was 10 years ago.
I'm getting about 30 MB/s on the USB cable (older computer, Win7), so for me the pulling the card out and inserting and then pulling it out and inserting back is just a useless extra step.

6D, 20D, G7X

PrinceAbubu
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 19, 2014 08:48 |  #36

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17041493 (external link)
From what I have read, bent pins in card slots are the #1 repair. I fail to see how wear and tear from the usb is different than wear and tear on a SD or CF slot.

so you use the usb on the camera to connect?

Canon 6D | 17-40 F4 L | 70-200 F2.8 L | 50 1.4 | | 430EX II Flash | Olympus OM-D E-M10 14-42mm kit lens | Sony A5000 with 16-50mm kit | Velbon Sherpa 600R | Manfrotto Monopod 790B | Naneu Pro urbangear U30 |Lowe Pro Flipside 200 | Toploader pro 75AW | wish list Fujifilm XT1 with 35mm f2 | (goneski) 1DsMk1, 450D with 18-200mm, 40mm stm

PrinceAbubu
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 19, 2014 09:01 |  #37

so you use the usb on the camera to connect?

Canon 6D | 17-40 F4 L | 70-200 F2.8 L | 50 1.4 | | 430EX II Flash | Olympus OM-D E-M10 14-42mm kit lens | Sony A5000 with 16-50mm kit | Velbon Sherpa 600R | Manfrotto Monopod 790B | Naneu Pro urbangear U30 |Lowe Pro Flipside 200 | Toploader pro 75AW | wish list Fujifilm XT1 with 35mm f2 | (goneski) 1DsMk1, 450D with 18-200mm, 40mm stm

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 19, 2014 10:24 as a reply to  @ PrinceAbubu's post |  #38

Card reader always. I don't worry about bent pins as you have to be really hamfisted to do that. Pins get bent when somebody inserts a card and it doesn't slide in easily, it gets most of the way then stops so they push it in harder and force it down. If I get one that doesn't slide in smoothly I just remove it and do it again.

I have however known two people who damaged a camera, by catching the USB cable accidentally when connected to the computer and pulling it off the table and onto the floor. I have also managed to do that with an external HDD (now very much an EX external HDD as it has never worked since).

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 19, 2014 10:36 |  #39

via USB 3.0 though lexar card reader to ex hard drive.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

hennie
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 19, 2014 10:37 |  #40

I mostly cannot put all pictures of a shoot on a single card. So the cards are out of the cam anyway. I use card reader in PC to uploade.
Only use USB cable to synchronize different Camera clocks and other settings.

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 19, 2014 10:48 |  #41

USB 3.0 reader on my desk. I can't believe I spent so many years directly connecting the camera (up until about a year ago). When you have hundreds of images, it makes a big difference.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2014 11:03 |  #42

Read where, on internet forums from people who are afraid they will bend the pins? I've never actually seen or heard of someone bending pins, just a lot of people who go on about how easy it is. What I have seen (both here and in person) are broken lens mounts, failed shutters, and broken USB ports, but I'm yet to actually see bent pins. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough though.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2014 11:09 |  #43

As to the original question, I have an internal USB 3 card reader in my tower, getting images off of the cards and into my external RAID enclosures is a fairly quick experience.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 19, 2014 11:14 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #44

Card into built in card reader then I click an icon on my desktop which runs a little BAT file that I wrote. It moves RAW files, JPEGs, and MOV files to separate folders on the computer, then cleans up the card by deleting all the files.

In case you young guys don't know, BAT files hold and run old style DOS commands in text format that still work in Windows. They are really easy to write.:)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 19, 2014 11:25 |  #45

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17041768 (external link)
Read where, on internet forums from people who are afraid they will bend the pins? I've never actually seen or heard of someone bending pins, just a lot of people who go on about how easy it is. What I have seen (both here and in person) are broken lens mounts, failed shutters, and broken USB ports, but I'm yet to actually see bent pins. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough though.

I have met one person who bent the pins. He put the card in the wrong way round and, instead of thinking "this isn't sliding in smoothly" and starting again, he overcame the added resistance with an excess of force and shoved the thing home with all his strength. Needless to say he bent the pins. It is almost impossible to do, if you don't try and force things when they don't want to go.

I have met more people who have scratched a front lens element by breaking a filter and having the broken shards scratch the lens, than who have bent pins. Yet the same internet "common knowledge" that says putting cards in the camera can bend the pins, also says that filters "protect the lens".

sponsored links

8,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you download your Photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.