Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jul 2014 (Friday) 22:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you download your Photos?

HaroldC3
Goldmember
2,999 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2014 11:29 |  #46

Card reader built into my dell monitor.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
armyslowrdr
141 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 19, 2014 11:29 |  #47

I bent the pins on an original rebel while stationed on Oahu. I was new to dSLR. I had like a 200 dollar repair bill. Luckily a Canon authorized repair center was right on Oahu.

5D Mark IV, 6D,70D, 3Ti, Rebel, Tamron 150-600, Tamron 15-30, Canon 400 F5.6L, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG, Tamron 200-500 F5-6.3, Canon 35 F2, Canon 50 F1.8, Canon EF100 F2.8 USM, Tamron SP 85 F1.8, Tamron SP 10-24 F3.5-4.5, Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Tamron SP 24-70 F2.8 VC, Tamron SP 45 F1.8, Rokinon 12 F2.8, Rokinon 24 TS. Sirui and Manfrotto tripod and monopod. Canon 600EX-RT, 430EXII, MR 14-EX. Billingham, Tamrac and Peak Design bags. Think Tank Harness and speedbelt. flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,710 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 19, 2014 12:39 |  #48

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17041768 (external link)
Read where, on internet forums from people who are afraid they will bend the pins? I've never actually seen or heard of someone bending pins, just a lot of people who go on about how easy it is. What I have seen (both here and in person) are broken lens mounts, failed shutters, and broken USB ports, but I'm yet to actually see bent pins. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough though.

Well now you have!

Start with the post immediately above this by "armyslowrdr"

3 weeks ago...https://photography-on-the.net …84575&highlight​=bent+pins

11 January 2014...https://photography-on-the.net …53598&highlight​=bent+pins

5 November 2013...https://photography-on-the.net …40256&highlight​=bent+pins

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1070748

http://www.thephotofor​um.com …anon-seems-expensive.html (external link)

Poll "Ever bent a CF card pin in YOUR camera?" at https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=749645

With a little work I could also dig up a thread from a few years back where an individual had a defective card reader which in turn damaged his perfectly fine card and when the card was reinserted it damaged his perfectly fine 5DII (as best I can recall). The damage to his camera was well beyond just a bent pin, it damaged "electrically" the main board which (also as best I recall) needed to be replaced.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 19, 2014 12:46 |  #49

Read where, on internet forums from people who are afraid they will bend the pins? I've never actually seen or heard of someone bending pins, just a lot of people who go on about how easy it is. What I have seen (both here and in person) are broken lens mounts, failed shutters, and broken USB ports, but I'm yet to actually see bent pins. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough though.

sandpiper wrote in post #17041804 (external link)
I have met one person who bent the pins. He put the card in the wrong way round and, instead of thinking "this isn't sliding in smoothly" and starting again, he overcame the added resistance with an excess of force and shoved the thing home with all his strength. Needless to say he bent the pins. It is almost impossible to do, if you don't try and force things when they don't want to go...

There have been several other posts as well. It happens. At work it is a much bigger problem. We have a piece of equipment that uses a CF cards to run. Periodically we do upgrades, pop out the card, load up the new software and re-insert the card. We have about 300 or so units to upgrade. About once a month someone bends a pin re-inserting a card. Usually is when someone gets careless and tries to hurry the process.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,498 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2014 13:03 |  #50

Card reader, no app or utility, just drag and drop to my own archaic windows folder based file system which works fine for me.

Always copy, never cut. Leave cleaning the cards for after I've previewed everything in my favorite fast image browser.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2014 13:16 |  #51

Heh! I've used card readers for so long...There have been times when I've plugged a camera in to a computer, but still...for one thing, you can replace both card readers and cards to newer technology. Cameras are "fixed" as far as the tech, meaning that the download speeds can get pretty far behind, but if you use newer cards and readers, it can speed things in quite a bit!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 19, 2014 14:02 |  #52

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17041960 (external link)
Card reader, no app or utility, just drag and drop to my own archaic windows folder based file system which works fine for me.

Always copy, never cut. Leave cleaning the cards for after I've previewed everything in my favorite fast image browser.

My exact routine. :)

Kel
Gear

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 19, 2014 14:14 |  #53

Card reader all the time.

I started having trouble back in Windows Vista with the computer not recognizing my cameras any more. I don't do any tethered shooting so I have no reason to plug my camera into USB any more.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

PrinceAbubu
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 19, 2014 16:31 |  #54

Well SDHC has no pins so maybe using card reader is more robust?

Canon 6D | 17-40 F4 L | 70-200 F2.8 L | 50 1.4 | | 430EX II Flash | Olympus OM-D E-M10 14-42mm kit lens | Sony A5000 with 16-50mm kit | Velbon Sherpa 600R | Manfrotto Monopod 790B | Naneu Pro urbangear U30 |Lowe Pro Flipside 200 | Toploader pro 75AW | wish list Fujifilm XT1 with 35mm f2 | (goneski) 1DsMk1, 450D with 18-200mm, 40mm stm

PaCiFiSt
662 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 19, 2014 16:46 |  #55

Reader. It's just so much easier to swap out multiple cards.

Mike Dokas - 7D & 5D Mark II
Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 XR Di | 17-50 F/2.8 XR Di II
Canon EF 17-40 F/4L | EF 50 F/1.4 | EF 85 F/1.8 | EF 70-200 F/2.8L & 430EX
www.mikedokas.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | twitter (external link)

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jul 19, 2014 17:02 |  #56

Over the past ten years I've had 4 cameras that used CF cards starting with a Canon Digital ELPH back in 2004. I've pretty well always used a reader and have never had problems with bent pins.

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 19, 2014 22:20 |  #57

Have a card reader for back up, just in case.

Just got back from shooting a 5 day rock cruise. Had 4 32 gb CF cards full of raw files. Used usb>camera cable. Downloaded using eos utility all 4 cards into neat little folders named with Camera body and date, each file named with body_date_sequential#. Took less than 15 min.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2014 22:38 |  #58

From the memory card thru a USB card reader to a folder I create in my external 3Gb hard drive. Then I upload them into Lightroom. If they need more processing (usually not), then I move them to Photoshop.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2014 07:03 |  #59

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17041960 (external link)

Yep,, works for me also.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 20, 2014 08:49 |  #60

PrinceAbubu wrote in post #17041587 (external link)
so you use the usb on the camera to connect?

yes, most of the time. It's just less steps for me.

Example:
USB cable
plug in cable
EOS utility starts, just click download
the folder is automagically created with the proper date and only the new images are transferred, no selecting needed
wait...

Card reader
Pull card and put in reader
navigate to folder on card
CTRL A, or shift copy images
navigate to PC folder
create folder and name
CTRL V

It's just simpler to let the EOS utility create a folder in the proper directory and name it, then copy all new images.

However, what I give up is transfer speed. My 5D3 is only usb 2.0, so using the cable negates the extra speed one gets with usb 3.0. To me it doesn't matter as I don't sit and stare at the screen to finish downloading images.

One more point. If I simply used LR to do the importing from a card reader it might be just as simple. I just don't use LR in my workflow until after the images are on my drive. If I started importing and editing as soon as I transferred them, I probably would, but I typically wait a while before the edit process.

Not really. It was posted on a forum from a Canon service center and was from around the 350D era. I don't recall if the service center was in the US, Europe or Asia.

I agree, you really have to be ham fisted or just not paying attention to bend pins. But that applies to the USB cable as well. I have never heard of anyone wearing out a USB socket. Now if you are clumsy, it's not too hard to snag the cable and knock the camera off when connected via usb.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you download your Photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.