Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Most Recent Media Harassment

sirquack
Goldmember
2,572 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 31, 2014 15:36 |  #16

I had a similar conversation with a police officer while I took pictures of a recently burned building that was being renovated. I was singled out by the office because I had my camera pointed in the general direction of the burned out buidling. She told me I could not take pictures of the building because it was being investigated how the fire occured. All the while people were standing next to me taking cell phone photos of the same building.
After I asked that she get a supervisor, she radiod someone and a few minutes later told me I was ok to shoot. Now I will say the ATF was investigating the site, but was not clearly visible in the street I was shooting from. If they had been, I would have at my own discretion not taken photos of the site as I don't want any federal agents photos to be taken and shown publicaly since it might endanger them. But some cops assume things and I would absolutely require any officer, including Lt Dorn to provide me with a specific statute before I would be willing to give up any of my footage or media.
And I am just a hobbyist. Now if the prison were fully staffed and have people incarcerated, I can maybe understand they would not want people filming due to the possiblity of that footage being used for purposes that might pose a threat to the officers or the inmates. But that is clearly not what happened here.
Here's to hoping Lt Dorn ends up scrubbing a few toilets with a toothbrush for giving other corrections officers a bad name in the public eye.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 31, 2014 15:40 |  #17

Andrushka wrote in post #17068663 (external link)
If news crews had to get permits to shoot - that would definitely be an easy way to control the flow of information :-)

The Associated Press says that the NewsChannel 13 employees were on the grounds of a state prison. My guess is that this entire episode has to do with attempts to keep private the identities of people associated with that prison.

If anyone is restricting the flow of information, it's NewsChannel 13 and the AP, which are not telling the full story.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,253 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 31, 2014 15:43 |  #18

moose10101 wrote in post #17068777 (external link)
The article states that the news crew was on prison grounds. Are you claiming the article is incorrect?

As for you being "again amazed", I find that a significant majority of POTN members consistently come down on the side of the photographer. In this case, I'm not sure if they had the right to be doing what they were doing. However, the attempt to seize the video was very likely unlawful.

uh, if you watched the video, they complied to leave the prison grounds and go to grants cottage...... corrections officers blocked the road and prevented them from doing that.

that's the bigger issue right there. Trying to bully the newscasters out of free will, and intimidation. There's not if's and's or but's about this incident, it's blatant harassment and abuse of power. Open and shut.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 31, 2014 15:54 |  #19

sirquack wrote in post #17068780 (external link)
Now if the prison were fully staffed and have people incarcerated, I can maybe understand they would not want people filming due to the possiblity of that footage being used for purposes that might pose a threat to the officers or the inmates. But that is clearly not what happened here.

I suspect that this is exactly what did happen. At least some personnel remained at the state prison that the article says is "soon-to-be-closed" (that is, it was still open):

>>>"A department spokesman said Friday the prison is being staffed until Saturday."

Evidently, employees of the state department of corrections were onsite while the film crew was filming on prison grounds.

There's probably a policy against film crews setting up on prison grounds, and the officer was attempting to enforce that policy till the prison was closed.

The blocking of the road and the attitudes of the people in this incident are another issue. :lol:

Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Mark_ms
124 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 01, 2014 18:45 as a reply to  @ Tedder's post |  #20

Here is the print version from The Post Star, the closet local newspaper http://poststar.com …e4-bc1b-0019bb2963f4.html (external link)

Gear: yeah I have some...

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 02, 2014 01:45 |  #21

^ that's a good report. One day, one of these encounters will turn violent and that will be unfortunate.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,572 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 02, 2014 12:07 |  #22

The worst part about this to me is the escalation that the Lt started. He could have just as easily approached in a calm and cool manner and asked the crew to move along since the prison was in the background. The crew was willing and offered to move to the public grounds and was promptly told to not to. So that is when things began to go downhill quickly.
There is really no reason to get all uppity when a simple, "please move down the road" would have likely resulted in the whole incident being a non starter. I know a lot of good LE folks, and even they think this LT is a complete turd.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 02, 2014 14:12 as a reply to  @ Mark_ms's post |  #23

"OUR VIEW: Apology is owed to WNYT-TV NewsChannel 13 crew."

Who's owed apologies for the media's bad reporting and distortions surrounding this incident?

>>>...We could understand Dorn’s initial defense of state security, when the TV crew was filming along the road just below the prison, except for one thing: Mount McGregor prison is empty. The state is closing it. All the prisoners are gone.

These statements include willful distortions. That the prisoners have been relocated does not, of course, equal the prison being "empty." And "is closing" means that the prison is not closed but is in the process of closing. The prison was officially scheduled to close on a given date, and this incident took place shortly before that date. There were still staff at the prison.

Given those facts, Dorn's "initial defense of state security" (whatever that is) would be valid according to the commentator's own position, and all the grandstanding would be shown to be just that.

>>>We wonder why Dorn and other prison officers are still present and, we assume, getting paid. Without prisoners present, what are they doing?

Of course, the prison did not officially close the instant the last prisoner left the grounds. The officer's job was most likely to perform his duties until the official closing date. And, we can assume, he does get paid while on the job.

Also, why does a media outlet "wonder" why prison officials are present on prison grounds in the days just before the prison's closing? Maybe the reporters should report more and "wonder" less.

>>>What the Department of Corrections describes as blatant disregard, we consider praiseworthy insistence on constitutional rights.

Assuming that the officer was attempting to enforce a policy of protecting the identities of prisoners, staff, and visitors from camera crews on prison grounds, that policy was probably put into place by people insisting upon their constitutional rights, and presumably that would be praiseworthy as well.

But where, in the reporting on this incident, does media describe the policy the officer was attempting to enforce, the intent of the policy, and the official job duties of the officer? I haven't seen it.

What happened after the initial confrontation and the attitudes of the people involved are separate issues.

sponsored links

2,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Most Recent Media Harassment
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.