Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Jul 2014 (Monday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bodie Lighthouse Milky Way

dlos
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 28, 2014 15:26 |  #1

I had this shot planned before I left for vacation. The first attempt to execute it wasn't completely successful because the lighthouse had been struck by lightning and was not operational. I didn't know this until I had already made the 40 mile trip down to it. Got some good milky way shots but with a dark light house.

Second trip back it was working and this was the result. While I'm overall pretty happy with picture, I'd like to print it but feel like it'll come out to noisy. Any printing tips would be appreciated!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

sponsored links
dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 30, 2014 06:47 |  #2

No feedback? Is it perfect then?

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 30, 2014 06:55 |  #3

I would prefer it without the Meteor/Satellite tracks ....but then that's only my opinion

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 30, 2014 16:05 |  #4

birderman, thank you for the feedback. I agree, I should have cloned out the satellite tracks intersecting the lighthouse and will do that soon. I also have some captures that do not have that in them.

I chose to work on this one because I like the meteor. I'd be interested to hear more about what makes it a detractor for you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm very new to night/astro shooting and am not aware of any "rules" or preferences so to speak, much to learn.

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 30, 2014 16:39 |  #5

The meteor definitely adds to it IMHO. Keep that.
The satellites don't, so get rid of them.
Very nice image all round.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

Notquitesure
127 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 30, 2014 16:52 |  #6

I like the meteor as well. I frequent Bodie Island Lighthouse and one thing I normally do to the lighthouse itself is desaturate the color, decrease clarity, and increase sharpness. That helps remove some of the red light from the exit sign and gets it a little closer to it's "true color." I would also decrease exposure on the light poles illuminated by a car driving down hwy 12. These are both personal preference and not everyone will agree, but that's my normal routine in lightroom for that location.

I can't help with printing. Largest I've printed is 8x12 so I look forward to hearing any responses you get. All in all, its a nice capture of the milky way. Look forward to more.

http://james-callison.com (external link)

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 01, 2014 08:46 |  #7

Love the perspective and I think the the meteor adds to the overall composition. What size print do you want?

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 01, 2014 12:26 |  #8

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to go back at it this weekend and try to incorporate some of the suggestions for sure.

Print size - nothing crazy big, maybe 16x20 and hopefully the noise I think I'm seeing will not be a factor coming from the full resolution file.

mr2step
442 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 06, 2014 08:37 |  #9

Looking at this now it does seem a tad "noisy". You shot with a full frame? Lightroom has powerful NR. What I might suggest is to go back to the original edit. Zero out any sharpening,clarity and all NR. zoom in to 100% and start with color NR. Bump it up until the ugly red/green/purple pixels begin to disappear. Then do the same with luminance NR being careful not to add too much as it will go blurry. Then add sharpening. You don't need much from my experience maybe 20 then possibly bump clarity to make stars pop being mindful that any sharpening/clarity you add will magnify noise. Optional if global adjustments don't work is to use the adjustment brush and brush in those same settings over the stars and MW separately. Perhaps you already did this? Not sure if this will help or not but maybe it gave you an idea or two. Also, I love the meteor but agree the satellite is distracting. Well done! Where was this shot at?

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
www.Brettmissick.com (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phy (external link)

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 10, 2014 06:25 as a reply to  @ mr2step's post |  #10

I like it with the meteor.

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2014 04:07 as a reply to  @ spotz04's post |  #11

Nice work, I also like the meteor, did you end up printing this or re-take it?[

mr2step wrote in post #17079701 (external link)
Looking at this now it does seem a tad "noisy". You shot with a full frame? Lightroom has powerful NR. What I might suggest is to go back to the original edit. Zero out any sharpening,clarity and all NR. zoom in to 100% and start with color NR. Bump it up until the ugly red/green/purple pixels begin to disappear. Then do the same with luminance NR being careful not to add too much as it will go blurry. Then add sharpening. You don't need much from my experience maybe 20 then possibly bump clarity to make stars pop being mindful that any sharpening/clarity you add will magnify noise. Optional if global adjustments don't work is to use the adjustment brush and brush in those same settings over the stars and MW separately. Perhaps you already did this? Not sure if this will help or not but maybe it gave you an idea or two. Also, I love the meteor but agree the satellite is distracting. Well done! Where was this shot at?

Thx for posting noise reduction workflow.
Btw title of the post is "Bodie Lighthouse", quite famous http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Bodie_Island_Li​ghthouse (external link)

The current Bodie Island Lighthouse is the third that has stood in this vicinity of Bodie Island on the Outer Banks in North Carolina and was built in 1872

We were there for family vacation July-2012 and toured it, I think it they had scaffolding all around it then for the restoration project.

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Bodie_Island_Lighthouse_2008.JPG/220px-Bodie_Island_Lighthouse_2008.JPG

I remember this place well because earlier in the morning I took this shot while swimming in the ocean with the kids, that's a dolphin and a school of fish, literally I was in the ocean and the school of fish freaked me and swam around me and this dolphin was chasing and eating them (and many other dolphins), one of the neatest things I've ever seen:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1204800
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2014 09:17 |  #12

mr2step wrote in post #17079701 (external link)

Thanks for the suggestion on cleaning up the noise. I haven't done much in the way of noise reduction as I'm probably over concerned with making it worse. I'll go back and try some of your tips!

Shot was taken in Nags Head, NC at the Bodie Island Light House National Park.

sponsored links

2,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bodie Lighthouse Milky Way
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.