Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 25 Jul 2014 (Friday) 23:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AC Milan vs Olympiakos FC

figo
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 25, 2014 23:04 |  #1

Had the opportunity to shoot a Guiness Cup game in Toronto last night. Here are a few of my pictures and please feel free to critique my images.

Pic #1

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/14555692639_e6fdbc0fcc_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/obeJ​iV  (external link) AC MILAN vs Olympiakos - BMO Field Toronto 2014 (external link) by ksousaphoto (external link), on Flickr

Pic #2
IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3900/14559323379_28f70aab97_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/obyk​AT  (external link) acmilan-377 (external link) by ksousaphoto (external link), on Flickr

Pic #3 - Super Mario Balotelli
IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3856/14739959504_3249c3f068_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/osw9​qQ  (external link) AC MILAN vs Olympiakos - BMO Field Toronto 2014 (external link) by ksousaphoto (external link), on Flickr

Also, I know this question has been asked before but do you shoot RAW or JPEG when shooting sports? I normally shoot in RAW but decided to take most of these pictures in JPEG mode because I was afraid of the buffering on my 1D M3 and losing a great pic.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

sponsored links
Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 26, 2014 06:46 |  #2

I always shoot in jpg for that reason. Also, the editing of raw just takes too long :-)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 26, 2014 12:17 |  #3

Hannya wrote in post #17057042 (external link)
I always shoot in jpg for that reason. Also, the editing of raw just takes too long :-)

I for one have never understood this logic. In this day and age, especially in programs like Lightroom, editing, cropping and tweaking a RAW image takes me as much time as it would a JPEG image, so given that, when shooting sports where lighting can sometimes be an issue, why not take advantage of the flexibility that RAW provides in terms of allowing for better adjustment of lighting issues.

I can understand it if a client needs JPEG images right out of camera for instant deadlines or whatever, but if you want the most flexibility and latitude in post, shoot RAW and then export to JPEG.

As to the buffering issue, if you work on timing, buffering is not an issue. I have found that my FPS drops only near the end of long sequences, which I rarely need, but by then the peak action is already over. If you can shoot peak action at say 5-7 frame bursts, then you should have the pic and not need to worry about missing it because of buffer issues.

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,020 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 26, 2014 12:19 |  #4

Really like #2!
I always shoot RAW. I don't machine gun shoot either so the buffer is never an issue.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 26, 2014 21:24 |  #5

Ok, the jury has spoken and I will be shooting RAW during the RM vs MANU game.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 27, 2014 12:45 |  #6

Well, editing a load of pics for galleries, uploading etc etc takes quite a bit of computer time. I learned that using a professional level camera body can be set up so that although there are advantages with raw for some things, it just isn't a valid use of my time. Doesn't seem much point in paying big bucks for equipment and not using it to advantage. Horses for courses. Just how my workflow has developed since shooting sports ....

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 27, 2014 18:46 |  #7

Excellent point! I noticed that the JPEGs looked great in Lightroom without me having to do very little editing.

Hannya wrote in post #17059378 (external link)
Well, editing a load of pics for galleries, uploading etc etc takes quite a bit of computer time. I learned that using a professional level camera body can be set up so that although there are advantages with raw for some things, it just isn't a valid use of my time. Doesn't seem much point in paying big bucks for equipment and not using it to advantage. Horses for courses. Just how my workflow has developed since shooting sports ....

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2014 22:07 |  #8

With my workflow and just about any other pro's workflow there is no difference between processing RAW vs JPG. But... the benefits of shooting RAW are great considering the information stored in the file and what can be recovered.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

grols
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 28, 2014 07:35 |  #9

that instead of showing the emblem of Milan?

Mister ­ Scott
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 01, 2014 13:13 |  #10

Very Much look forward to the Madrid v Man U pics.
I generally ish shoot RAW all of the time, but there are odd occasions i will drop to jpeg if i want a longer burst, birds in flight, at the racetrack etc.
Don't tie yourself down to any format just try and make sure all the important shots are in RAW heh heh.
That should be one helluva game btw.

Mister ­ Scott
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 01, 2014 18:00 |  #11

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo will miss out on a reunion with former club Manchester United after being ruled out their clash in Michigan.

United will play the Spanish giants on the outskirts of Detroit, where a record 109,000 crowd is expected at Michigan Stadium, more commonly known as the 'Big House' as it is the third-biggest sports arena in the world.

Having already beaten Inter Milan and AS Roma, a victory for Louis van Gaal's team will guarantee them a place in the International Champions Cup final.

Speaking on Friday evening, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed that Ronaldo would not feature, wanting to keep him fit for the European Super Cup clash against Sevilla in Cardiff on August 12.

"Ronaldo is working hard but we won't put him out on Saturday," the former Chelsea boss said.

"He will begin training with the squad in Spain after the tour as we plan to use him in the Super Cup."

sponsored links

1,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
AC Milan vs Olympiakos FC
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.