Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jul 2014 (Sunday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Give me a reason to stay with Canon?

this thread is locked
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,550 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 25, 2014 06:22 |  #166

pwm2 wrote in post #17054787 (external link)
Canon not only makes sensors.
They also design, build and sell fabrication equipment to produce sensors.

So while I do think the management did some incorrect decision about how long to hold onto the older technologies, they are a significant force to recon with...

Even there they have pretty much fallen off the map as a player. This story was on our local news a few months back and I found this interesting article about their attempted comback.
http://asia.nikkei.com …chipmaking-equipment-firm (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 25, 2014 07:08 |  #167
bannedPermanent ban

I chuckle every time anyone mentions the reason they are with Canon and mention the 85L, the 17tse and the super teles...and then I see in their profile they have a kit lens, and a nifty fifty.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,955 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jul 25, 2014 08:35 |  #168

Hogloff wrote in post #17054960 (external link)
I chuckle every time anyone mentions the reason they are with Canon and mention the 85L, the 17tse and the super teles...and then I see in their profile they have a kit lens, and a nifty fifty.

bw!:lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 25, 2014 09:07 as a reply to  @ post 17054787 |  #169

. Camera bodies change frequently and one year Nikon is better, but then Canon the next:
With Canon going it solo in the development of their sensors/bodies/lens it may prove to be their eventual undoing. I believe the Nikon/Sony "alliance" is just the beginning and everyone should expect more of the same as other competitors begin to follow suit. Cultivating and combining individual ideas and resources into a finished product that is greater than the sum of its parts is the future of the manufacturing process. Canons willingness or stubborness, depending on how you view it to go it alone is going against the grain of what many companies are doing to stay competitive in today's market. Time will tell whethor or not Canon is a visionary company or becomes a footnote in the industry.]

I don't think canon are frightened to use other manufacturers sensors if it gives them a better camera, they've done it in the past along with Nikon. In 1995 Canon and Nikon made dslrs using Kodak sensors.
I have read that canon prefers to design its own sensors as they are better able to produce a sensor/processor package than if they buy a 3rd party sensor and marry it to their digic processors. that may well be the case and why they've not opted for the sony and we don't know that they aren't developing something new.

to the op, buy what you like , its your money......and enjoy it.

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2014 09:26 |  #170

Agree, but they are not exactly the cheapest. The 17 TS-E is manual focus only and you usually buy it if you're in the business of creating shots that require frequent use of it. Photography is not a lucrative business to be in. Super teles are usually rented or provided by your employer if you do it professionally. Either Nikon or canon, these kinds of lenses don't end up in most people's gear list due to cost. So they basically shouldn't use it as a reason. I mentioned in my previous post about the 17 TS-E, I don't have one, but it is next in my list. Cost is not an issue for me, but having the amount of gear I currently have, I struggle deciding if I need more and how much use will I get from having it. As a hobbyist, I don't want to be wheeling around a pelican case everywhere I go. This is my dilemma. Also a reason why mirrorless systems are the future! Same creative capabilities in a smaller package.

I find it funny when people in general defend the brand they own, either to justify their purchase or just because they purchase based on numbers and measurebate over them. What's even worse is when they hang out in another manufacturers forum and try to convince others to switch and further justify their purchase.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 25, 2014 12:47 |  #171

sf_loft wrote in post #17055171 (external link)
What's even worse is when they hang out in another manufacturers forum and try to convince others to switch and further justify their purchase.

Remember that POTN is moving away from being a Canon forum and into being a generic photography forum. And with lots of people reading threads from the "New Posts" selection, it isn't always obvious what subforum the thread actually belongs to.

While I do feel it's quite a bit funny how people feel a need to defend their gear (and a number of threads have been written about that specific subject), I also find it quite a bit funny when people respond to such posts showing exactly how hurt they feel - which obviously means that they too feel this urge to defend their gear.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,955 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jul 25, 2014 13:25 |  #172

pwm2 wrote in post #17055554 (external link)
Remember that POTN is moving away from being a Canon forum and into being a generic photography forum. And with lots of people reading threads from the "New Posts" selection, it isn't always obvious what subforum the thread actually belongs to.

While I do feel it's quite a bit funny how people feel a need to defend their gear (and a number of threads have been written about that specific subject), I also find it quite a bit funny when people respond to such posts showing exactly how hurt they feel - which obviously means that they too feel this urge to defend their gear.

I notice the majority of those defending spend more time doing exactly that than taking pictures ;) :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 25, 2014 13:30 |  #173

vipergts831 wrote in post #17055654 (external link)
I notice the majority of those defending spend more time doing exactly that than taking pictures ;) :lol:

You could upgrade that statement to "I notice the majority of people making lots of posts on this forum spends more time doing exactly that than taking pictures".

But then again - the day has 24 hours, and lots of stuff can be done in-between too.

