Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Jul 2014 (Sunday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First post here, looking for honest c/c

jon1977
50 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 27, 2014 19:07 |  #1

I am new to taking portraits, and photography in general. Would appreciate any and all input. Thanks, Jon

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1053.photobuck​et.com …Jonneale1977/IM​G_9254.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
jon1977
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 27, 2014 19:09 |  #2

50d-nifty 50

losangelino
945 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 27, 2014 20:26 |  #3

Hey Jon, nice capture of the expression. 2 things. First it's easily fixable--color, white balance is off and too much saturation. Two, she is out of focus. I do love the expression, framing and background separation. You did 99% right. Just nailing the razor thin focus is the big thing.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

jon1977
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 27, 2014 20:39 |  #4

losangelino wrote in post #17060239 (external link)
Hey Jon, nice capture of the expression. 2 things. First it's easily fixable--color, white balance is off and too much saturation. Two, she is out of focus. I do love the expression, framing and background separation. You did 99% right. Just nailing the razor thin focus is the big thing.

Thank you for the input I really appreciate it. I had the camera set to auto selection on the focus point as I have not learned to use the manual selection quickly enough when taking photos of children. I hope that explains the focus issue. Gives me an insight on what to work on, thanks again. Jon

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 28, 2014 01:45 |  #5

I find it easier to use the center point only. Use it to get focus and then quickly re-compose and take the shot.

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 28, 2014 03:25 |  #6

losangelino wrote in post #17060239 (external link)
Hey Jon, nice capture of the expression. 2 things. First it's easily fixable--color, white balance is off and too much saturation. Two, she is out of focus.

+1
to track kids (unless they are sitting), use AI Servo ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 28, 2014 11:25 |  #7

As above.

V good for 1st go!

A couple more:

looks like you have added vignette. I wouldn't.

It's a bit hot (bright) on her chest I'd tone that done a notch.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

awardticket
285 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 28, 2014 20:24 |  #8

Where is the focus on this shot? Is it on the braid on the right side of her head? What do you guys think?

jon1977
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 29, 2014 19:50 |  #9

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 29, 2014 20:48 |  #10

Apart from being out of focus, I personally really like the PP on this photo :) I think if you had a whole series of this day, playing under the sprinkler(or whatever it is you're doing lol) with this same theme going it would be great!

PhotosGuy
75,913 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 30, 2014 09:06 |  #11

jon1977 wrote in post #17060266 (external link)
Thank you for the input I really appreciate it. I had the camera set to auto selection on the focus point as I have not learned to use the manual selection quickly enough when taking photos of children. I hope that explains the focus issue. Gives me an insight on what to work on, thanks again. Jon

If you have to do that, step back & shoot wider so that you have room to crop some of that empty headroom off the top. Or shoot a vertical. There's nothing outside of her that I find interesting enough to include it.
What camera? Better yet, Look in your manual & see if you have Custom Functions to put point selection on the Multicontroller (Joystick).

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 30, 2014 09:16 |  #12

I actually like the slightly warmer tones and the heavy saturation for this image, although that's not normally my style. As far as PP goes the only thing I would do differently is pull the contrast back a bit.

The bigger issue as has already been pointed out is that she is a bit out of focus. Shoot a bit wider or stop down a bit to give you some more DOF to work with. Other than that very nice first go.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

MisterMiagi72
66 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 30, 2014 09:30 |  #13

Great shot but as everyone says, the focus. With the 50mm you don't have to always shoot at the lowest aperture. I find it pretty hard to get good focused portraits using my 50 at 1.4. Probably because I'm not ninja enough yet but yea =P.

Do it now! Travel Photography (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,467 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 30, 2014 11:33 |  #14

It's out of focus. Over saturated. Very green (maybe it's my monitor, but I don't think so). And maybe 1/2 a stop overexposed.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

DMGphotos
47 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 30, 2014 12:23 |  #15

Spot focus with kids since they are always moving. Think of the canvas first, what is behind and around. Does it make sense for the child to be a third to the left of frame or right. Dead center? And then spot focus. This would be a nicer shot if the spot focusing was on the face. Due to wide open aperture, her shirt is focused but not the pretty face.

And yes, careful on colors and saturations. This probably would have worked with softening since her face is out of focus....could go for that soft effect and it would come out a little better.

Canon 5D3 & T2i - Canon 70-200 F/2.8 Non IS - Nifty-50 - Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 - Sigma 15mm 180° Fisheye - (2) 580 EXII
DMG Photos (external link)
Tim Connolly Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
First post here, looking for honest c/c
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.