Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jul 2014 (Sunday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Give me a reason to stay with Canon?

this thread is locked
moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2014 19:30 |  #61

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17046898 (external link)
Never limit yourself by brand loyalty; these are just tools and it suits your needs, then go for it

+1
32 years with canon since the film cameras :p

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,493 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 21, 2014 19:33 |  #62

Hogloff wrote in post #17046976 (external link)
If you are a landscape shooter, Canon has zero advantage over an A7r camera. Not only do you get to use all your existing lenses, you have a lighter camera that produces great images at a higher resolution.

A no brainer for Canon landscape shooters.

Again, I said it's only an advantage "if" you're a landscape shooter. And I stand by that... I also stand by what I said about it being not as big of a deal as most people make it out to be ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,759 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 21, 2014 19:45 |  #63

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17046994 (external link)
Again, I said it's only an advantage "if" you're a landscape shooter. And I stand by that... I also stand by what I said about it being not as big of a deal as most people make it out to be ;)

Or if you do find the need to crop the image very much, especially when shooting portraits. Whether one likes to admit it or not, even the best photographers don't get the composition exactly right sooc every time. That's where the 36mp Sony sensor has all Canon sensors beat.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,493 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 21, 2014 19:52 |  #64

Thorrulz wrote in post #17047021 (external link)
Or if you do find the need to crop the image very much, especially when shooting portraits. Whether one likes to admit it or not, even the best photographers don't get the composition exactly right sooc every time. That's where the 36mp Sony sensor has all Canon sensors beat.

True, I believe I even stated earlier that the resolution of my friend's D800 impressed me much more than the DR. Even still though, I've never (and I mean never) felt restricted by my 6D's resolution. This shot was a pretty heavy crop, I was shooting with my Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 from the opposite side of the street, I think at f2

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/9274310142_a9cb50e031_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/f8xg​i1  (external link) Independence Day 2013-15 (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

I'm pretty sure this is the most heavily cropped image I have from my 6D, it was from over a year ago though so I don't have this file on my new computer to show the original, but I'll see if I can find it if I remember later :lol: I just remember being really surprised it retained so much detail post-crop.

I'm sure for wedding or event shooters the resolution could be worth it's weight in gold at times though.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2014 19:59 |  #65

Thorrulz wrote in post #17047021 (external link)

i remember your lovely child photo with the 7D and the 135L
and that a crop canon body not FF
This one (external link)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 21, 2014 20:01 |  #66

Do it ....

IMAGE: http://itcrashed.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/d9nez.jpg

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 21, 2014 20:05 |  #67

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17046994 (external link)

correction, it's only an advantage if you're a dedicated landscape photographer, and it's not much of an advantage if you cant tell the difference on print. @ smaller 12x18's, I cant even decipher between the 5Dc and 6D. It would take a very large print for the differences to be noteworthy, but at that point, I'de likely be stitching. I can kind of tell when I will be making a shot for large prints. You'll want to stitch at that point, not only for sharpness, but for full tonality.

I'm sure around 24x36 prints, there will be a visible difference between the prints, and If I were to print that size on a regular basis, I'de get the A7r. If I really cared for the pixel density for reach limited situations, I have the EOS-M on standby, although it's nearly permanantly on standby.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 21, 2014 21:42 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #17047090 (external link)
correction, it's only an advantage if you're a dedicated landscape photographer, and it's not much of an advantage if you cant tell the difference on print. @ smaller 12x18's, I cant even decipher between the 5Dc and 6D. It would take a very large print for the differences to be noteworthy, but at that point, I'de likely be stitching. I can kind of tell when I will be making a shot for large prints. You'll want to stitch at that point, not only for sharpness, but for full tonality.

I'm sure around 24x36 prints, there will be a visible difference between the prints, and If I were to print that size on a regular basis, I'de get the A7r. If I really cared for the pixel density for reach limited situations, I have the EOS-M on standby, although it's nearly permanantly on standby.

It's not only the resolution difference, but more importantly, the quality of the image at low ISO is outstanding. The dynamic range you can tweak out of the image is amazing...all with very little to zero noise. That is something Canon cannot compete with today...not even the 6D.

I own and use both a 5D2 and A7R and for prints greater than 16x20, the extra resolution of the A7R becomes noticeable...especiall​y if you ever have to crop.

Stitching is fine for some photos, but when things are moving, stitching becomes a major pain. Many of my exposures are upwards of 30 seconds to several minutes and there is no way to stitch when you get into those ranges of exposures as too much has changed between shots.

There is no substitute for more, very nice pixels. There are work arounds for some situations...but no direct substitute.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,493 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 21, 2014 22:44 |  #69

Hogloff wrote in post #17047278 (external link)
It's not only the resolution difference, but more importantly, the quality of the image at low ISO is outstanding. The dynamic range you can tweak out of the image is amazing...all with very little to zero noise. That is something Canon cannot compete with today...not even the 6D.