It's just that forums are a suitable platform for debates. So it's expected to be lots of debates. It's just the "you should switch" debates I feel a bit brain-dead, since I can't see why person A should feel a need to try to convince person B that person B needs to switch their OS/phone/camera/car/..​. to some other brand. The logical thing would be to just figure out "what works well for me?" without worrying too much about other people making different choices.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 25, 2014 14:56 |  #174

That's why I switched. Canon makes great glass with L designation at 1.4 and 1.2... and just mediocre cost effective stuff at f/2. And the whole telephoto sports thing with a 1d body is awesome.

But I wanted a more compact system with great compact primes, and they're just not quite there.

Maybe the fact that 35/2 IS came out changed it around a bit, but 50 is still not there. 28 is still not there.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 25, 2014 17:42 |  #175

I have to say I used to love coming on here as it was so informative with regards to technique, settings etc. Good feedback could be obtained on images presented, but that has slowly declined.

This forum is now filled with posts along the lines of should I buy a 300mm f2.8 or get a nifty fifty, or im thinking of getting a 70d but should I buy a 1dx.

Canon and Nikon make great cameras, they work far better than any camera could have done when I started out 45 years ago, I just don't get this need to ask "which one" without first analysing :-
1/ personal needs, 2/ personal budget, 3/ personal desire.

Do people walk down the street and go up to a complete stranger and say ive got £3 or $5 and say im hungry, should I go to macdonalds or burger king?.....I don't get it.

I guess the data provided by the internet is easy to research rather than going out and trying, but real world trying would probably end up with a better purchase as its the individuals who make the choice and not just a concensus of opinions by those who may be biased. This is probably compounded by the lack of local salesrooms and by buying cheap from internet based warehouses.

This forum needs to get back to photography and all the pleasures that photography can give, rather than the endless posts on retailing and brand competitiveness.

To the op, go buy a Nikon, if it allows you to take great pictures and you enjoy using it, it will be money well spent, show the images here....and I would say the same to all canon users. Lets get back to images, how we captured them, rather than with what we used

Now, im thinking of buying a 400m f2.8 to fit to my mirrorless camera using an adaptor, should I instead buy a 35mm lens, or maybe get a 5d mk3 :)

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

VaDimZH
996 posts
Gallery: 618 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 28, 2014 02:06 |  #176

sf_loft wrote in post #17054172 (external link)
Reasons to stick with Canon.

2. Lenses - Look at the available Nikon / Nikor lenses with that of Canon. You do not have the holy grail of lenses 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2, and 135mm f2.

Yes,Nikon have a 35mm
Nikon have a 58mm
Nikon also have 85mm (no big difference between 1.2 and 1.4,bokeh is same)
And of course Nikon have a 135mm

Body: Canon 5D
Optics: Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
Flash: Canon 430EX III RT
Bag: Think Tank SPEED FREAK V2.0
Monitor: NEC PA272W-BK-SV
flickr (external link)

VaDimZH
996 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 28, 2014 02:10 |  #177

Reasons to stick with Canon.

4. Video - if you shoot video, Nikon had to try multiple times to get their video quality to look like Canon's first video capable DSLR. Better video ISO sensitivity and quality.

Nikon D810 video is a MUCH better than Canon's,just watch comparison between D810 an 5D Mark III on You Tube - http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=PDrUlZYvgdE (external link)

flickr (external link)

VaDimZH
996 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 28, 2014 02:16 |  #178

I went with Canon purely for their lens lineup.

Just for lens lineup? What about legendary Nikkor lens? Gold ring quality ! Sharpness ! Nikkor reputations lens is always quality and sharpness !

Nikon also make a more reliable camera/lenses !

Canon guys very often use Canon Customer Service BECAUSE their cameras/lenses is NOT very reliable compared to Nikon !

With Nikon you probably forget about customer service !

flickr (external link)

VaDimZH
996 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 28, 2014 02:26 |  #179

3. Street cred. :) - See a red ring around your lenses and you get respect from other photographers. I can't tell a Nikor lens from a Tamron. Not that there's anything wrong with Tamron.

Hahahahahaha !!!

Take a time and look at Craigslist,a LOT of 24-105mm L for sale ! Yeah,a chip red ring,red ring,red ring........:(:rolleyes:

flickr (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 28, 2014 02:28 |  #180

Beard Man wrote in post #17060712 (external link)
Just for lens lineup? What about legendary Nikkor lens? Gold ring quality ! Sharpness ! Nikkor reputations lens is always quality and sharpness !

Nikon also make a more reliable camera/lenses !

Canon guys very often use Canon Customer Service BECAUSE their cameras/lenses is NOT very reliable compared to Nikon !

With Nikon you probably forget about customer service !

Maybe you should remember to not troll so much.

Or prepare and present some actual statistics that backs your claims - and then obviously statistics that takes into account that Canon sells more gear and so can have more cameras/lenses serviced while still having the same percentage of sold units needing service.

sponsored links

27,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Give me a reason to stay with Canon?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.