Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Default version of Photoshop

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2014 17:14 |  #1

I have two versions of Photoshop, CS5 and CS6. I have CS5 because of the features that CS6 done away with. Anyway, in bridge mine is set to open all raw and jpeg files in CS5, I want them to open in CS6 as default. I changed all the file associations to CS6 but when I right click on a file or a bunch of highlighted files and go to Open In, it still says default is CS5. Where can I change that to open in CS6 as default?

Thank you.

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 24, 2014 17:54 |  #2

Google. File associations for Windows XX. Its location depends on your windows version

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 24, 2014 18:14 |  #3

Are you opening from Bridge CS5 or Bridge CS6? IIRC there is a registry entry that would need to be changed. I'll see if I can find it. There is also a file association in Bridge Preferences- check there.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 24, 2014 18:19 |  #4

Shooting wrote in post #17053905 (external link)
I have two versions of Photoshop, CS5 and CS6. I have CS5 because of the features that CS6 done away with. Anyway, in bridge mine is set to open all raw and jpeg files in CS5, I want them to open in CS6 as default. I changed all the file associations to CS6 but when I right click on a file or a bunch of highlighted files and go to Open In, it still says default is CS5. Where can I change that to open in CS6 as default?

Thank you.

I'm curious; what features from Photoshop CS5 are missing in CS6? Also which version of Bridge are you using? I seem to recall that in earlier versions of Bridge to older version always overrode the preferences of the newer version.

kjonnnn wrote in post #17053992 (external link)
Google. File associations for Windows XX. Its location depends on your windows version

No; its not a matter of File Associations. He needs to modify the Windows Registry keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOF​TWARE\Microsoft\Window​s\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe to specify when version should open files by default.

Gear List

Curt1591
90 posts
Joined May 2014

Jul 24, 2014 18:51 |  #5

In Bridge, go to preferences, then file type associations and choose photoshop CS6 in the pull down for each type file you desire to open in PS6.

7D, G10, and numerous toys and trinkets ...

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2014 19:55 as a reply to  @ Curt1591's post |  #6

I did the file association thing. CS6 got rid of the thumbnail previews of the raw files, jpeg and psd files. Also got rid of the contact sheet and package printing. I am using the new bridge that goes with Adobe CC even though I'm not using CC.

I will see what I can do about the registry. Thank you all and hope it works.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 24, 2014 21:27 |  #7

Thumbnail previews of raw and psd files are a function of the operating system. Adobe got rid of the ability to preview raw and psd files in 2005 when they released Photoshop CS2. So if you want to see previews of raw and psd files you need to install a third-party codec. If you saw thumbnails in the past and don't see them now then it sounds like you have an outdated codec installed that doesn't support your current camera; and you need to update it. There are several codecs available; including a free one from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.c​om …oad/details.asp​x?id=26829 (external link)

You should always be able to see thumbnails for rendered file formats like JPEG, TIFF, and GIF because their codecs are built into the operating system.

Starting with Photoshop CS5, Contact Sheet and Picture Package functionality was moved over to Adobe Bridge. In CS6 if you start Bridge, then go to the Output Module you will see all you need to make contact sheets, etc. or you can click on Tools > Photoshop > Contact Sheet II.

Adobe has not yet released a version of the Output Module for the current version of Bridge (CC 2014).

Shooting wrote in post #17054195 (external link)
I did the file association thing. CS6 got rid of the thumbnail previews of the raw files, jpeg and psd files. Also got rid of the contact sheet and package printing. I am using the new bridge that goes with Adobe CC even though I'm not using CC.

I will see what I can do about the registry. Thank you all and hope it works.

Gear List

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,477 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 25, 2014 04:36 |  #8

In Windows Explorer right-click on a file and select Open With/Choose Default Program. In the window that opens, if PSCS6 is listed select it. If it is not listed, select Browse and navigate to the .exe. Make sure the Always Use This Program box is checked and click OK. This changes the registry entry.

Elie / אלי

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 25, 2014 12:40 |  #9

Its quite irresponsible to tell someone to go into the raw registry NOT knowing their skill or knowledge. Of course you can change ANY thing by going into the registry, but it shouldnt be your first option.

Curt1591
90 posts
Joined May 2014

Jul 25, 2014 17:44 |  #10

One of the beauties of Windows is being able to easily tweak the registry. Unfortunately, one of the curses of Windows is also being able to easily tweak the registry!

7D, G10, and numerous toys and trinkets ...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 25, 2014 20:16 |  #11

Curt1591 wrote in post #17056195 (external link)
One of the beauties of Windows is being able to easily tweak the registry. Unfortunately, one of the curses of Windows is also being able to easily tweak the registry!

Fortunately it's rarely needed!

I remember a while ago when if you didn't have a copy of the Canon Raw software Digital Photo Professional and wanted to install it from Canon online a recommended and effective approach was to edit the Windows registry to "show" DPP in the registry so that the Canon updates would work.

And yeah, the approach worked, but fortunately other "fixes" have surfaced, so people who don't know how to work with the registry can still get the software!:)

So a few approaches have surfaced here using the "standard" approaches, always better than trying the low-level approaches unless you know what you're doing!

'Course, if you want to talk low-level, hey, let's talk assembly language!:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Default version of Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.