Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2014 (Monday) 09:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS-M ?

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 28, 2014 09:26 |  #1

Well, I finally had an "oops" moment which has me looking at my Lumix LX with a shattered back screen. I typically use it as a travel camera as my daughter currently lives out of state so I fly to see her each month. I typically have the Lumix with me for that and it takes an okay photo, so it's been a good tool for me.

Now, the rest of my cameras are all EOS bodies and I'm wondering if just buying the EOS-M body to use with my current lenses is worth it, or if I should just find another affordable P&S to get?

I know using the M with the adaptor and the lenses will make it a bit bulky. For those of you that have the EOS-M and something like a 40d or 5d, how do they compare size wise? Or does it only seem useful to carry around with the 22mm on it?

I am pretty sad the Lumix got broken, but it was my own fault. Luckily I was able to get the pics off of it with no issues.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

sponsored links
kuvhmoob
290 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 28, 2014 09:34 |  #2

What happened to your Lumix LX?

5D + Tamron 28-75, T2i + Tamron 17-50 non-VC, Panasonic Lumix LX7

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 28, 2014 09:41 |  #3

kuvhmoob wrote in post #17061226 (external link)
What happened to your Lumix LX?

I got tripped in downtown Chattanooga and even though it was in a carry case it shattered the back screen bad. It's got too many sharp edges now to use with all the broken glass or whatever the material is.

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 28, 2014 09:42 |  #4

My other idea was to get another Lumix if the batteries and few filter accessories I have would work on the LX5 or LX7. The one I have is the LX3.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2014 11:14 |  #5

I just picked up the EOS M and waiting for the adapter. I would just pick up another Lumix. I did get the eos body for 207 and the adapter for 86 so its a sweet deal to use all of my Canon glass.
The Magic lantern with focusing peeking and time lapse sold me.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

arvinonline
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 28, 2014 12:35 |  #6

Have you loaded Magic Lantern on to your EOS-M yet? If so, how easy was it, and what benefits for still photography do you see?

A couple of bodies | A few lenses, some L, some not! Some speedlights...that's all

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 28, 2014 13:48 |  #7

I'm wondering if the LX7 is the way to go. I'm being told to look into the Fujifilm p&s's for travel use.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2014 14:21 |  #8

Fuji makes some great camera's and I heard the IQ is outstanding. The x20 would be a great travel camera.

kuvhmoob
290 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 28, 2014 14:21 |  #9

I got an LX7 and it is awesome...

5D + Tamron 28-75, T2i + Tamron 17-50 non-VC, Panasonic Lumix LX7

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 28, 2014 14:24 |  #10

arvinonline wrote in post #17061707 (external link)
Have you loaded Magic Lantern on to your EOS-M yet? If so, how easy was it, and what benefits for still photography do you see?

It's as easy as copying a file folder onto your SD card and clicking two bottoms.

www.youtube.com/watch?​v=oJ5Zwt_Nwa4 (external link)

it's mostly geared for video but does offer some big things for stills, such as cleaner images at higher ISOs.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

speedync
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 28, 2014 15:04 |  #11

I have the LX7, & the M. The LX7 is more physically enjoyable to shoot with. The M has slightly less DOF & slightly better IQ, if you print large. Some LX7 shots, & some ultrawide M shots. https://www.flickr.com​/gp/speedync30/wiD54n (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/gp/speedync30/0E7F9E (external link) I haven't got an M specific album, but feel free to browse through the stream & look. I think it's a better comparison seeing shots from the same person using both cameras.
Go M lenses. They are very reasonably priced, offer great IQ, & suit the camera better in size & weight. The whole point of the camera in the first place. Both cameras have their pros & cons. Up to you to decide which suits you better.

Edit -just quickly chucked an M album together, for comparison purposes. A bit of everything chucked in. https://www.flickr.com …0/sets/72157646​044385143/ (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2014 15:09 |  #12

Is the nightly build better than the alpha?

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 28, 2014 16:05 |  #13

The nightly builds are more to test new features and can be unstable, the alpha build is a stable version. I've been using it since October with no issues.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 28, 2014 17:06 |  #14

speedync wrote in post #17062022 (external link)
I have the LX7, & the M. The LX7 is more physically enjoyable to shoot with. The M has slightly less DOF & slightly better IQ, if you print large. Some LX7 shots, & some ultrawide M shots. https://www.flickr.com​/gp/speedync30/wiD54n (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/gp/speedync30/0E7F9E (external link) I haven't got an M specific album, but feel free to browse through the stream & look. I think it's a better comparison seeing shots from the same person using both cameras.
Go M lenses. They are very reasonably priced, offer great IQ, & suit the camera better in size & weight. The whole point of the camera in the first place. Both cameras have their pros & cons. Up to you to decide which suits you better.

Edit -just quickly chucked an M album together, for comparison purposes. A bit of everything chucked in. https://www.flickr.com …0/sets/72157646​044385143/ (external link)

Awesome! Thanks for the comparison. Every time I try to run by local big box stores the shelves are always desolate so I can't easily get hands on with older models.

I have seen some great x100s shots but can't afford that at this time. Wasn't really expecting to need to buy a new p&s but I guess that's life. I try to not rely on my iPhone 5 for all my pics while traveling.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 28, 2014 18:45 as a reply to  @ modestglock26's post |  #15

i have the DMC-LX5 and the Fuji X20
i like the LX5 for the size
and i like the manual zooming in the Fuji X20
the LX5 had a larger sensor than the LX7
http://snapsort.com …s-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-LX5 (external link)

and the Fuji X20 had a larger sensor than the LX5
http://snapsort.com …s-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-LX5 (external link)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links

1,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS-M ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.