Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jul 2014 (Friday) 22:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you download your Photos?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 20, 2014 08:57 |  #61

Straight from camera using EOS Utility. "Keep It Simple S-----" is most definitely my motto.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,710 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 20, 2014 09:39 |  #62

Lowner wrote in post #17043504 (external link)
Straight from camera using EOS Utility. "Keep It Simple S-----" is most definitely my motto.

Agree. What I do find interesting is early on the argument for using card readers was people snagging the camera to PC cable at their workstation and the camera falling to the floor. Then tethering came along and that seems to be OK. I was at an evening ballon festival where people had cameras on tripods, tethered to a tablet six feet away and the area heavy with foot traffic like kids running around. I wonder how many of those people used the falling camera off the desk as an argument for a reader 5 years ago?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 20, 2014 09:54 |  #63

John from PA wrote in post #17043592 (external link)
Agree. What I do find interesting is early on the argument for using card readers was people snagging the camera to PC cable at their workstation and the camera falling to the floor. Then tethering came along and that seems to be OK. I was at an evening ballon festival where people had cameras on tripods, tethered to a tablet six feet away and the area heavy with foot traffic like kids running around. I wonder how many of those people used the falling camera off the desk as an argument for a reader 5 years ago?

KISS...You just can't beat a great principle like that.;)

Mark

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 20, 2014 10:00 |  #64

Keep It Simple indeed.

Slip card into card-reader and the images are automatically imported into Lightroom.
What could be simpler?

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 20, 2014 10:34 |  #65

john crossley wrote in post #17043621 (external link)
Keep It Simple indeed.

Slip card into card-reader and the images are automatically imported into Lightroom.
What could be simpler?

Either solution is so simple that it really doesn't matter which you choose.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 20, 2014 11:16 as a reply to  @ post 17041420 |  #66

taking out the SD memory from the camera body and put it in the laptop
but sometime i put the SD memory in Apple reader to import the photos to the iPad then i transfer them to the iPhone by AirDrop
i have CF memory card but i dont like it because I'm afraid of bending pins inside the body of the camera , it's better to keep it inside the camera and transfer the photos by other ways instead of taking it out
the SD memory easy to take it out no pins inside

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

MissFire
178 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 20, 2014 12:03 as a reply to  @ moltengold's post |  #67

I use my Mac's built in card reader straight to LR, no muss, no fuss! :)

Lynn
Canon 70D | 10-22 USM | 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | 55-250 IS | 100 f2.8L macro | 430ex III-RT flash | and all my husbands gear!

PrinceAbubu
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 20, 2014 15:30 |  #68

Well was really doing a survey how people download and was just curious of their logic.

Canon 6D | 17-40 F4 L | 70-200 F2.8 L | 50 1.4 | | 430EX II Flash | Olympus OM-D E-M10 14-42mm kit lens | Sony A5000 with 16-50mm kit | Velbon Sherpa 600R | Manfrotto Monopod 790B | Naneu Pro urbangear U30 |Lowe Pro Flipside 200 | Toploader pro 75AW | wish list Fujifilm XT1 with 35mm f2 | (goneski) 1DsMk1, 450D with 18-200mm, 40mm stm

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 20, 2014 16:02 |  #69

I never took the time to dig into this, but the USB cable connected to my 5D3 was simply TERRIBLE! It was slow, and half the time would not download all of the pictures, it would randomly skip pictures. I bought a cheap card reader from best buy, and it transfers the photos way faster and never skips.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 20, 2014 16:37 |  #70

Likewise

The only time I have removed the SD card from the camera was when I went from a 16GB to a 32GB card. And the next time it gets removed from the camera will either be when it fails or I decide to go to a 64GB card

cheers
Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2014 21:59 |  #71

john crossley wrote in post #17043621 (external link)
Keep It Simple indeed.

What could be simpler?

I don't even do this. Card reader to cull my images and copy/paste images into a folder on my desktop. Do what I need to do by way of post processing, rename folder with date, subject, camera etc then move folder to where I keep my images and to a back up external hard drive.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 20, 2014 22:02 |  #72

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17041496 (external link)
All my computers have an SD card reader built in. I use that.

Yes, every PC I've bought in the last five years has an SD card slot.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 20, 2014 23:44 |  #73

PrinceAbubu wrote in post #17040923 (external link)
wow no one so far uses the USB connected to the camera... (well i do but have a reader now). was just curious how many people do this....

I do, but I don't shoot hundreds of images at a session (maybe twenty-odd or so), so even though cable transfer from the camera is slower than a reader, the time it takes is little different from the process of: remove the card from camera, insert into reader, replace the CF card in camera.

My Canon USB cable is permanently plugged into a USB port and hangs down the front of the computer onto the desk where the camera sits during download. Not very inconvenient.

If I had hundreds of image at a session, I'd probably use the reader, however I spent too many years with film (44) to break the habit of thinking, planning, composing, shooting when each shot cost something and I only had 36 potential images per roll (sometimes only 24) and had to reload.

Another point; readers do fail, but I've never heard of a USB port failing (and besides, I have six of them on my machine).

Glenn

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 20, 2014 23:48 |  #74

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17043494 (external link)
I agree, you really have to be ham fisted or just not paying attention to bend pins. But that applies to the USB cable as well. I have never heard of anyone wearing out a USB socket. Now if you are clumsy, it's not too hard to snag the cable and knock the camera off when connected via usb.

Apparently there were more than a few ham-fisted participants on POTN five or six years ago because I read quite a few posts that went: "help, I bent the pins in my XXXD".

If felt sorry for the Poor bougers.

Glenn

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Furlan
729 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 21, 2014 07:28 |  #75

I'm no whiz but I do believe if you go on line the method of choice is via a card reader. My thinking
is why subject the camera and battery to unnecessary wear and tear. I've been using CF cards for at
least fourteen years have at least twenty cards and no bent pins,as pointed out ham-fisted could be
part of the problem.

sponsored links

7,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you download your Photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.