Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon-Canon - No mans Land

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,705 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 24, 2014 10:47 |  #31

pwm2 wrote in post #17052997 (external link)
But remember that POTN has been online for quite a number of years. So people did use POTN when their old cameras wasn't old but was the best you could find. And lots of the people are using them as their second or third or fourth body.

POTN has no real history of people who joined 10+ years ago with their then-current Nikon gear.

And 10 years ago, Nikon had no full frame sensors, and were on record stating "they would never make a full frame sensor"
I'm glad they changed there minds.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
9,282 posts
Gallery: 2150 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 24, 2014 10:56 |  #32

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17053046 (external link)
Thread moved.
My only question really, is why was this posted in the forum where we discuss EOS cameras?

Upsss my bad i apologize, the first sections at the top of the forum tend to get most attention, and digging down to find individual sections sometimes can be forgotten and hidden.

A bit like the small print on loans etc.

P.

Some stuff.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 24, 2014 10:59 |  #33

Pagman wrote in post #17053065 (external link)
Upsss my bad i apologize, the first sections at the top of the forum tend to get most attention, and digging down to find individual sections sometimes can be forgotten and hidden.

A bit like the small print on loans etc.

P.

But lots of the readers don't come that way, but instead picks up "front page" stuff fron "New Posts". So any new post to this thread moves it to the top of "New Posts" where people will pick it up.

A debate obviously requires activity. And "New Posts" is the best route to spot active threads.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

panicatnabisco
971 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 24, 2014 13:04 |  #34

You really can't blame everyone for losing interest in an older camera and an unpopular zoom lens. I've had a 55-300vr before when I was shooting Nikon and there's really nothing to new to discuss about it that wasn't already gone over. The reason why pro glass/gear gets more attention because prospective buyers want to squeeze out as much information as they can before deciding on financially investing in one. Plus, everyone wants to read about their dream gear.

Canon 1DXmkIII |1DX | 6Dii | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 35/1.4ii | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,282 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 24, 2014 13:40 |  #35

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17053363 (external link)
You really can't blame everyone for losing interest in an older camera and an unpopular zoom lens. I've had a 55-300vr before when I was shooting Nikon and there's really nothing to new to discuss about it that wasn't already gone over. The reason why pro glass/gear gets more attention because prospective buyers want to squeeze out as much information as they can before deciding on financially investing in one. Plus, everyone wants to read about their dream gear.

What was your opinion about the 55-300VR, its best setting etc - how to squeeze the most from it, i would love a 80-400VR but that is another story that my wife cant know or she will divorce me ;)i am happy with my D90 also it has enough DR for me and has good noise handling, so a "pro" camera would not serve me well.

P.

Some stuff.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 25, 2014 01:38 |  #36

Pagman wrote in post #17051991 (external link)
I see a pattern forming here, i used to be a regular(very regular) canon specific poster at first with my pedigree of canon cameras, but now i have been a naughty boy and gone to the less than white side.

Anyway as I'm a Crop frame shooter and "cough cough Nikon User" I'm not very accommodated on the Dark Side on here as in there words " they specialize in full frame and my genie re is not in there group(grown up moved on from Crop Frame)

So i come back home - post on here and what do i get? - "Go to your own site, you don't own a canon"

So I'm left in "Linbo Land" and don't belong in either:(:(:(

P.:(

Are you sure that people are saying that because you don't own a Canon? I've seen quite a few Nikon users post here without getting that kind of treatment.

Also, I notice that you have your gear listed in your sig. I realize that some people have practical reasons for doing so (like, people ask about their gear alot, so it's easier to just list it in a sig rather than to keep seeing inquiries). But, like, does that apply to you? No one ever asks me what gear I'm using, so I just plain don't mention it. I'm not saying that this will work out for you (that would just be speculation), but have you considered or tried simply removing your gear from your sig? If no one's asking, do you really need to tell them? How often is your gear really relevant to the discussion anyway?

Anyway, I don't know. I'm just spitting out thoughts here.

