Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2014 (Monday) 15:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Canon, when Nikon...

rapurimanka
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 29, 2014 00:39 |  #31

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17063033 (external link)
I have a few question for you, So why are you here? if you like Nikon better then Canon then why ask us? If you look at all the major sports NFL NBA Canon is the official camera, President Obama photographer uses Canon 5d III.

I love my Canon camera and I will always be a Canon man.

I'm here because i'm canon guy, but i see that nikon is doing better job for now. That's why i'm interested what can convince to stay on canon.

6D | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 24-105 4 | Lightroom 4
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/27393138@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links
Paulowen
128 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 29, 2014 00:46 as a reply to  @ rapurimanka's post |  #32

To be able to use the 17 and 24 TSE lenses is a good enough reason to stick with Canon for the time being :D

Gear? Don't want my wife seeing how much kit I've got ;)
www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk (external link)

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 29, 2014 01:24 |  #33

If you were to switch every time one of the big two got one up on each other, you'd end up spending a fortune!

Who knows what Canon will release next?

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2014 01:31 |  #34

For most things the brand won't matter. Plenty of heated discussion here on brand,/type of camera etc. There is so much choice. It's a great time to be into digital photography (even better if you have loads of money). Some models do one thing better than another or suit a user better because of x or y, but if you take any modern interchangeable lens camera it be hard to truly say it can't do a good job.

I think a lot of people worry more about gear than actual photos

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Hoplite84
67 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 29, 2014 01:56 |  #35

rapurimanka wrote in post #17063054 (external link)
I'm here because i'm canon guy, but i see that nikon is doing better job for now. That's why i'm interested what can convince to stay on canon.

How about you try the Nikon camera out and see if it is as good as dx0 mark says it is. Maybe see if in your area you can rent out a d800 or d610 for a week, then go out and shoot the hell out of it and compare for yourself.

Canon 6D. Canon T5i. Canon 24-105 f4L. Canon 70-200 f4L IS. Sigma 17-50 2.8. Tamron 28-75 2.8. Canon 18-55 STM.

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 29, 2014 02:09 |  #36

You must think of reliability. I think of Canon as tried and true. Nikon has some great qualities but unreliable as well as expensive.

If your getting paid and even one shot doesn't come out, your client will notice. If your camera fails or your focus goes nuts, your client will know. If your flash doesn't trigger and you miss the shot, your client know.

But....

If your dynamic range is 11 instead of 13, your client has no clue. You kick in the vibrance in Lightroom and your done.

imo

Nikon = Studio photographers
Canon = Everyone else

I've played this game many times and it always comes down to reliability. If you don't care about reliability and solely on image quality, you should always be carrying a tripod and only shoot HDR.
Also the 600ex rt is a game changer for weddings. 100% reliable radio trigger which nikon is probably delivering with the D820. They are always behind the curve with technology but ahead of the curve with image quality. That's like have a 1000 hp engine with skinny tires. The system needs to work as a whole.

In conclusion I still want the the D810. Can I borrow some money?

LA Wedding photographer (external link) Stunning Bride Photographers.

rapurimanka
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 29, 2014 03:06 |  #37

enginyr
I'm just an amateur photographer, i don't earn money by photo :)

If your dynamic range is 11 instead of 13, your client has no clue. You kick in the vibrance in Lightroom and your done.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but what color saturation has to do with DR? I thought DR is about ability of camera to preserve details in bright and dark parts of frame.

6D | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 24-105 4 | Lightroom 4
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/27393138@N08/ (external link)

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 29, 2014 03:35 |  #38

You blow out the sky with limited DR. Increased vibrance means stronger blues which fakes DR.

Your hobby will become professional, once you are reliable in every condition.

rampanthamster
135 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 29, 2014 03:44 |  #39

Nikons have way better dynamic range, fact. If i were a landscape / interior photographer i would have stuck with my nikon glass and got a d800e. But i'm a wedding photographer and when the d800 / canon 5d iii were released, i quickly realised that i canon was a better all round wedding camera and made the bold decision to ditch nikon and jump ship to canon. I don't regret it, but i do really really hope that the next 5d to be released has nikon esque DR...that'd be dream land for me :D

5D Mk III (x2) - 16-35 F/4L - 24-70 F/2.8 II L - 35 F/1.4L - Sigma 50 1.4 ART - 85 F/1.2L - 135 F/2.0L - Samyang 14mm F/2.8

elitejp
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 29, 2014 03:48 |  #40

enginyr wrote in post #17063151 (external link)
You must think of reliability. I think of Canon as tried and true. Nikon has some great qualities but unreliable as well as expensive.

Im sure both systems have had their fair share of problems

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 29, 2014 04:13 |  #41

Canon has its problems. Luckily they have worked through them, yielding very reliable gear. You wouldn't know because all your equipment is pretty flawless. If you went Nikon, you would pay much more with less reliability. Once you have something fail in the field, you'll know what reliability means. Btw, Why not go for the a7s. Nikon has had very serious autofocus issues which have been fixed, hopefully with the 810. Will know soon enough

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,965 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 29, 2014 06:30 |  #42

[QUOTE=enginyr;1706323​3]Canon has its problems. Luckily they have worked through them, yielding very reliable gear./QUOTE]

hmmm i don't think the 70d focus issues have been fixed yet,canon hasn't admitted theres a prob yet.

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 29, 2014 06:36 |  #43

I have a few question for you, So why are you here? if you like Nikon better then Canon then why ask us? If you look at all the major sports NFL NBA Canon is the official camera, President Obama photographer uses Canon 5d III.

Ahhh with such discerning logic like this in the user base.
Not a lot of point in Canon catching up with Nikon in the Sensor arena. Why should they bother, when they can just put a new badge on it; and make shed loads more profit!

You surely can't really mean that!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 29, 2014 07:11 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

Maybe there are people here that use both systems that might offer non-biased, non fanboy advice. Obviously not you.

OP, I wanted to switch to the D800e for years...but my investment in Canon mount lenses just made the switch economically not doable. I also thought Canon would be releasing a high Rez high dynamic range camera any day...wishful thinking.

When the A7R was released, I jumped onto it. Not only does it provide the same great sensor that is in the D800e, it also takes all my lenses...and to boot, it is very compact. I am extremely pleased with my choice, the images from the A7R are amazing. I still have my Canon cameras and use the Canon cameras for sports or events, but for landscape images the A7R images are just that much better.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 29, 2014 07:13 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

enginyr wrote in post #17063151 (external link)

If your getting paid and even one shot doesn't come out, your client will notice. If your camera fails or your focus goes nuts, your client will know. If your flash doesn't trigger and you miss the shot, your client know.

But....

imo

Nikon = Studio photographers
Canon = Everyone else

I've played this game many times and it always comes down to reliability. If you don't care about reliability and solely on image quality, you should always be carrying a tripod and only shoot HDR.
Also the 600ex rt is a game changer for weddings. 100% reliable radio trigger which nikon is probably delivering with the D820. They are always behind the curve with technology but ahead of the curve with image quality. That's like have a 1000 hp engine with skinny tires. The system needs to work as a whole.

In conclusion I still want the the D810. Can I borrow some money?

Vibrance has nothing to do with dynamic range. So much for your advice.

sponsored links

53,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Canon, when Nikon...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.