Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 20 Jul 2014 (Sunday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Rise of the wedding drone

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 20, 2014 14:20 |  #1

Sorry if I put this in the wrong area.

Anyway, just seen this on yahoo. May or may not be of interest, but I was wondering if anyone has been seeing this. 30 minute shoot for 400 seems to be pretty expensive
https://www.yahoo.com …ng-drone-92145382919.html (external link)

sponsored links
ozzmodan
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 20, 2014 16:23 |  #2

It's interesting that the FAA has banned drones for commercial use. A more prudent action would be to make users pass a basic airspace exam & develop a separate set of rules for low altitude, low speed drones.

I work at an ATC tower in Canada & we have a few local companies that operate drones. They just give us a call when they plan to fly & give us their location, highest altitude & expected time to be finished. They have never been an issue for our operation.

Gear List

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 21, 2014 11:05 |  #3

There are many new tech companies that are producing DIY drone kits for public consumption. The drone is being marketed like cell phones and my personal fear is that we will eventually have nothing but drones flying overhead at every park and city in the next 10 years. It's already become a problem at CA state parks to the effect of having drones banned. No one wants to hear your drone while they are in the wilderness.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 21, 2014 11:22 |  #4

So, what occurs when the groom tries to run?

Optional add-ons: GroomRun Deterrent.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 21, 2014 11:41 |  #5

The image they show looks like crap, who would want that image anyway?

I can see the potential for this, and have been actively looking into it for my own companies use, but the cost just completely outweighs the demand right now (in my market segment)

I've looked in to the Panono ball (creates 3D image at apex of parabolic motion, but low res camera, no ISO suitable for receptions) , Drones, Copters etc. all are a new twist to photography but with the weight of a modern dSLR and lens are prohibitively expensive.

I'd have to buy a drone, outfit it to work with a modern dSLR, pay someone to fly it and take pictures, since I can't do it myself as I'm actively busy during a wedding day taking images myself. $400 for 30min is likely about right.

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 21, 2014 13:01 |  #6

For a decent quality video, $400 for 30 minutes sounds incredibly cheap to me. To fly a camera with decent quality, all the proper failsafes and control components, backups, flying experience required, possibility for accidents, etc, I wouldn't go near a flight video for less than $1000. That isn't using a GoPro on a Phantom, though.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 21, 2014 14:57 |  #7

jmikolich wrote in post #17045994 (external link)
The image they show looks like crap, who would want that image anyway?

If you click the link for the video, the description explains it. Yahoo lifted the video from an amateur who was doing his friend a favor (for free). His primary purpose was to deliver the rings to the best man, not to photograph. Yahoo fail.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

thebirdandthebear
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 01, 2014 01:21 |  #8

I always wonder if the quality of the GoPro would fit into a HD wedding film. Any thoughts on if there is a noticeable difference? Would just other photographers notice or do you think clients would notice, too?

:)
Austin wedding photographer & videographer - www.thebirdthebear.com (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 01, 2014 13:22 |  #9

thebirdandthebear wrote in post #17069598 (external link)
I always wonder if the quality of the GoPro would fit into a HD wedding film. Any thoughts on if there is a noticeable difference? Would just other photographers notice or do you think clients would notice, too?

I think the biggest challenge with using a GoPro would be mitigating camera shake, as I'm pretty sure none of their cameras have image stabilization. The large depth of field created by the GoPro's small sensor and fixed focus lens would also look a bit out of place next to video created with a DSLR or professional HD camcorder.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 01, 2014 13:58 |  #10

jt354 wrote in post #17070546 (external link)
I think the biggest challenge with using a GoPro would be mitigating camera shake, as I'm pretty sure none of their cameras have image stabilization. The large depth of field created by the GoPro's small sensor and fixed focus lens would also look a bit out of place next to video created with a DSLR or professional HD camcorder.

Not so fast...
http://youtu.be/ptVJGr​Opyok (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 01, 2014 13:59 |  #11

Instead of watching the bride and groom, all of the guests will be looking into the sky, staring at the drone.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 01, 2014 14:15 |  #12

drvnbysound wrote in post #17070610 (external link)
Instead of watching the bride and groom, all of the guests will be looking into the sky, staring at the drone.

+1. I do not like it. Plus the wedding video posted on the OP's original article looked worse than using Uncle Randle as your wedding photographer because he just got a nice new Rebel.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2014 14:49 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

No offence, but does this drone cam actually capture the special moment as in the ring exchange in crystal clear clarity?

sponsored links

2,854 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Rise of the wedding drone
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.