Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever dropped your camera?

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2014 12:29 |  #31

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17065859 (external link)
Not to a point that anything has broken yet. (luckily)

But yes I have. To the floor at home. Against the side of a cliff,. (1D4 and the 400mm) etc.
I'd say my 1D2 has taken the most hits. Still going strong.

that 400mm is the lens that has taken the most beatings. And it started right from the get go. About two days after receiving my 400mm f/5.6L it was knocked to the floor off the kitchen table by my daughters best Friend. She is dead to us now. (Just kidding!)
The black plastic to which the lens hood clips into at the front was damaged, but otherwise the lens is still fine. I manage to bang that lens against something near every time I use it.

Well it's a long ass lens, so that's not farfetched.

Let's see. Oh. Not really a camera, but, the wind has knocked down my 430EX II from its stand about 200 times. Not a scratch. But I've probably had to buy about 30 umbrellas...

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links
quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2014 12:30 |  #32

teekay wrote in post #17065926 (external link)
Once, while the camera was still in its bag. Didn't drop far but I had a UV filter on - for protection. The thin UV filter shattered and scratched the lens, otherwise the camera was OK. Lesson learned - no more UV filters for me!:rolleyes:

What about lens hoods? :P

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 30, 2014 12:48 |  #33

Yes, at a basketball game. It fell to the floor, and my 580EX hit first. It broke the flash beyond repair right above the hotshoe. No damage to camera or lens.

I went home from the game, got online to B&H and and bought a 600ex-rt. I do not want to be without a flash.

For anyone who doesn't have a good external flash, as soon as you get one, you will see what I mean.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

510storm
148 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 30, 2014 12:53 |  #34

I haven't, but I use a black rapid type strap and it scared me for the first few months. I check to make sure it is tightened every now and then, always seems to be on solid. Hope I never have to experience a drop!

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2014 14:24 |  #35

510storm wrote in post #17066238 (external link)
I haven't, but I use a black rapid type strap and it scared me for the first few months. I check to make sure it is tightened every now and then, always seems to be on solid. Hope I never have to experience a drop!

Dropped my camera with a black rapid strap once. It was a user error though. If anything, the part that you screw into the tripod threading on the camera saved the camera. I thought I had it attached to the strap. Nope.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 30, 2014 14:35 as a reply to  @ quadwing's post |  #36

Fell out of my bag as I was pulling it out of the car...my fault, didnt have it zipped up..Snapped my 24-70 right off....$$

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,728 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 30, 2014 15:28 |  #37

kawi_200 wrote in post #17065144 (external link)
Unzipped backback getting out of the car, camera dropped on to concrete. Never dropped in water, but used in the rain and around waterfalls. It's got weather sealing, so I don't care.

I had to take a second glance to make sure I didn't write this post. :lol:

Dropped it the same way, no issues, also fell off the kitchen table, camera was fine but cheap tamarin lens smashed into many little bits, used in VERY heavy rain and it stopped working for a week , good drying out in a warm cupboard and all was well , this was all on a 30D which I sold but is still working fine I believe.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,245 posts
Gallery: 919 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 30, 2014 17:45 |  #38

This was the culprit connector that broke and allowed my 7D + 70-200mm F2.8 IS I to hit the asphalt as I explained earlier in this string.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3846/14603046580_c309ebe18d_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …15772304@N02/14​603046580/  (external link)
brokenconnector (external link) by mcneese72 (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 30, 2014 17:54 |  #39

quadwing wrote in post #17066186 (external link)
What about lens hoods? :P

I had a lens hood on as always, so the UV filter wasn't actually hit by anything - it just shattered.

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 30, 2014 18:13 |  #40

I haven't dropped mine yet but Murphy's law is lurking out there. My brother laid his camera, a Nikon D3, in the backseat of his car and then laid his jacket on top of the camera. Someone else reached in to get the jacket not knowing the camera was underneath and dragged the camera out the door and it fell on the concrete. It scratched up a corner of the camera and he sent it to Nikon to be checked out but fortunately all was good. Years ago, before digital, I was with him shooting on a very windy day. Our cameras were on tripods and as he reached down to get something out of his camera bag a strong gust of wind blew his camera/tripod over. He caught it just before it hit the ground. We both kept a closer watch on our equipment the rest of the day.

Rereading some previous posts helped me remember an incident. I had my 40D with a 100-400L in the front seat of my truck and a sudden stop caused it to roll into the floorboard. Nothing was hurt though.

Joe
5DIII

KevinSch
39 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 30, 2014 20:22 |  #41

I made the unforgivable mistake of "rushing" to catch a shot - grabbed my sling bag from the front seat and missed the fact that the flap was open. My 60D +15-85 hit the deck, and my 100mm Macro rolled out onto the pavement. 1 slight scratch - no damage to anything.
I still burn oxen in homage to whatever God saved my gear.

60D | 6D | Canon 24-70 F4L | 70-300L | Canon 50 f1.8 STM | Canon 100 Macro| Canon 35 F2-IS | 430 EXII Speedlight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/92534040@N08/ (external link)

davomate
114 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 31, 2014 00:38 as a reply to  @ KevinSch's post |  #42

I slipped getting off a chair from taking a group shot. 7D and 17-55mm hit the wooden floor. Camera fine (the 7D is quite tough), focus gear broken in the 17-55mm. I have also had protective filters break on long lenses while in their cases (rolling around in the car). Only have hoods on those now.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8L IS II / 100-400L / 100L Macro / Σ 30 f1.4 A / Σ 85 f1.4

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 31, 2014 01:51 |  #43

I beat them some time against wall, tables, whatever, but never broke something or scratch ...

All bad things have a tendency to happen underwater ...

5-6 years ago 2 times in a row, it's a trip for few days (living on board)
first day i scratch the dome port, impossible to take any good pictures during the dive because the camera focus systemically on the scratch. (a dome port coat $1500, just to let you know ;) )

The tomorrow it's a dive at 80m, i use my back up housing, but this one is rated to 40m (the primary one is rated for 10bars/90m but can't use it Because of the dome scratch), usually we can go deeper even with less rated deep housing, the only thing which can happen when we go deeper, we cannot use the button because they are too hard to push with the pressure, but around 70m and still descending i heard a BAM, i stop immediately look at the camera/housing it's full of water, there was 2 screws screwed inside the housing to hold the camera plate and it's between these 2 screws that the imploded crack happen...

1 year later, around 15/20meters still descending (we just start the dive) i want to take a picture of the team descending, i can't , it's full of water, this time i suppose some dust or hair on the O ring door, i didn't really get it.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,182 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 31, 2014 02:25 |  #44

watt100 wrote in post #17066146 (external link)
that looks bad
I've dropped a lens, no cameras (yet)

actually was very good - no serious damage to the lens, and the photo's without a UV filter I think are a fair bit better than before... ;)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 31, 2014 05:18 |  #45

Son dropped the camera bag on the ground, slipped out of his hands. Thank heavens I had a filter on the 24-70. It really did a number on the filter, could not take it off. Sent it to Canon Service and they took care of everything. The lens had a terrible rattling inside. It didn't cost me all that much to repair. And anyone who says filters are stupid, well, I think it's okay to be stupid sometimes. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

21,286 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever dropped your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.