Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Jul 2014 (Monday) 02:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first night sky shot - Milky Way

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2014 02:08 |  #1

This is the first time I have pointed my camera up at the sky - happened to be camping in Central Oregon and couldn't let go of the opportunity.

This is 4 30-second shots stacked in DSS with a 6D and a Rokinon 14/2.8, 3200 ISO. No post-processing other than exposure/contrast adjustment in LR and some clarity thrown in. I really need to read up the tutorials on how to enhance these shots in PS using layer masks. My Rok isn't the greatest either, I think.. quite a bit of distortion at the edges.

Any feedback and advice would be welcome!

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3853/14762602994_e3539c2c21_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ouwc​xQ  (external link) MW1-2 (external link) by Scrumhalf (external link), on Flickr

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
Proper_propaganda
78 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 29, 2014 16:10 |  #2

Looks like a good first attempt but you really need to fix the white balance. Try between 32-3700

Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
11,550 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 29, 2014 16:19 |  #3

Adjust white balance and your good.

Peter
Canon 6D|60D|40D
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8|L100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 30, 2014 00:58 |  #4

Thanks, guys! I'll do some editing tonight.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2014 03:18 |  #5

I took this on the 2nd night of our camping trip. Maybe I learned something over the 24 hours lol, but I like how this one came out. Comments and advice welcome as always!

This was taken with the 6D and the Rokinon 14/2.8.. single 87 second shot on an iOPTRON Skytracker.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3837/14769466766_1ee73d8a73_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ov8n​UJ  (external link) MIlky Way (external link) by Scrumhalf (external link), on Flickr

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,894 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 31, 2014 21:43 |  #6

i like that second one...looks like the trees aren't to blurred from the tracking either...i just ordered one of the ioptrons myself for a backpacking trip next week...pretty excited to use it

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 01, 2014 01:23 |  #7

Thanks Andre! You'll love it. The best thing I like is the weight. Easily backpackable!

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

Davenn
972 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 01, 2014 05:15 |  #8

second one is great :)

get you first one's colour corrected ( WB) so it looks like the second one and you are in business

That iOPTRON Skytracker looks interesting, I was unaware of them till your post
AU$499 + another AU$69 for the ballhead
it mite be easier to go that way than to shag around with the cost of an equatorial wedge for my
Celestron mount etc
I definitely like the idea of the portability of the iOPTRON Skytracker :)

cheers
Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links

2,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first night sky shot - Milky Way
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.