Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Jul 2014 (Monday) 08:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ugh - embarrassing Lightroom question

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 28, 2014 08:08 |  #1

OK, I have a problem with Lightroom that is entirely due to my own incompetence. I have a few images that are overexposed in spots, but I sometimes reach the end of the Highlight slide bar before I reach the adjustment that I need. This happens mostly in portraits where I've thrown a bit too much light onto a person's face. I know the detail is there (no blinkies), but it doesn't appear that the slide bars are set to adjust over the entire range. I could probably do what I need in Photoshop but I really suck at Photoshop so I'd rather stay within Lightroom if possible. I've tried selecting the region in question using the adjustment brush and playing with the exposure slider there, but I seem to get more artifacts using that approach than I do with the Highlight slider.

So, how does one deal with exposure adjustments that go beyond the slider range?

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

sponsored links
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 28, 2014 08:56 |  #2

It might help if you can post an example. The exposure slider is probably the way to go, but you may need to work on making your adjustment more subtle (zooming in, using more feathering, less adjustment, etc.).

If you can get over your photoshop fear, the patch healing tool can be great for this sort of local touch up problem, but again...subtle is the way to go.

Often when you have shiny spots on faces it's due to lighting/makeup, and those are going to be difficult to completely get rid of, but you should be able to mitigate them a bit.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

tomj
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 28, 2014 08:57 |  #3

I'm not an expert, but what I'd suggest is decreasing the exposure slider as far as you can and see if the detail appears. It could be, despite no blinkies, that it really is blown out.

Flickr (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 28, 2014 09:33 |  #4

Start by reading this:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com …_age_of_lightro​om_4.shtml (external link)

It sounds like your highlights are really well and truly blown if Highlights -100 and Whites -100 don't produce any detail, but if you really want to know definitively, if you can make the Raw file available I can examine it in Raw Digger. Or you can download Raw Digger yourself.

Elie / אלי

Snafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 28, 2014 10:57 |  #5

Thanks, all! I'm at work right now (shhh!), but will post a couple of examples when I get home this evening.

And yeah, Photoshop is my Everest. It's so unintiutive for this left-brained scientist. I tried Classroom In A Book, and got frustratd by the "Do this, then do this" approach with barely any explanation of the mechanics behind the steps. Maybe "Multiply Blend" is self-explanatory to some, but I was baffled until I read the technical description in Adobe Help (multiplies the base color value by the blend color value. Neat. I can understand that!)

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 28, 2014 11:22 |  #6

Remember that as well as the global Whites/Highlights controls in LR you also have control of Highlights as well as Exposure in the local brush tool. Another thing to consider is that Exposure in LR is a poor name, it would be better referred to as Midtones. Although as you will notice they all have a bit of effect on each other, so if you adjust one control you may have to play with some of the others to get just the effect that you are after.

As Elie says though if you have got to the point where you have applied -100 to both Highlights and Whites, then you have in all probability gone too far with your in camera exposure.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

emalvick
44 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 29, 2014 17:41 |  #7

Snafoo wrote in post #17061461 (external link)
Thanks, all! I'm at work right now (shhh!), but will post a couple of examples when I get home this evening.

And yeah, Photoshop is my Everest. It's so unintiutive for this left-brained scientist. I tried Classroom In A Book, and got frustratd by the "Do this, then do this" approach with barely any explanation of the mechanics behind the steps. Maybe "Multiply Blend" is self-explanatory to some, but I was baffled until I read the technical description in Adobe Help (multiplies the base color value by the blend color value. Neat. I can understand that!)

Well, there are a lot of good books out there for Photoshop. You just have to find the right one (which often means having a few wrong ones). You might check out the book(s) by Martin Evening. He focuses more on the why than the how to. Some don't like it, but I'm similar to you. I don't learn or remember without knowing why. Google and YouTube can be quite helpful, too, although the why isn't always there.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 30, 2014 19:38 |  #8

You can always use the adjustment brush too to eliminate small highlights.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,481 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ugh - embarrassing Lightroom question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.