Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

installing new internal hard drive questions

shootreadyaim
255 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 26, 2014 18:00 |  #1

So I am an analog guy in a digital world and now must install another internal hard drive (HD) and need some basic education.
Background: I currently have a 1 TB internal hard drive that is near full and have the capabiliy to add another internal hard drive in my computer. i have backed my photos on my inital hd to an external HD. my operating system is windows 7
OK my questions I have both lightroom 5 and photoshop cs5 on my inital internal HD.
when I install my second(new)internal HD will i have to install my lightroom 5 and cs5 on this drive? if not how do i down load photos from my memory card to that new HD? or I guess what iI'm saying is what the hell do I have to do to get a second HD up and running (once I physically install the second hard drive) in conjunction with my initial HD or does it work independantly. in short I don't know what to do to set up and use a second hard drive after I install it in the computer. sorry for sounding so dumb about this can anyone give me instructions. I pretty much us lightroom exclusively cs5 has not been opened yet to antimidating for me at this point.

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 27, 2014 03:55 |  #2

Install the drive, partition the drive, and format it. Your computer will work the same except you'll have a new drive you can save images and other things onto. You don't need to move anything.

It's quite simple, but if you're not a computer person then a computer savvy friend or one of those geeks on wheels places can do it for you in 30 minutes, and show you how to use it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2014 10:38 |  #3

Shut down the computer and unplug, hook up the new drive to power and the motherboard, and screw it into a slot in the case.
Boot up, Right-click My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management
Find the new drive, which might not have drive letter assigned.
If it does, might not need to do anything else.
If it doesn't and the space is unallocated (Black bar instead of Blue), then right-click the unpartitioned space, and partition and format it.
*******Make sure your aren't doing anything to your system C: drive when in Disk Management***********
Also, not a bad idea to create an image of your system before you do anything, and save it inside a folder onto your external drive. I'd recommend Macrium Reflect Free to do it. www.macrium.com/reflec​tfree.aspx (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

600 views & 0 likes for this thread
installing new internal hard drive questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.