Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you say to other photographers when they ask about your locations

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 02, 2014 15:00 |  #1

So I just posted some photos that I did for a couple. The pictures were down outside at a local park. This park does not get very busy which I love and not many photographers use it or are aware about it.

I just had a photographer ask me where the location is. Should I tell them where it is or should I not? What would you do?

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 02, 2014 15:04 |  #2

Why wouldn't you? Their photos are never going to be the same as yours.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 02, 2014 15:04 |  #3

mikekelley wrote in post #17072409 (external link)
Why wouldn't you? Their photos are never going to be the same as yours.

My concern is the area becoming too popular and getting more traffic.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 02, 2014 15:07 |  #4

But you mention other photographers, which implies a worry that other photographers may use it.
I don't think it's a big deal. Just be nice to people. It's not a top-secret DEFCON type of thing. Pay it forward...

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 02, 2014 15:11 |  #5

mikekelley wrote in post #17072419 (external link)
But you mention other photographers, which implies a worry that other photographers may use it.
I don't think it's a big deal. Just be nice to people. It's not a top-secret DEFCON type of thing. Pay it forward...

I just get concerned because a spot I used to go to all the time has recently become WAY too popular with photographers. To the point you have to stand and wait for them to be done so you can have a chance.

But I really appreciate your input. I am going to just tell them where it is. I just wanted others opinions first before I said anything! :)

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 02, 2014 18:43 |  #6

How did YOU find it?

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 02, 2014 19:21 |  #7

If they ask and they are an acquaintance I will probably tell them. Random photographers don't really ask as the only place they could is on my Facebook page however I delete photographers who are fans anyway.

I'm not really bothered if someone does find out where I have shot because if I've shot there a few times I'd be getting bored with it anyway and already be looking for new places myself. I like to keep things fresh.

Peter

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 03, 2014 15:49 |  #8

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17072746 (external link)
I like to keep things fresh.

Indeed, I get bored with the same location too. I know a few photographers that use the same location for nearly all their engagement sessions/high school seniors. Gets quite repetitive and shows in the images over a short time.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

wayne9999
132 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 03, 2014 18:04 |  #9

I just had a photographer ask me where the location is. Should I tell them where it is or should I not?

You should tell them, if you want more people/photographers to know about it.

What would you do?

I would not tell anyone.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2014 19:06 |  #10

There are a few good spots in town that aren't overrun with anyone with a camera. I go exploring and find awesome spots and it makes people excited to be able to go get their photos done in places that hardly anyone else goes. If you look at wedding photographers websites in my town you see all the same locations and nothing stands out so to have a handful of places that no one knows about or private properties that I've been allowed to shoot on sticks out a little bit more.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 03, 2014 22:47 |  #11

Proprietary information. If they can't figure it our why would you ruin your spots. Down here the charter boat fishermen do not allow GPS or camera phones so they can keep their fishing spots secret.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 04, 2014 10:51 |  #12

I doubt telling one person is going to result in a crowded situation. You could even relay your fear to him of it being overcrowded, in an attempt to keep it low key.
But I have never understood this fear that if some knows a spot, technique, etc. gloom and doom will happen.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

BobDawg
261 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 04, 2014 11:58 |  #13

If it's a common spot, I'll tell them. But there's a few spots that are my "Gems" and I just tell them that it was private property. Then I suggest a 'common' place that is similar to it.

Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm, YN-560 IV Flash (2)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 04, 2014 12:04 |  #14

BobDawg wrote in post #17075549 (external link)
If it's a common spot, I'll tell them. But there's a few spots that are my "Gems" and I just tell them that it was private property. Then I suggest a 'common' place that is similar to it.

You answered it well. Sharing is caring...

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

cleverer
258 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 05, 2014 09:44 |  #15

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17072746 (external link)
If they ask and they are an acquaintance I will probably tell them. Random photographers don't really ask as the only place they could is on my Facebook page however I delete photographers who are fans anyway.

That is one of the weirdest statements I've ever read on this forum.

Facebook (external link)| Web (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Exclusively Canon

sponsored links

11,568 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you say to other photographers when they ask about your locations
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.