Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 05:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

600d or 70d

MicheleCNZ
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 31, 2014 05:18 |  #1

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and hope I'm in the correct place.

We want to buy our daughter a new camera for her 21st birthday and are tossing up between the 600d and 70d. She is just learning photography and has limited experience. We want to get her something she can have fun with but also something that will be appropriate as she gains more knowledge.

I'm really hoping someone can help as I have NO idea!

Thank you so much,
Michele.
New Zealand.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,461 posts
Gallery: 1788 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 31, 2014 05:33 |  #2

Heya,

Personally I would get her an inexpensive camera (not a $1000 camera) with a bag of lenses and a flash instead of just putting all your money into a camera. As she grows as a photographer, she may find what she needs in a camera different from what you get her. Lenses change so much, for so little, compared to a camera. And flash is a no brainer. I would keep it budget friendly to ensure you don't drop a mint for a fad that ends up on a shelf. Even the lowest SLR that is digital is still a great camera. My old $180 XSi still bangs out photos that are print level and you'd never know the difference.

So here's some suggestions for a starter kit for someone wanting to learn photography and grow into it with things that will move to other cameras in the future if needed, and provide both worlds of prime and zoom with common focal lengths for typical every day stuff.

Canon T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i or Canon SL1, with Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM pancake, Tamron 17-35mm, & Yongnuo 565EX II. And a decent little tripod to start out, and a bag, extra batteries and SD cards.

I find most people starting with photography do this, in this order:

1. More reach. More!
2. All primes. I'm a prime junkie now!
3. Ultrawide! Ultrawide!
4. Full frame.
5. Repeat above. End broke.

;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 31, 2014 06:19 |  #3

I own the 600d for about two years now.
I got it with the kit lens (18-135) also as a birthday gift.
for amateurs, this camera body is very good, and like malveaux said, I think you should spend the big chunks on lenses and a flash.
these things last for year, where cameras get outdated in a matter of years.
I bought a very good lens and a good flash, and they both work very good with the 600d.
the 70d is a very good camera, but the difference between the two is not that big at all (in terms of image quality).
the 70d has a lot of features that are nice to have, but not a must.
If your daughter loves shooting videos, get her the 70d, because of its video-capabillities.

so your options are:
1. getting the 600d with spare cash to spand on a lens/flash.
2. getting the 70d (which is a better camera) but without all the extras.

I'd say get her the 600d, because if she will keep photography as a hobby for years she would be have to change a camera in the long run.

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 31, 2014 06:36 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

MalVeauX wrote in post #17067679 (external link)

1. More reach. More!
3. Ultrawide! Ultrawide!
4. Full frame.

I completely disagree! I went from 4, back to 3, then quickly back to 2. I am kind of stuck there, now. :)

Step 5 really isn't a step. It is an over-arching theme of the entire process! I am half convinced that the cheapest way to get into digital photography is to start with a 1Dx and a bag of L-primes!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

MalVeauX
13,461 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 31, 2014 06:50 |  #5

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17067747 (external link)
I completely disagree! I went from 4, back to 3, then quickly back to 2. I am kind of stuck there, now. :)

Step 5 really isn't a step. It is an over-arching theme of the entire process! I am half convinced that the cheapest way to get into digital photography is to start with a 1Dx and a bag of L-primes!

Heya,

I find it to be a common route for a lot of people.

And while for some, yes, getting a 1DX with some of the best lenses possible is probably the best cheapest way for someone with a very high end budget to get the cheapest entry to summit level gear, it's not for everyone.

The more you really get into photography, the more you learn what tools you need for your photography. I'm all over the place, but at the end of the day, I'm happy with an old full frame and a $30 Helios 44-2 prime lens. Sure, I'd like a 6D, but at this point, it won't offer me enough to warrant it's cost at this time. I'm happy really with any old camera, APS-C or full frame, and a 35mm & 85mm prime for almost everything I do. My specialty stuff is my 600mm which I use for wildlife exclusively on APS-C. Would I like better everything? Of course. But there's a price threshold that I'm not willing to break into. And that's based on knowing I basically don't need it nor will truly benefit from it for what I do. But I'm not someone who makes a living with this, and I, like many others, have other hobbies and things that I'm an enthusiast about. I know some will subscribe to better gear being critical, and some will state that being a better photographer is key and lower end gear is more than fine. I'm a little in the middle. But I'm definitely in the camp of "know the tool you need" rather than just getting something for the sake of getting it thinking it will "do better."

I'm weird though. I'm more into manual glass these days.

Very best,

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 31, 2014 07:23 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

That post was (mostly) in jest.

Honestly, I have no use for a 1Dx, or even 5DIII, type camera. My 6D is quite sufficient, for me.

MalVeauX
13,461 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 31, 2014 07:32 |  #7

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17067805 (external link)
That post was (mostly) in jest.

