Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Model + Graffiti

AndrewChristopher
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2014 00:23 |  #1

Hey everyone,

So here's one photo from a shoot I did this past weekend.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Just a beginner learning the ways of model photography.

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 23, 2014 06:48 |  #2

Good idea behind this, but not clear enough what the subject is - the models face not very clear. The hand(s) and face are a bit to near the edges of the frame.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 23, 2014 08:42 |  #3

This might have worked with some light on the model and if it was in focus.....good concept.

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2014 09:07 |  #4

Skin tone seems a little meh.

One thing I really enjoy about shooting women of color is getting the light and skin tone juuuust right.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2014 09:28 |  #5

Refine the lighting on the face! Then have her move so that the arm and hand are contained in the grafitti arm and hand (EVEN IF SHE HAS TO SIT DOWN). You're on to a good thing, just needs a little more effort and thought.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

AndrewChristopher
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2014 15:56 |  #6

Thanks for the tips. Just a few questions:

1.) How do get the lighting right? Would I have to use strobes/speedlights/re​flector to do so?

2.) Is there a way to have improved this shot with ONLY natural lighting?

I've been shooting with just natural lighting so far and it seems my photos have been coming out subpar. I know it's not just the lighting but composition as well, so I'm definitely learning a lot.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 23, 2014 16:15 |  #7

A reflector could have done wonders for this!

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2014 16:26 |  #8

The light is really flat. Combine that with the busy pattern on the wall, and my eye wanders, never really resting anywhere.

If I were to shoot it, I'd pop a deep octa camera left and let the light falloff on the hand and wall.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

EMSA
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 23, 2014 19:23 |  #9

Is this a cropped photo, and is this straight out of camera because it looks unedited to me. reflectors are cheap, always tried to get a second hand in assisting you if not buy stands and reflectors. the picture is nice, i would have added some contrast, and a bit more vibrance, a little bit of sharpness too. work on her face a bit to set more focus towards her face rather then her arm. this is actually a pretty decent shot. Oh and add a logo to it if you're going to be posting it all over the web.

Facebook Fan Page ;) (external link)
~Pictures or it didn't happen~

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2014 19:52 |  #10

flashpoint99 wrote in post #17051509 (external link)
A reflector could have done wonders for this!

BINGO! That's a ceegar! ;)

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

AndrewChristopher
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2014 20:29 |  #11

EMSA wrote in post #17051828 (external link)
Is this a cropped photo, and is this straight out of camera because it looks unedited to me. reflectors are cheap, always tried to get a second hand in assisting you if not buy stands and reflectors. the picture is nice, i would have added some contrast, and a bit more vibrance, a little bit of sharpness too. work on her face a bit to set more focus towards her face rather then her arm. this is actually a pretty decent shot. Oh and add a logo to it if you're going to be posting it all over the web.

This shot is straight out of my camera. I think the most photoshop I did was to fix some skin imperfections. That's about the extent to which I've gone. I had my reflector but I figured I didn't have to use it because it was cloudy outside.

I'll definitely make a logo for my photos now that you mentioned it.

However, I'm not entirely sure I get the "work on her face" part. What does working on her face entail in this instance?

EMSA
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 23, 2014 20:56 |  #12

her skin looks under exposed that is all. I'm sorry if you didn't understand lol my bad.

Facebook Fan Page ;) (external link)
~Pictures or it didn't happen~

AndrewChristopher
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2014 21:48 |  #13

haha no problem EMSA, your advice is still much appreciated.

Vmann
148 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 24, 2014 12:45 |  #14

AndrewChristopher wrote in post #17051958 (external link)
This shot is straight out of my camera. I think the most photoshop I did was to fix some skin imperfections. That's about the extent to which I've gone. I had my reflector but I figured I didn't have to use it because it was cloudy outside.

Even though its cloudy the reflector will direct light were you want it. Just as using strobes etc would as well. The reflector could be used to cast light toward her face bringing out details in shadow and pulling it away from the back drop. Cloudy days work best as its easy to control outside light... think light a soft box diffuses it, but you still want to control where it falls on your model etc. The reflecter can help in this.

I would also try a shoot at the same wall prob 30 degree off wall keeping model in same spot same pose but your are position to the right of her hand and she would look down the wall at you. You could capture the graffiti, her and a strong expression using leading lines from the all the above to draw the viewer through the image.

Always be open to opinion especially if it's mine!

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 25, 2014 04:55 |  #15

Vmann wrote in post #17053306 (external link)
I would also try a shoot at the same wall prob 30 degree off wall keeping model in same spot same pose but your are position to the right of her hand and she would look down the wall at you. You could capture the graffiti, her and a strong expression using leading lines from the all the above to draw the viewer through the image.

This looks like a good idea.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

sponsored links

1,900 views & 0 likes for this thread
Model + Graffiti
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.