Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever dropped your camera?

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 01, 2014 20:15 |  #61

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #17071167 (external link)
Canon released a film on how to remove a stuck filter, if that was all that's wrong with it. you use a hacksaw to cut a few mm into the front of the filter, then -without taking the saw out of the notch- use the saw as a screwdriver and unscrew the filter. this is assuming there is little-to-no thread damage.

Obviously you've never met Suzy. A carpenter/engineer she's not. :lol:

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 02, 2014 23:18 |  #62

Dropped mine once taking the strap off to mount it to a tripod. Another time it wasn't technically a drop. I had it strapped but I fell and the camera hit the ground first. Neither time did any damage but a slight scuff.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2014 00:02 |  #63

Dropped a camera with mounted flash from a sofa onto the floor. Broke off the foot of the flash. Not Canon brand and foot not available as spare part.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 03, 2014 01:08 |  #64

Interestingly, a couple years ago I was putting some gear up for sale. I did have a 50mm f/1.4 lens that had been dropped and that was dysfunctional, and I sold it for parts.

However, the surprise for me came when someone picked up my 85 f/1.2 L, which was not yet on the market. He looked at it and remarked that it had some damage around the mount, I checked it out and it was so, even though I couldn't remember banging the dang thing around!

I took it in to a good local shop and they fixed it for maybe $120, very reasonable, but still I don't know how that happened!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 03, 2014 02:45 |  #65

Dropped my 7d and 300mm attached... Forgot to zipper up my bag.. 24-105L went rolling on the ground thru a puddle too..

Not a scratch, just some dirt..

Did need a change of underwear though.

And had to make a very hefty donation to the swear-jar.

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,238 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2014 04:30 |  #66

Once. My heart stopped I think. Has camera over my shoulder on the usual Optech strap & the strap came undone. I felt it go but just couldn't grab at anything. It landed hood first I presume as that was smashed & cracked around the mounting end. I now have the ends threaded back through the little loops onto themsleves. I can only imagine over time it had worked its way out.

These bits.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 03, 2014 05:54 |  #67

Just recently - as I was getting into my car and my 5MD bag wasn't shut properly. With full hands, I could only watch in horror as my camera with lens came tumbling out. Luckily, it sort of hit my seat first, door frame and then smack dab on the pavement. The 24-105mm was a little scuffed near the lens, but nothing damaged.

Lesson learned.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

speedync
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2014 13:21 |  #68

Never. I don't use straps either. Although, technically one could say that I have, as my EOS M was in my backpack when I crashed my motorcycle and bounced down the road. Busted myself far worse than the camera. The 18-55 chunked a small section out of the plastic filter thread, where the lens cap spring lug pushed on it, & the body has a tiny little ding in the side that I'd have to point out to anyone else it's that small, but everything still works 100%

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 03, 2014 16:16 |  #69

MDJAK wrote in post #17071214 (external link)
Obviously you've never met Suzy. A carpenter/engineer she's not. :lol:

Actually, I am a math teacher, and I do the engineering things here, but
I'm not very strong, so I bought 2 different filter removal systems, watched several videos on how to do it, but no luck. A couple of POTN friends tried, as well. Usually, when I have something to do on my mind, it gets done, one way or another. But I stray. . . .

I am usually pretty careful with my gear, but the unzipped bag grab is always an issue. The POTN straps are bulky and don't usually fit in a bag to zip up, so I leave the straps out of the bag, zip to the end until the strap is the only thing hanging out. But that leaves the possibility of the zipper coming undone. I now take my teacher rolling thing with me on shoots if I am shooting alone. It's not glamorous, but it is useful and I don't drop bags or gear.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 03, 2014 20:48 |  #70

tonylong wrote in post #17073076 (external link)
I checked it out and it was so, even though I couldn't remember banging the dang thing around!

Been hitting the bourbon again, huh? :lol: ;-)a

davomate
114 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2014 21:38 |  #71

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #17071167 (external link)
Canon released a film on how to remove a stuck filter, if that was all that's wrong with it. you use a hacksaw to cut a few mm into the front of the filter, then -without taking the saw out of the notch- use the saw as a screwdriver and unscrew the filter. this is assuming there is little-to-no thread damage.

I have used successfully one of those square-flat-rubber-jar-lid-opener things (from Tupperware). The difficulty with a jammed filter is the ring is very thin to get a grip on, with which the above helps a lot. A fair amount of force is required as well.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8L IS II / 100-400L / 100L Macro / Σ 30 f1.4 A / Σ 85 f1.4

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 04, 2014 08:34 |  #72

Mjolnir wrote in post #17073136 (external link)
Dropped my 7d and 300mm attached... Forgot to zipper up my bag.. 24-105L went rolling on the ground thru a puddle too..

Not a scratch, just some dirt..

Did need a change of underwear though.

And had to make a very hefty donation to the swear-jar.

I did this with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It screwed up the OS and AF. When the OS would activate the picture in the viewfinder would jump to the right about 20%. The lens was just about 18 months old and I sent it to Sigma with an explanation that I had dropped it. I sent it on to get it fixed. I called 5 days later to find out how much it was gonna cost me and was told that they fixed it under warranty and it was already on the way back to me. Received it on my porch the next day working perfectly at no charge! :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

onurrus
637 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 04, 2014 08:59 |  #73

I dropped my 6d two days ago and the back screen is broken :(

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 04, 2014 23:08 |  #74

I've dropped a 5D and 70-200 onto a hardwood floor. No damage.

I've dropped a 5D and 50mm recently and no issue again.

I've dropped an 85mm 1.2 in a padded case and completely destroyed it beyond repair. That sucked.

I've smashed a few UV lens filters - those are easily replaceable!

My advice, shoot tethered to some kind of strap when possible. When you're distracted by hard work it's easy to forget you're holding expensive equipment.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 04, 2014 23:12 |  #75

kfreels wrote in post #17075140 (external link)
I did this with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It screwed up the OS and AF. When the OS would activate the picture in the viewfinder would jump to the right about 20%. The lens was just about 18 months old and I sent it to Sigma with an explanation that I had dropped it. I sent it on to get it fixed. I called 5 days later to find out how much it was gonna cost me and was told that they fixed it under warranty and it was already on the way back to me. Received it on my porch the next day working perfectly at no charge! :-)

That is a great story. It's nice when bad stories can sometime quickly turn out good. I'm surprised that the warranty covered accidents.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links

21,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever dropped your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.