Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WOW.. Expensive to sell on EBAY!

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 22, 2014 19:21 |  #16

Etsy is way cheaper and you can sell things for way more, but it is a small market for photography stuff.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 22, 2014 19:36 |  #17

scorpio_e wrote in post #17049176 (external link)
I never had any issue on craigslist. I warn the scammers *LOL*

I just make fun of them - the scams are so easy to identify its a joke.

I happily sell on CL all the time :cool:

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Diver-Down
272 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 22, 2014 20:00 |  #18

I had a 100-400 listed on here that didn't sell after 6 weeks or so and lowering the price twice. Got some offers even lower but turned them down. Put it on EBay for $150 more and sold it in a week or two. So after the fees I ended up with $50 more since I was gonna include S&H and PayPal. I'm not complaining !!

Canon 7DII / 7D / (400D) XTI / 400 5.6 L / Tamron 150-600 / 70-200 F4 IS L / 17-85 IS / 10-22 / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / 85 1.8 / 580 EX II / Kenko 1.4X

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 22, 2014 20:07 |  #19

It's not unusual to get your fees back and more when selling on ebay. Last item I sold there for about 20% more than I was asking on another forum, where people kept trying to lowball that price. No hard and fast rules though. Sometimes the opposite is true.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 22, 2014 21:07 |  #20

eBay is the place where people will pay far more for stuff than they will here. Raise the price some and sell it there. As mentioned they charge their fee on the shipping so just figure what it costs to ship and include shipping in the auction price. This was because people would sell a $50 item for $20 and then charge $35 for shipping. eBay was only getting a cut of the $20 and the sellers were gouging on the supposed "shipping" costs.

babel_fish
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 22, 2014 22:41 |  #21

reefvilla wrote in post #17048223 (external link)

Long Live POTN

Talley wrote in post #17049226 (external link)
They cap the fee to $250 max.

It used to be $100 max, whereby ebay was a great place to unload high priced items.

Andrushka wrote in post #17049460 (external link)
I just make fun of them - the scams are so easy to identify its a joke.

I've gone so far as to invite their "carrier" to my home where I promised a cash payment on the spot. They never showed. Some scammer..

mikeinctown wrote in post #17049633 (external link)
This was because people would sell a $50 item for $20 and then charge $35 for shipping. eBay was only getting a cut of the $20 and the sellers were gouging on the supposed "shipping" costs.

I remember those days :) $.99 Canon point and shoot camera with $249.99 Shipping charge

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell
"dude, are you even paying attention!,
Mike

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,372 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 22, 2014 23:18 |  #22

This explains why every time I look on ebay I feel the items are sizably overpriced. That is unless buying certain items from HongKong.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,459 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 22, 2014 23:47 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #23

The worst place to sell your gear is the online camera retailers that buy used gear.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 23, 2014 02:45 |  #24

I sell camera gear on Amazon. Haven't had a problem, been doing it for over a year, sold a bunch of L glass there (85l, 300 2.8, 100l, 17-40l + others). Fees are probably comparable to Ebay, nice thing is they deposit my money into my checking account. Craigslist is a good place to sell cheap junk.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 23, 2014 06:36 |  #25

Until about a year ago you could sell most electronics as Buy It Now for only 5% commission, then to "improve the seller experience" or whatever eBay said they jacked the commission up to 10%. Stores get a break but then there is the $20 a month or so charge for that.

All that said, the premium I get selling stuff on eBay usually covers the fees. Anything that isn't high end (EF-S lenses for instance) generate little interest here, and buyers on POTN tend to drive a hard bargain. :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 23, 2014 10:12 |  #26

jrbdmb wrote in post #17050351 (external link)
Until about a year ago you could sell most electronics as Buy It Now for only 5% commission, then to "improve the seller experience" or whatever eBay said they jacked the commission up to 10%. Stores get a break but then there is the $20 a month or so charge for that.

All that said, the premium I get selling stuff on eBay usually covers the fees. Anything that isn't high end (EF-S lenses for instance) generate little interest here, and buyers on POTN tend to drive a hard bargain. :)

Knowledgable people are going to be more price aware than people who don't know any better. When you have 4 camera shops in Vegas and all of them want full retail then it makes sense to buy off eBay for $200 less than full retail. POTN folks know the used market is really greater than a $200 discount and so they purchase and look for the discount accordingly.

Amazon to me is starting to mirror eBay in some respects. used to be anything used on Amazon was less than the new price on something. Now I frequently see many, many things being offered for more than what you can buy new for.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2014 10:23 |  #27

I remember eBay getting themselves into trouble in Australia a while ago with the double dipping, not sure where it stands now though.

http://blogs.smh.com.a​u …random_access/0​19366.html (external link)

Joel

moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 23, 2014 12:00 |  #28

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17050720 (external link)
I remember eBay getting themselves into trouble in Australia a while ago with the double dipping, not sure where it stands now though.

http://blogs.smh.com.a​u …random_access/0​19366.html (external link)

They're allowed to double-dip, but they're not allowed to force sellers to use PayPal, which was the issue in Australia. If a seller chooses to use PayPal instead of one of the other services, eBay and PayPal are allowed to charge the fee for the service(s) each provides.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 23, 2014 14:11 |  #29

moose10101 wrote in post #17050903 (external link)
They're allowed to double-dip, but they're not allowed to force sellers to use PayPal, which was the issue in Australia. If a seller chooses to use PayPal instead of one of the other services, eBay and PayPal are allowed to charge the fee for the service(s) each provides.

eBay doesn't "force" sellers to use PayPal in the US, either, but the allowable options are all so obscure and/or expensive that the end result is the same thing.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 23, 2014 14:45 |  #30

I had great luck both buying and selling on Craigslist. Must depend on the local market.

eBay seems like a perfect place for unscrupulous buyers who want to get a freebie. Early last year I sold a tele to a buyer who then refused to pay. He openly wrote on another forum that he changed his mind because he thought that lens was too large / heavy, and was planning to file a "item not as advertised" claim & get a different lens. Luckily I found that posting and when confronted with it he paid up. However he would most likely get away with it had he decided to stick to his plan, and I'd be out shipping costs. It's virtual impossible to defend the "not as advertised" claim when selling a used item as eBay will not get into subjective evaluations of item condition and just side with buyer.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links

8,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.