Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How can you tell the difference between a USA and import lens? Canon USA must know.

Jon_Doh
873 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 31, 2014 13:59 |  #16

USA warranty card will be in the box of all USA lenses regardless of where you purchased it. No card, then it's not the USA version.

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 31, 2014 14:52 |  #17

The more details you give. The better help you'll get- what site? How much did you pay?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 31, 2014 15:44 |  #18

If you want help, then you need to give information.....for instance if you name a certain retailer then I'm sure that there will be someone on here that has had dealings with them that might chime in. You are speaking in vague terms. For instance if you say that you paid $400 for a supposedly new 24-105mm then you get a reply that goes like this......ahhhh you can be darn sure it is not a USA lens or worse.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

Sparkaction
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 31, 2014 18:06 |  #19

m3incorp wrote in post #17068798 (external link)
If you want help, then you need to give information.....for instance if you name a certain retailer then I'm sure that there will be someone on here that has had dealings with them that might chime in. You are speaking in vague terms. For instance if you say that you paid $400 for a supposedly new 24-105mm then you get a reply that goes like this......ahhhh you can be darn sure it is not a USA lens or worse.

The name of the retailer is Abes of Marine. After talking to Visa about my situation I was told that they can help ensure I get some of my money back based on their posted return policy - $740 (amount paid) less a 15% restocking fee less shipping charges. In regards to my claims of misrepresentation, Visa said my situation is hard to prove and in their experience rarely successful. I guess I may have come to this realization based on my original post and just looking to minimize my losses, realizing that I made a mistake I just wanted to be sure at a minimum I got a USA kit lens and not the lower cost import lens.

I'm hoping that my lesson in e-commerce has come to an end and that I can just use my soon-to-be new lens to capture great photos

Cheers and thanks to all whom offered assistance.

Canon 5Dc | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105mm | 28-135mm | 600ex-rt flash.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2014 18:22 |  #20

stay away from them. the end.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 01, 2014 00:08 |  #21

Abes of maine... I researched them a few months ago because they were cheap. I nearly fell into the trap. They are a bait and swith etailer is what I gathered so good luck...

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 01, 2014 01:25 |  #22

GetItDigital is a pretty solid business. Just bought a 6D from them. They've been pretty good about it. 3 year warranty too. About $1400 for the camera.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,011 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 01, 2014 05:33 |  #23

It sounds like they sold you a separated lens from a camera kit, so it will have a us warranty, it just will come in a white box instead of the retail box.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Retired_97
224 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2014 05:44 |  #24

Jon_Doh wrote in post #17068545 (external link)
USA warranty card will be in the box of all USA lenses regardless of where you purchased it. No card, then it's not the USA version.

If this is correct, would one be able to register a lens w/o a warranty card on the Canon web site?

I bought a 24-105 f/4 L in a white box not long ago. It was advertised as being a "kit" lens separated from the camera, etc., etc.

I had no problem registering it w/Canon on their web site.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,011 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 01, 2014 07:51 |  #25

Retired_97 wrote in post #17069798 (external link)
If this is correct, would one be able to register a lens w/o a warranty card on the Canon web site?

I bought a 24-105 f/4 L in a white box not long ago. It was advertised as being a "kit" lens separated from the camera, etc., etc.

I had no problem registering it w/Canon on their web site.

You can register anything you want, the issue is when you need a repair. You will need to provide proof of purchase for the warranty. They then look at date and vendor. The warranty card is pretty useless (in my experience), so many people seem to put emphasis on that card.

If you get a white box lens, you should have also received the lens' warranty card. When there is a kit sold, that camera box has 2 warranty cards, one for the camera, one for the lens, and then the lens is in that white box.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DreDaze
18,170 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 01, 2014 09:21 |  #26

Abe's of Maine is no longer an authorized seller though, they used to be a couple years back. So I don't think you'd get the warranty regardless

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 01, 2014 13:16 |  #27

What's done is done. If it helps, I and many others have NEVER had to send in a camera or lens for warranty work. On the other hands there are those that are unfortunate and have had to use warranty service. A year warranty isn't very long :)

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

Retired_97
224 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2014 14:28 as a reply to  @ m3incorp's post |  #28

OK...it seems that my 24-105 f/4 L white box "kit" lens would be covered by the Canon warranty.
I did not receive a warranty card with my lens but did register it online w/Canon.
This is what I just received via email from Canon.

Dear James Xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I understand that you purchased an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens and inquiring about your warranty.

For warranty repairs, our factory will require that you provide a copy of the Proof-of-Purchase (sales receipt or invoice) you received from the U.S. dealer. A valid product Proof-of-Purchase must include all five (5) of the following details:

1. Retailer name
2. Retailer address or store #
3. Date purchased
4. Specific product purchased
5. Purchase price

Did you receive a Warranty Card with the lens? Please keep a copy of the warranty card and your bill of sale in a secure location. In the unlikely event that the unit requires service within the warranty period, we would ask that you include copies of these documents with the unit at the time of repair.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Rodney
Technical Support Representative

I can supply the required 5 items required so...I don't see a problem. ;)

DreDaze
18,170 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 01, 2014 14:47 |  #29

I think the main problem is going to be that Abe's isn't going to be on their list of authorized sellers...they do mention which US dealer in the email

Just realized I'm confusing you with the op

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 02, 2014 06:08 |  #30

Sparkaction wrote in post #17067408 (external link)
I know that physically if you had two of the same lenses in front of you it would be difficult (if not impossible) to determine which one is the import. Thus, if you go into a retailer and they carry both import and USA lenses how can you be sure that you got a USA lens? I assume that Canon USA has a database of serial numbers that would identify a lens as import vs. USA and therefore be able to dishonour any warranty claims. How can the average consumer able to determine if a lens is imported?

Thanks

They are both imports. Canon doesn't make lenses in the USA. I believe you are referring to grey imports?

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

4,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
How can you tell the difference between a USA and import lens? Canon USA must know.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.