Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who else doesn't like white lenses?

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 19, 2014 01:26 |  #76

1Tanker wrote in post #17040922 (external link)
I hope you're joking?

I hate this kind of thinking... i guess kids are only of interest for sexual reasons? :rolleyes:

Although it was stated as a joke it carries a kernel of truth. Being a teacher I have first hand seen how parents and people react in general when their children or any young children are involved. Some people will QUICKLY jump to those kind of accusations.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2014 02:04 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

Str0ntium wrote in post #17040810 (external link)
Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure if you're in a metropolitan area or city setting there is the possibility of someone eying your gear for other reasons such as to bash you over the head and take it...

Maybe that's just me, growing up in major cities where crimes like this are common and people with expensive camera gear are just like fish in a barrel. YMMV.

Do you really think a thief high on crack will care what colour your 300mm lens is?

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 19, 2014 06:01 |  #78

reefvilla wrote in post #17037551 (external link)
And why did Canon decide That was the color?

I haven't read the thtread, but I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume it's to do with keeping the lens cool when in hot temps?

Could be a million miles off though!

Personally, I love big white'uns, want a 500/4 BADLY :(

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,878 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 19, 2014 06:21 |  #79

Hogloff wrote in post #17040638 (external link)
Take it from me...it's just in your head. Unless you look like a goof, people will just ignore you no matter what lens you have on your camera.

Not really...at least here in the states, where big white Canon lenses line the side-lines of every televised sporting event. Big white lenses scream "Professional Lens!"

Aside from the reflectivity of white lenses, the white color and red ring serve dual purpose as a branding/marketing tool that's recognizable even to those who don't know a thing about photography. I don't mind it, but I've gotten a lot of comments about my 70-200 2.8II, and even my red ringed black lenses, when I'm out and about with them. Definitely not discrete lenses around here.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2014 06:32 |  #80

mystik610 wrote in post #17041405 (external link)
Not really...at least here in the states, where big white Canon lenses line the side-lines of every televised sporting event. Big white lenses scream "Professional Lens!"

Aside from the reflectivity of white lenses, the white color and red ring serve dual purpose as a branding/marketing tool that's recognizable even to those who don't know a thing about photography. I don't mind it, but I've gotten a lot of comments about my 70-200 2.8II, and even my red ringed black lenses, when I'm out and about with them. Definitely not discrete lenses around here.

Where I live big lenses scream "Professional Lens!".

Where I work, not a single person recognizes the red ring. Except that one or two recognizes a silver or gold ring as better.

The red ring is only branding recognizeable by inside people.

Your comments about your red-ringed lenses - because of the red ring, or because of their size? It's just so easy to assume that everyone else knows enough to recognize a red ring.

You are right that it isn't discrete lenses. But I don't think you are correct when you try to put a finger on why they aren't discrete.

Walk into a big chain and look at their entry-level DSLR kits, and compare the size/look of the gear and you'll notice much more differences than the color of the lens or the color of that ring.

Paint that ring black, and go out and you would get exactly the same reactions from people around you. With the exeption of a minority of people who would recognize the lens and feel a need to ask why you painted the ring black. But they would represent a tiny fraction of the population, unless you happen to be at a photo convent.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Strontium
Durr?
7,382 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 19, 2014 06:35 |  #81

Hogloff wrote in post #17041226 (external link)
Do you really think a thief high on crack will care what colour your 300mm lens is?

You know, I forgot to add that. I'm almost certain they won't care what color it is.

I am I

jm4ever
845 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2014 06:36 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #82

I really don't mind the white at all. Reall couldn't care less about what people seeing me shoot think of the colour.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,878 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 19, 2014 08:33 |  #83

pwm2 wrote in post #17041421 (external link)
Where I live big lenses scream "Professional Lens!".

Where I work, not a single person recognizes the red ring. Except that one or two recognizes a silver or gold ring as better.

The red ring is only branding recognizeable by inside people.

Your comments about your red-ringed lenses - because of the red ring, or because of their size? It's just so easy to assume that everyone else knows enough to recognize a red ring.

You are right that it isn't discrete lenses. But I don't think you are correct when you try to put a finger on why they aren't discrete.