I own and use both a 5D2 and A7R and for prints greater than 16x20, the extra resolution of the A7R becomes noticeable...especiall​y if you ever have to crop.

Stitching is fine for some photos, but when things are moving, stitching becomes a major pain. Many of my exposures are upwards of 30 seconds to several minutes and there is no way to stitch when you get into those ranges of exposures as too much has changed between shots.

There is no substitute for more, very nice pixels. There are work arounds for some situations...but no direct substitute.

As I posted earlier, most users will never need more RAW manipulation than what the 6D offers...

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17044519 (external link)
Have you tried the 6D yet? The DR difference between the 7D and 6D is plenty imo... pulling shadows on Canon's 18mp sensor is a daunting task, not the case for the 6D.

I personally can't imagine needing to pull the shadows much more than this... this isn't a great shot, but it's the only one I can really think of where I pushed the shadows a good margin in recent memory (which further proves my point of it not being that useful in real life imo)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s1225.photobuck​et.com …25PM_zpsd1c241c​1.png.html  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nPQf​xX  (external link) IMG_7167.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Also note that I underexposed this shot to begin with, something any photographer should try not to do.

But if it works for you, great, I just don't think it's anywhere near jumping systems over. And for me there are too many other little faults that add up for me with the A7r, I'm even less compelled to switch to a D800. I did consider the A7 strongly when it came out, but the reality is that the 6D does everything I need it to and more, so why switch? I also feel that the 6D gives me a lot more flexibility if my needs change (needing a fast AF lens for example).

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 21, 2014 22:47 |  #70

Hogloff wrote in post #17047278 (external link)

I dont think the low iso difference with compared to the 6D is mind blowingly different at all. The issue may be a half stop to a full stop difference if pulled very hard. The issue is when pulling shadows and exposure so hard is that you start to lose fine details, regardless of how well the sensor handles pulling.

here's an example of the 6D's low iso pulling:
full image

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

100% crop
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

the A7r can pull even harder, but there's a penalty pulling that hard with any camera. You lose some detail, contrast, and color. Best if you just blend it properly.

as for resolution.... it's there, 50% more pixels, but doesnt result in 50% more sharpness, not close really. It's certainly an edge when it comes to large prints.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,493 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 21, 2014 22:52 |  #71

Charlie wrote in post #17047362 (external link)
I dont think the low iso difference with compared to the 6D is mind blowingly different at all. The issue may be a half stop to a full stop difference if pulled very hard. The issue is when pulling shadows and exposure so hard is that you start to lose fine details, regardless of how well the sensor handles pulling.

the A7r can pull even harder, but there's a penalty pulling that hard with any camera. You lose some detail, contrast, and color. Best if you just blend it properly.

as for resolution.... it's there, 50% more pixels, but doesnt result in 50% more sharpness, not close really. It's certainly an edge when it comes to large prints.

Agreed. You also run into the issue that the sensor out resolves most lenses, so in order to take full advantage of the sensor you've got to get expensive and often heavy lenses, which in my mind sort of defeats the purpose of a camera like the A7r. I'll take my tiny and light Fuji over a small and light A7 body with a giant brick of a lens on it any day.

stevewf1
776 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 22, 2014 04:28 |  #72

bk2life wrote in post #17043197 (external link)
its your money, go for what you like.

if you have always driven chevy and never tried anything else, you are missing out..

I switched from Chevy to Honda a long time ago. I really was missing out back then...

Steve

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,759 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2014 08:15 |  #73

moltengold wrote in post #17047066 (external link)
i remember your lovely child photo with the 7D and the 135L
and that a crop canon body not FF
This one (external link)

Thanks, that's still one of my favorite photos I've been lucky to capture over the years. I really liked the 7D/135L combo and still wished I had it occasionally.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2014 08:59 |  #74
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17047369 (external link)
Agreed. You also run into the issue that the sensor out resolves most lenses, so in order to take full advantage of the sensor you've got to get expensive and often heavy lenses, which in my mind sort of defeats the purpose of a camera like the A7r. I'll take my tiny and light Fuji over a small and light A7 body with a giant brick of a lens on it any day.

Really depends what you shoot and how large you print. My typical print size is 24x30 and larger sold to new home staging customers...so I will endure that big brick you talk about to get the image. Sure...if you shoot to post on Facebook or print 8x10 photos, you can get by with just about any camera these days.

And yes, there is a dynamic range difference between the 6d and A7r, enough so just to get that shot which would not be possible with the 6d without blending or GND filters, neither which are without their issues.

If you don't need the extra dynamic range or extra pixels...by all means the 6d is a great camera, but please don't think there is not a definite advantage to the A7r if used properly.

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 22, 2014 09:28 |  #75

stevewf1 wrote in post #17047735 (external link)
I switched from Chevy to Honda a long time ago. I really was missing out back then...

I wouldn't admit that :lol:

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links

25,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
Give me a reason to stay with Canon?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.