Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 15 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fernando De Noronha, Brazil

Jganzer1
26 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 15, 2014 10:01 |  #1

My wife and I went to Brazil for the World Cup and took a side trip to the incredibly beautiful island of Fernando De Noronha. The island is essentially an ecological preserve and the Brazilian government only allows about 400 people on the island at any one time. It also boasts TripAdvisor's #1 beach in the world!

This was my first attempt at taking any landscape photos, but the scenery was too good to pass up. So, if anyone has any constructive criticism, it would be very much appreciated.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2895/14659394044_e428f8998f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/okpe​8b  (external link) 140617_untitled1733.jp​g (external link) by jganzer2 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3888/14661477652_775e120afe_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/okzU​vs  (external link) 140617_untitled1785.jp​g (external link) by jganzer2 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3901/14475254469_a63228bdc8_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/o48s​QV  (external link) Baia dos Porcos HDR 1.jpg (external link) by jganzer2 (external link), on Flickr

I went back and forth about whether these should go in under the travel forum or landscapes and I figured in the end, either would be correct, but please let me know if this is not the correct forum.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Canonguy39
560 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 27, 2014 16:32 |  #2

Very nice! Looks like a beautiful area.

Rod
7D, 40D, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 17-85 IS USM, 24-105 l4 IS USM, 55-250 IS, 50mm 1.8, 580ex II & 420ex speedlites, and various other supporting items (but never enough :grin:).

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 28, 2014 08:52 |  #3

I like the interplay of the colors in the first image. Gorgeous location.

Jon ­ Clemens
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 28, 2014 10:25 |  #4

With regard to which sub-forum, there is some crossover between travel and landscapes. With some notable exceptions,... 'landscapes' generally contains more photographs of scenery in which the photographer makes an effort to produce an artistic image. The 'travel' section tends to focus on destinations and includes a lot of photos that have minimal artistic merit, and are sometimes little more than snapshots.

Anyway, I would have placed yours in the 'landscape' section. Whether by intent, or just luck, you have produced some good photos. The first one is very strong with regard to composition, and very nicely leads the viewer from the foreground along the shore into the cove, and back to the left to end up at the hill. It's a classic S-shaped journey. The second isn't quite as strong since the subject is naturally the beach, but that rocky point in the upper right leads the viewer out of the picture without a strong element to bring one back to the beach. The third has a lot of potential, but doesn't have a clear subject. As is frequently the case with a scenic shot, it may not have been possible to get to a position where better composition was possible.

As for why postings sometimes don't get many responses,... it may just be the time of year. A lot of photographers are out taking pictures rather than looking at the forums.

Canon 7D | 400L | 70-200L | 24-105L | Tokina 11-16
jonclemensphotography.​com

sharod
632 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 28, 2014 16:36 as a reply to  @ Jon Clemens's post |  #5

Stunning, all of them!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

James_Shade
430 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 28, 2014 20:45 |  #6

Beauty beyond belief. I'm shaking in my boots. I need to travel there!

Jganzer1
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 29, 2014 07:37 as a reply to  @ James_Shade's post |  #7

Thanks for all the kind words. I also appreciate the constructive criticism. The composition was mostly on purpose - but for the second and third, it was severely limited by the trail that runs up on the cliffs, so what I got was about as good as I could get - well without risking falling about 200 feet!

flickr (external link)

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 29, 2014 23:11 |  #8

Nice compositions.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

sponsored links

1,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fernando De Noronha, Brazil
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.