Walk into a big chain and look at their entry-level DSLR kits, and compare the size/look of the gear and you'll notice much more differences than the color of the lens or the color of that ring.

Paint that ring black, and go out and you would get exactly the same reactions from people around you. With the exeption of a minority of people who would recognize the lens and feel a need to ask why you painted the ring black. But they would represent a tiny fraction of the population, unless you happen to be at a photo convent.

Oh I agree. Size has a more to do with it than anything. But again over here, white lenses are associated with cameras sports photographers use, and I often get the "wow you look like one of those ESPN photographers" when I shoot with the 70-200.

I don't mind it it at all...more of an observation than anything. I actually appreciate it when I am shooting professionally (weddings). Nothing says "get the hell out of my way" to all the uncle bobs like a big white "pro" lens.

The red ring gets less attention, and is really only noticeable to those with familiarity with DSLRS...particularly Canon cameras. The thing is that down here in the US, quite a few people have DSLR's, and an overwhelming number of them are Canon DSLR's. Granted a good number of them never move beyond a kit lens, but there are A LOT of casual DSLR shooters here who are familiar with Canon's branding, and know what the red ring means. Most wedding photographers here use Canon gear as well, and many recognize the red ring lenses as the stuff wedding photographers use. I get a lot of the "wow, you have one of those red ring lenses" comments....actually had the OBGYN delivering my youngest make that comment while performing a c-section on my wife lol.

I will say that shooting with my Sigma lenses gets far less attention (less looks, and less comments)...even more so when mounted to my Sony a7r, despite it still being a fairly large set-up. Goes to show how powerful branding can be.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Uncle ­ Flash
306 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 19, 2014 08:52 |  #84

Didn't someone used to offer a repainting service for lenses?

Failing that, rubber paint comes in many colours and is easily removeable.

Big dreams, small wallet.

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 19, 2014 08:53 |  #85

I have a love/hate relationship with it but hey what can we do.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2014 10:33 |  #86
bannedPermanent ban

mystik610 wrote in post #17041405 (external link)

Only photography geeks notice the white lenses on the sidelines. Most people don't even know there are photographers out there...they are actually watching the sport.

Again, I believe this whole "everyone is watching me because I got pro gear" is just in your head.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,878 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 19, 2014 11:21 |  #87

Hogloff wrote in post #17041727 (external link)
Again, I believe this whole "everyone is watching me because I got pro gear" is just in your head.

So people making comments about the lens is in my head? I could care what people think. Just adding to the discussion based on my experiences bringing a big white lens out

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 19, 2014 11:38 |  #88

mystik610 wrote in post #17041798 (external link)
So people making comments about the lens is in my head? I could care what people think. Just adding to the discussion based on my experiences bringing a big white lens out

No, we understand that you get comments.

But that is a long way from "everyone is watching me", which is what was said to be in peoples heads (I don't think it was personally aimed at you, you just seem to think it was). When I go out shooting, I get two or three people ask me who I work for, or make comments about the gear to me. I also hear one or two comments people will say to somebody as they walk past me. However, the vast majority of people completely ignore me, or may glance at the gear and then ignore me. I certainly do not find that "everybody is watching me" the whole time. If you really feel that, then you need to realise that you and your gear are not that interesting.

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 19, 2014 11:47 |  #89

gaffer's tape people!

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 19, 2014 14:59 |  #90

mystik610 wrote in post #17041570 (external link)
I get a lot of the "wow, you have one of those red ring lenses" comments....actually had the OBGYN delivering my youngest make that comment while performing a c-section on my wife lol.

Hope the misses reciprocated and offered to photograph your vasectomy? ;) :P

White lens shmite.

Don't think it matters much, either way as said, the bigger the lens the more attention.
Attention from thieves is my only concern.
Again no problem with my meagre attempts at wildlife/birds and white lenses.

Not sure about the IR absorption line from Canon.
Not saying it is untrue, rather that Canon like the White Branding very much, and perhaps overplay the thermal reasons a little.
Haven't heard of lenses shutting down through thermal limitations (firmware etc), and it might be a matter of Fluorite having longer shelf life if at lower mean temperature... IE long term storage in warm room be worse than black lens??

sponsored links

17,663 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who else doesn't like white lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.