Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever dropped your camera?

davomate
114 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 31, 2014 19:02 |  #46

SuzyView wrote in post #17067668 (external link)
It really did a number on the filter, could not take it off.

The filters seem to shatter quite easily, especially a sideways impact to the filter ring itself (I have broken 3 this way). The glass shards can scratch the front element, which is less likely to be damaged by such an impact, being embedded further in the lens, and being made of thicker/tougher glass.

Filters give some protection from objects coming (not so hard that it breaks) at the front element, such as airborne abrasives. They also complete the weather sealing on some lenses. Don't however assume that the filter broke instead of damaging the front element.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8L IS II / 100-400L / 100L Macro / Σ 30 f1.4 A / Σ 85 f1.4

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 31, 2014 19:14 |  #47

The filter gave way, which saved the front element. I sent the whole thing to Canon, and they did an amazing job taking the filter off and saving the lens. It works great. My son only dropped it about 12 inches. He doesn't carry my equipment anymore. :P

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 31, 2014 19:40 |  #48

SuzyView wrote in post #17067668 (external link)
Son dropped the camera bag on the ground, slipped out of his hands. Thank heavens I had a filter on the 24-70. It really did a number on the filter, could not take it off. Sent it to Canon Service and they took care of everything. The lens had a terrible rattling inside. It didn't cost me all that much to repair. And anyone who says filters are stupid, well, I think it's okay to be stupid sometimes. :)

SuzyView wrote in post #17069170 (external link)
The filter gave way, which saved the front element. I sent the whole thing to Canon, and they did an amazing job taking the filter off and saving the lens. It works great. My son only dropped it about 12 inches. He doesn't carry my equipment anymore. :P

In my opinion you got lucky that the filter didn't break and scratch the front element.

davomate explain well the purpose of a filter which can be very effective in sands storm for example, but over all the hood will do a better job than the filter to protect the front element against shock and in the bag it's the cap who protect the front element

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 31, 2014 19:58 |  #49

Heya,

My EOS-M with 22mm F2 lens attached (with lens cap on) fell out of my truck seat 3 times this evening and hit the floor board and bounced around as I sped around trying to get to locations in a limited time frame during the sunset hours.

Looks well rough and used. But works flawless.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 01, 2014 05:37 |  #50

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17069213 (external link)
In my opinion you got lucky that the filter didn't break and scratch the front element.

davomate explain well the purpose of a filter which can be very effective in sands storm for example, but over all the hood will do a better job than the filter to protect the front element against shock and in the bag it's the cap who protect the front element

I agree the hood is better, but in the bag, the hood was reversed and offered little help. Hood is always on my lenses when being used.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 01, 2014 08:22 |  #51

Dropped...no. Knocked over...yes...into a lake with my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L lens attached.

I had just bought a used Canon 1D Mark III (my first DSLR) the day before, and I was photographing some ducks etc at a local lake. The camera/lens was on a tripod and I went to turn and accidentally knocked the whole rig into the lake...lens first.

I quickly took it out, shook off the water, cleaned off the muck to see how much damage. The camera was wet but still worked like a charm. (Gotta love those 1D bodies). The lens however was toast. Water and dirt/sand inside...you could hear it grinding against the gears. Fogged up the lens from the inside. So I rushed home, put the lens in a bag of rice to see if it would absorb the water but it was too late. So now I have a very unique paper weight.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 01, 2014 08:54 |  #52

Ouch! Can't you send it to Canon to clean & service? That's got to be cheaper than paying for a new L lens.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 01, 2014 09:26 |  #53

Knock on wood: not yet. I'm pretty anal about my gear and so far have avoided dropping my camera or lenses but I certainly think about it when I'm handling things. I use a Rugger Gear cart when I'm out and about and it has a platform I use to stage lenses when making a change. That seems to prevent accidents though I do know, accidents can happen. I'm careful around my tripod because I've almost tripped over it several times but so far, I haven't knocked it over with my camera on it.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 01, 2014 16:17 |  #54

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17070026 (external link)
Ouch! Can't you send it to Canon to clean & service? That's got to be cheaper than paying for a new L lens.

I suppose I could but it's probably a bit too late to do that now. (This happened about a year ago and right now I'm actually planning on buying another camera (1D4 or 1Dx and 4 or 5 lenses including the new series II 70-200 f/2.8L I.S.) So I may just chalk this up as a live and learn experience.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 01, 2014 16:36 |  #55

Pshh, if you want to send that to me, I'll send it in and see how much it costs. It's sure to be less than the lens itself. :p

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 01, 2014 18:39 |  #56

Use it for Canon's customer buy back service to get something back from it. Maybe $200? I'm assuming it was the f/2.8 non IS model? I've heard of a guy with a 1D and f/2.8 IS that fell into an indoor pond and the camera/lens combo worked just fine.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 01, 2014 19:36 |  #57

Note to self: make a list of every klutz in this thread and be sure never to buy used gear from them. ;) :lol:

Okay, okay, as the old timers may remember, I had a then brand new 1DsII, yes, an $8,000 camera body with the brick (24-70) attached, wandering the streets of Manhattan (NYC) on a Sunday morning near Adorama. I see two unsavory looking characters round the corner about 100 feet from me and begin heading toward me. The street was otherwise deserted. I immediately get paranoid that they may want to rob me so I swing my sling bag around and begin to put the camera away, thinking I still had the neck strap on. But I didn't. As I was trying to quickly stuff it in the bag and keep an eye on them, I let it go for a brief second and realized it was falling out of the bag to the concrete sidewalk below.

Cracked the top of the camera body near the hotshoe.

A mere $600 repair bill later and the camera was good as new.

About two years back I was out hiking with my 1DIV attached to a Cotton Carrier waist belt. The puck worked its way loose and the camera just fell. Luckily and thankfully, it fell about two feet into a bed of leaves and suffered absolutely no damage. My heart skipped a beat for sure though.

sapelgas431
258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 01, 2014 19:37 |  #58

Picked my bag from a chair, turns out it was unzipped, throwing my kit lens and flash in the air. Luckily the camera stayed inside the bag, and everything kept working properly :)

6D | 1D3 | 1100D | 17-40 f/4L | 28-75 f/2.8 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4L
Flickr (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 01, 2014 19:38 |  #59

oh, and if it counts, I recently crashed my quadcopter (drone) and broke the camera and gimbal. That would've cost only $700 to repair.

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 01, 2014 19:43 |  #60

SuzyView wrote in post #17069170 (external link)

Canon released a film on how to remove a stuck filter, if that was all that's wrong with it. you use a hacksaw to cut a few mm into the front of the filter, then -without taking the saw out of the notch- use the saw as a screwdriver and unscrew the filter. this is assuming there is little-to-no thread damage.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

sponsored links

21,316 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever dropped your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.