Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 26 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 13:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lost touch with my inner photographer... how to get it back?

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 26, 2014 13:55 |  #1

I've been out of commission for a few months now. Haven't hardly used my gear which was very unusual. I normally use my gear every weekend and I've gone weeks without using it. Last things I did was a couple cash smashes for some friends kids and did some stuff for my kids and it was getting pretty good I was using my studio stuff alot but it was also alot of work too.

I think I got burned out. Plus I've been showing interest in modifying a vehicle I recently got so I think my "interest" in photography has gone away.

Has anyone else experienced the same and what do you suggest I try to relight that spark?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 27, 2014 01:11 |  #2

Talley wrote in post #17057646 (external link)
I've been out of commission for a few months now. Haven't hardly used my gear which was very unusual. I normally use my gear every weekend and I've gone weeks without using it. Last things I did was a couple cash smashes for some friends kids and did some stuff for my kids and it was getting pretty good I was using my studio stuff alot but it was also alot of work too.

I think I got burned out. Plus I've been showing interest in modifying a vehicle I recently got so I think my "interest" in photography has gone away.

Has anyone else experienced the same and what do you suggest I try to relight that spark?

So, here's my question: why do you do photography? Do you do it because it's fun? Or do you do it because you're a photographer/artist and creating content is your job (whether you're getting paid for it or not)?

And I'm not being rhetorical. That's a critical question. And if you don't know the answer, I think you'd do well to figure it out.

If you do this stuff because it's fun, then why beat yourself up over the fact that you've "lost the spark"? If it's just about fun, and it's not fun any more, then screw it and just find something else to do.

And if you do this because it's your job as a photographer/artist, then there's really no solution other than to keep on doing it. Maybe you'll gravitate towards some different kinds of photographic work, but you won't discover what that is without continuing to work. It's not always gonna be fun and sometimes you'll feel like you're stuck in a rut, but you're probably not gonna get out of the rut if you don't do the work.

So, that's the question. Is this fun or is it work? If you just do it for fun, and it has stopped being fun, then why act as if you need to keep on doing it? And if it's work, then the first thing you should do is to make sure that you keep working. Maybe good things will happen, maybe they won't, but you're a photographer and doing this is your job. And it's just like any other job. Nothing good happens if you don't show up and/or don't do the work. And even if nothing good ever comes from it again, at least you did your part by showing up and doing your job.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 27, 2014 02:02 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

My honest opinion....you have never been a photographer at all, you are more attracted to gear just for the gear and the gear only. Your post history supports my theory here. Your threads are full of insecurities and most are just focusing in gear and never really into photography at all.

Like almost all who just focus into the gadgets you have lost interest and quite possibly you will find another thing to throw money at. Its not a negative or bad thing but is mostly what your threads show. Good luck.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 27, 2014 03:46 |  #4

Talley wrote in post #17057646 (external link)
I've been showing interest in modifying a vehicle

well there ya go!!
you have to photograph your progress on said soon to be modified vehicle!! The two go hand-in-hand..also find yourself a cute little model to work with, and voila, the photos will be flowin in no time..

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

OhLook
you get what you get
19,327 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 27, 2014 10:51 |  #5

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #17058568 (external link)
My honest opinion....you have never been a photographer at all, you are more attracted to gear just for the gear and the gear only. Your post history supports my theory here.

This idea seemed strange to me--why would anyone take up photography just for the tools--but after looking down the list of recent posts from Talley's profile page, I tend to agree.

Talley, you wrote: "Haven't hardly used my gear which was very unusual. I normally use my gear every weekend and I've gone weeks without using it." If I were to stop taking pictures for a while, I'd probably say that I hadn't gone out shooting, rather than that I hadn't used my gear.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2014 11:29 |  #6

Sell the photo gear and put the money toward your new interest. Its going down in value anyway, get rid of it now. You can replace it later if the photo bug bites you, and if you are away ling enough you'll get either better new gear or cheaper used gear. Take photos of you car thing with a phone...