Honestly, I have no use for a 1Dx, or even 5DIII, type camera. My 6D is quite sufficient, for me.

Heya,

There's truth to it though. For some, just bypassing the G.A.S. game and getting an end game summit level piece of equipment is good for some people as they will end up buying 3 or 4 cameras before just going straight to where they initially wanted to but hesitated. Same with glass. They throw a lot of money into it, and it's just cheaper to bite it and get the best you can afford sometimes.

Kind of like how high end audio works. Except it's a lot easier to sell cameras & lenses.

Very best,

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 31, 2014 07:41 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Some truth, yes. I did spend a lot of money on a bunch of stuff, only to upgrade later, then realized that (please forgive me) Ken Rockwell is right: "L - expensive as L." I only have two L-lenses left: 17-40 and 100-400. My 6D and 35 IS get me right where the action is, as far as my photography is concerned. Really, everything else I do could be done with an SX50. I still want a 24L II, though.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 31, 2014 07:46 |  #9

There's a vast difference between the 600D & 70D, not only in features, but also in price. Image quality is roughly on par - the 70D will be a little better at higher ISO but that's about it as far as the sensors themselves. Features are what will separate the two.

It would help to know a budget. If you've got plenty to spend, that will likely change the suggestions you receive. If your budget is smaller, it would be good to know as well.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,929 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 31, 2014 07:58 as a reply to  @ hokiealumnus's post |  #10

70D might be too large and heavy for your daughter. I would buy her a 600D, a medium zoom, and a tripod. As she learns more and become serious about photography, she can decide for herself what she wants to upgrade to.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 31, 2014 08:54 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17067842 (external link)
There's a vast difference between the 600D & 70D, not only in features, but also in price. Image quality is roughly on par - the 70D will be a little better at higher ISO but that's about it as far as the sensors themselves. Features are what will separate the two.

It would help to know a budget. If you've got plenty to spend, that will likely change the suggestions you receive. If your budget is smaller, it would be good to know as well.

I don't agree with much of this. The only real difference between the T3i and 70D is the AF-systems. I prefer 70D-style controls, but that has no effect on IQ. There is barely a difference is high-ISO/noise between the 5 year old 7D and the new 70D, and most of that is programming, not hardware. At best, under ideal conditions, the delta is 1/2 a stop. Hardly worth the $700 price differential. IMHO, if you don't do lots of video, the 70D is not for you.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 31, 2014 09:07 |  #12

MalVeauX wrote in post #17067679 (external link)
Heya,

I find most people starting with photography do this, in this order:

1. More reach. More!
3. Ultrawide! Ultrawide!
4. Full frame.

;)

Very best,

I had very similar experiences myself

1 Got crop camera and kit lens.

2 Bought every used lens I could get my hands on.
- Wide, long, macro, zoom, primes, everything.

3 Got a FF camera, knowing my EF-S lenses wouldn't work.

4 Ended up with all primes at various FL's.

5. Update to L's until broke. :D

I have learned a lot about what I like to shoot and what lenses are best for me.

To the OP: I would recommend the SL1 camera and kit, with the 40mm stm prime for ultra lightweight.
This would be a smaller option than the 600D and a lower cost than the 70D kit as well.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 31, 2014 09:10 |  #13

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17067966 (external link)
I don't agree with much of this. The only real difference between the T3i and 70D is the AF-systems. I prefer 70D-style controls, but that has no effect on IQ. There is barely a difference is high-ISO/noise between the 5 year old 7D and the new 70D, and most of that is programming, not hardware. At best, under ideal conditions, the delta is 1/2 a stop. Hardly worth the $700 price differential. IMHO, if you don't do lots of video, the 70D is not for you.

I'm confused....I said the same thing you did, no? Slight image quality difference, lots of feature difference. How do you not agree with much of it?

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 31, 2014 09:19 |  #14

I chose to upgrade my 650D (T4i) to the 6D primarily because I was unhappy with the noise at iso 6400
I avoided using a high iso as much as possible but enjoyed low light and natural light photography.
I also liked the artistically thin DOF the FF camera proved. That is why I chose the camera I did.
Any Canon camera that has the same 18mp sensor as most of their crop cameras, will have the same qualities.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 31, 2014 10:03 |  #15

Photography is my only hobby that I systematically put away money to fund. I've been careful with my purchases so I don't really have any lenses I want to sell, though eventually, I'll probably sell my 60D and perhaps my 17-55 f/2.8.

The mistakes I've made were with tripods and outgrowing camera bags. ;)

I would think a 21 year old woman might like a swivel screen but I don't know the OP's daughter so that is just a guess. On the other hand, my wife loves her SL1 and doesn't seem to mind not having a swivel screen though the last couple point and shoots she used had them.

I got my wife her kit a year ago: SL1, 15-85 and the 55-250STM. She has been having a blast.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

3,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
600d or 70d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.