But hey, you could look at it like this. Recognizing who's opinion you should value is important, but equally important is recognizing whose opinion you SHOULDN'T value. If you're in a tech-specific discussion about specific Canon gear, then it's totally valid to inquire if you've got experience with that gear. However, if you're in an image-centric discussion, then it's about the image. if you're in image-centric discussions and people are questioning whether or not you've got experience with Canon, then that's a big red flag to me. That's telling me that this person cares more about the gear than they do about images, and that it might not be worth my time to entertain them on the matter. But, again, that depends on context. These forums are largely gear-oriented, and many threads relate to specific gear (how to operate it, technical details, etc). Those kinds of threads can hinge on specific experience with certain gear, and it can be worth questioning such experience if you've got a sig which lists only Nikon gear. Still shouldn't be grounds for outright dismissing what you have to say, but I can totally see it being worth asking.

In any case, I avoid gear-related talk as much as possible unless I absolutely have to do it. And I haven't had a problem similar to yours.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 25, 2014 01:50 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

This is a strange thread....

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 25, 2014 02:10 |  #38

Pagman wrote in post #17052600 (external link)
I think i have explained my self quite well, but to explain again - where am i expected to go with my quires about my gear if i get no decent replies on the nikon section here, like i have explained - there is very little interest in crop frame cameras on the nikon forum, and no where else is dedicated on here apart from the general section that is for everyone, but this is less visible and not as detailed as the main section on the forum.

P.

Oh, well that's different. If you're posting INQUIRIES about Nikon gear, then it seems like a reasonable suggestion to ask such questions on a Nikon forum. Yes, I'm aware that many people here have used Nikon Gear. So at least in theory, someone here should theoretically be able to answer any question you ask. But that just seems impractical to me. If I have a GEAR-related question about a specific product, then I'm gonna think it more practical to ask that question on a forum on a specific site. It's like...suppose I owned a Nintendo and then switched to a Playstation. I then have an inquiry about my Playstation, so I ask about it on a Nintendo forum. Sure, someone there can probably answer it, but it's not being a jerk to suggest that I go to the Playstation forums and ask that question there. I'd actually probably get BETTER answers there, so it's not exactly a bad suggestion.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,282 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 25, 2014 10:51 |  #39

Simple solution and possibly in the pipeline?, how about encourage and create separate sub forums within the nikon thread for different types of cameras like budget level PAS digicams, and intermediate level cameras like D80-90-200 etc, perhaps with shooters of these camera posting on here, it would make it easier for Q/A from others like myself or anyone else who finds this forum the most entertaining especially if like me - you where a canon owner and frequently posted on here.

P.

Some stuff.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,532 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 25, 2014 11:11 |  #40

Pagman wrote in post #17055310 (external link)
Simple solution and possibly in the pipeline?, how about encourage and create separate sub forums within the nikon thread for different types of cameras like budget level PAS digicams, and intermediate level cameras like D80-90-200 etc, perhaps with shooters of these camera posting on here, it would make it easier for Q/A from others like myself or anyone else who finds this forum the most entertaining especially if like me - you where a canon owner and frequently posted on here.

P.

You can create all the Nikon sub forums you like, if there are no members using those Nikon budget cameras then those sub forums won't fill up. POTN can't just order: NIKON SUB FORUMS BE FILLED! and behold it was so. ;)

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 25, 2014 12:40 |  #41

You first collect enough members. Then you look at how to subdivide their large productivity of threads. Trying to subdivide with too few members just breaks down because people finds it boring to click on a forum/subforum that hasn't had a post in the last days/weeks.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 26, 2014 04:54 |  #42

Pagman wrote in post #17055310 (external link)

P.

You can always create your own D90 forum.
Or google/youtube your questions.
Or buy a modern camera.

There are lots of options.
Unfortunately they all require effort on your part...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 26, 2014 08:06 |  #43

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17052328 (external link)
I would ban you based on grammar, not what you shoot. :p

Hmmm. I see worms, a veritable can thereof.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,282 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 26, 2014 09:40 |  #44

20droger wrote in post #17057112 (external link)
Hmmm. I see worms, a veritable can thereof.

Hi, I take no notice of childish petty comments like what was written, if people haven't got better time than to post things like that, then its a very sorry state of affairs:(

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links

5,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon-Canon - No mans Land
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.