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 27, 2014 21:54 |  #7

I have a number of significant hobby/interests
amateur radio, photography, astronomy to name 3 of them

I find that over the years my interests in any one of them can wax and wane.
For the last 12 months or so, my amateur radio has taken a major loss of interest hit,
but the photography interests have been on fire with some new gear and putting major efforts into learning lighting, portraiture etc
Personally I like the multiple interests and its interesting to note my seasons with each one :)

keep you photography going ... as James suggests use your gear to document your vehicle restoration.
DONT just take snapshots of the resto. but take good calculated pics and build some learning into your photography by
applying different lighting techniques etc :)

cheers
Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

smooth3000
Goldmember
1,520 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011

Jul 29, 2014 01:41 |  #8

Ummmm sell me the Tamron 24-70 if you're done with photography haha.
Hop on Model Mayhem and find your spark again :)

Website (external link) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) |Instagram (external link)
D750

JoshuaPT
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 29, 2014 01:49 |  #9

Sounds like your just kind of burnt out with the type of photos your doing, I first got into photography by taking Iphone pics of my car. Once I got a real DSLR I never took a picture of my car, Once you "pimp" your ride out you might get into car pictures of something.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 29, 2014 20:19 |  #10

Clean Gene wrote in post #17058540 (external link)
So, here's my question: why do you do photography? Do you do it because it's fun? Or do you do it because you're a photographer/artist and creating content is your job (whether you're getting paid for it or not)?

If you do this stuff because it's fun, then why beat yourself up over the fact that you've "lost the spark"? If it's just about fun, and it's not fun any more, then screw it and just find something else to do.

And if you do this because it's your job as a photographer/artist, then there's really no solution other than to keep on doing it. Maybe you'll gravitate towards some different kinds of photographic work, but you won't discover what that is without continuing to work. It's not always gonna be fun and sometimes you'll feel like you're stuck in a rut, but you're probably not gonna get out of the rut if you don't do the work.

So, that's the question. Is this fun or is it work? If you just do it for fun, and it has stopped being fun, then why act as if you need to keep on doing it? And if it's work, then the first thing you should do is to make sure that you keep working. Maybe good things will happen, maybe they won't, but you're a photographer and doing this is your job. And it's just like any other job. Nothing good happens if you don't show up and/or don't do the work. And even if nothing good ever comes from it again, at least you did your part by showing up and doing your job.

Purely fun. I got into the "SLR" photography because at the time I had my 3rd kid and she was umm... say 2 years old. We had always used cameras like the Canon S5, S10, S20... etc. I wanted a camera that provided the ultimate best image quality possible and my research said it was the glass.... and that glass attaches to the SLR cameras. I've never done any more than "My Kid" photography. Maybe because it's summer and it's uber busy at work so my kids haven't done much is why. who knows.

I think it's also a thing like writers block. I'm not great on creativity and lack that eye that alot of guys have to make creative images. I think the main thing is I really feel I've mastered the art of exposure/gear settings etc... I can go into any situation and pull off a decent image.... but now I'm stumped on the creative side.

Another thing is I've been so busy with work I simply do not go anywhere lately so stuck at the house I don't really want to get creative with shots inside a kid clustered messy house. Hopefully this sums up your response.

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #17058568 (external link)
My honest opinion....you have never been a photographer at all, you are more attracted to gear just for the gear and the gear only. Your post history supports my theory here. Your threads are full of insecurities and most are just focusing in gear and never really into photography at all.

Like almost all who just focus into the gadgets you have lost interest and quite possibly you will find another thing to throw money at. Its not a negative or bad thing but is mostly what your threads show. Good luck.

I am a gear head. I might ever be a real photographer but you should see my images from 3 years ago to the images of today. Yes the gear plays some part in it but a photographer knows how to use his tools to create the image he wants and I can for the most part pull that off.

Maybe because I don't share my images as much as other people here do makes you thin I'm not a photographer. I do stick to the gear talk, I like that side of the hobby. Again my photography is "My kid" photography and simply put I just limit the amount of images I put up of them on the internet for public masses to see.

All in all.... I think it's the busy part. I feel that if I have this nice camera gear then I should be using it and I haven't like I normally had in the past. I have a bunch of studio stuff and I love setting it up and trying things out but "My Kid" aren't cooperative much and mommy not interested.

I need to find that boss in me and get these kids in shape with my needs lol.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 29, 2014 20:35 |  #11

Talley wrote in post #17064898 (external link)
. . . I have a bunch of studio stuff and I love setting it up and trying things out but "My Kid" aren't cooperative much and mommy not interested.

I need to find that boss in me and get these kids in shape with my needs lol.

So, make documenting your mods to your vehicle a project . . . It'll stretch your skill set too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

1,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lost touch with my inner photographer... how to get it back?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.