Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 12 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

untitled

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,484 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2014 16:43 |  #1

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_01902.jpg

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,830 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jul 12, 2014 18:17 |  #2

Interesting, could be a nice wall-sized print.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

airfrogusmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
36,484 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2014 19:09 |  #3

Pekka wrote in post #17027575 (external link)
Interesting, could be a nice wall-sized print.

Thanks. :D

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 26, 2014 23:20 |  #4

Man. Oh, man, you're killing me here. For starters, I really feel like this image goes so well with the other one that they should have been lumped together instead of being made separate pieces. I'm not sure why you did that. These two images are possibly redundant but I have a really hard time saying that they are because I'd have to put them side by side to say so and I'm too lazy to do that. Let me say that I love both images, but I'm really curious why you chose to present these two images separately.

Anyway, I love the images. But I've gotta say something, and this isn't fair. From what I've seen of your other work, that stuff makes this look like a bunch of crap. Yeah, I know. That's entirely unfair. The work should be judged on its own, etc. But I can't do that. Comparisons are really important, and I've seen enough of your other work that I honestly can't help but to compare this to that. And your other stuff (what I've seen) is FAR more interesting.

Having said that, this looks really good. The texture is just wonderful, I love the light playing off of the surface, and it's really cool how those large drops relate to the repeating texture of the surface. I also think the color works really well, especially with the hint of the orange tones relating to the blue (the other image makes this more prominent, but I can't talk too much about that since I'm not looking at that image right now). From a design standpoint, I think this is really solid and I want to get in and explore it.

Also, it's impossible to know without seeing a comparison, but I'm gonna speculate that this is the wrong presentation for the image. This seems to be begging to be printed big. Either that, or I need to get a bigger monitor. But I suspect that the way I'm seeing the image isn't doing the image any justice.

Anyway, this is really good. But having seen some of your other stuff, I can't help but to draw comparisons and say that this isn't your best work. I'm not sure if you do this kind of work frequently (and if you don't, then it's good that you're stepping out of your comfort zone), but this really does two things: 1) make me want to see habakuk abstracts and 2) make me want to go look at some of your street photography. Again, don't get me wrong, I really love the images. But based on what I've seen from you, I'm not seeing your personal stamp here. This doesn't look like airfrog's unique take on this kind of photography, this looks like a habakuk image. This either reminds me how cool his images are and make me want to see more of them, or it makes me remember how cool your other images are and makes me want to stop looking at this and go look at that stuff. And yeah...I realize that it's totally not fair to either of you guys for me to say that. But if I'm gonna speak honestly, I've gotta say it.

airfrogusmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
36,484 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 06, 2014 22:48 |  #5

Clean Gene wrote in post #17058418 (external link)
Man. Oh, man, you're killing me here. For starters, I really feel like this image goes so well with the other one that they should have been lumped together instead of being made separate pieces. I'm not sure why you did that. These two images are possibly redundant but I have a really hard time saying that they are because I'd have to put them side by side to say so and I'm too lazy to do that. Let me say that I love both images, but I'm really curious why you chose to present these two images separately.

Anyway, I love the images. But I've gotta say something, and this isn't fair. From what I've seen of your other work, that stuff makes this look like a bunch of crap. Yeah, I know. That's entirely unfair. The work should be judged on its own, etc. But I can't do that. Comparisons are really important, and I've seen enough of your other work that I honestly can't help but to compare this to that. And your other stuff (what I've seen) is FAR more interesting.

Having said that, this looks really good. The texture is just wonderful, I love the light playing off of the surface, and it's really cool how those large drops relate to the repeating texture of the surface. I also think the color works really well, especially with the hint of the orange tones relating to the blue (the other image makes this more prominent, but I can't talk too much about that since I'm not looking at that image right now). From a design standpoint, I think this is really solid and I want to get in and explore it.

Also, it's impossible to know without seeing a comparison, but I'm gonna speculate that this is the wrong presentation for the image. This seems to be begging to be printed big. Either that, or I need to get a bigger monitor. But I suspect that the way I'm seeing the image isn't doing the image any justice.

Anyway, this is really good. But having seen some of your other stuff, I can't help but to draw comparisons and say that this isn't your best work. I'm not sure if you do this kind of work frequently (and if you don't, then it's good that you're stepping out of your comfort zone), but this really does two things: 1) make me want to see habakuk abstracts and 2) make me want to go look at some of your street photography. Again, don't get me wrong, I really love the images. But based on what I've seen from you, I'm not seeing your personal stamp here. This doesn't look like airfrog's unique take on this kind of photography, this looks like a habakuk image. This either reminds me how cool his images are and make me want to see more of them, or it makes me remember how cool your other images are and makes me want to stop looking at this and go look at that stuff. And yeah...I realize that it's totally not fair to either of you guys for me to say that. But if I'm gonna speak honestly, I've gotta say it.

Gene just saw this. Sorry I missed it. I sometimes come across something I can't help photograph even though it's not something I am currently working on. This was the case with this and the other one. It was a back windshield on a 1930s truck that was sitting in a field for decades. I do agree that I think my street work is stronger and i don't plan on changing directions anytime soon. Thanks for the comments and I mostly agree.

greyswan
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 07, 2014 07:14 |  #6

beautiful - I love abstracts.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

airfrogusmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
36,484 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Dec 07, 2014 07:52 |  #7

greyswan wrote in post #17317953 (external link)
beautiful - I love abstracts.

Thanks....

The other image that Gene was talking about.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1387774

greyswan
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 01, 2015 04:58 |  #8

I actually prefer this image to the other. It has more vibrance to me, but YMMV.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links

1,946 views & 1 like for this thread
untitled
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.