Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 31 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 14:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shots of my girlfriend C&C Welcome

dasher108
Goldmember
1,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 01, 2014 16:07 |  #16

rivas8409 wrote in post #17070771 (external link)
I know. It's a personal opinion but when I see a photograph watermarked with "XYZ Photography" it tells me that a business, or professional, took those photos. Now while the definition of "professional" can be vague it still implies a level or proficiency with a camera and knowledge of photography and post processing. These clearly lack that.

A growing epidemic in the photography industry (espeically portraits and weddings and such) is anyone who goes into Best Buy and buys an entry-level DSLR and a $100 lens now goes out and says they're a professional photographer. This person has never learned how to work the camera correctly, doesn't know the fundamentals of exposure and compostion, and then charges $40 for an entire portrait session, slaps a huge "XYZ Photography" watermark on the photos (because that's what the internet says to do protect your images from being stolen), and gives every shot to the client on a CD. All the while, those photographers who DO know how to work their camera and have a working knowledge of photography may be struggling to compete because now photography has been devalued and potential clients expect photographers to work for peanuts, if anything at all. The anyone-can-take-a-picture mentality is running wild. It's devaluing photography in the minds of the consumer. It's about perception.

This is just my opinion.

=

Wah wah wah wah, wah wah wha wah wahwah. Wah wah wahwah wha wah wah wah. Wah wah wah wah, wah wah wha wah wahwah wah wah, wah. Wah wah wahwah wha wah wah wah. Wah wah wahwah wha wah wah wah.

The end.

OP
Great start, grab a few books and start reading and shooting! There is lots of great information and feedback (for the most part) to be found on this site, that will help you with your learning. Eh... If you like the watermark, then leave it (who cares).

This is just my opinion.

T3i |70D |70-200L| 400L | 100-400L | 24-105L | 50 1.8 | sig 10-20 | sig 150-500

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,694 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 01, 2014 19:24 |  #17

You showcased her natural beauty well.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 02, 2014 20:06 |  #18

WE and exposure/lighting are all over the place. Hope you dont do that for your clients.

beano
Goldmember
4,164 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 03, 2014 16:20 |  #19

dcnats wrote in post #17070802 (external link)
I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree but a couple of things worth keeping in mind are that a) people in the market for a $40 portrait photographer were never going to hire you or me in the first place. b) you seem to projecting a lot of your general frustration with the industry on the poor OP who is just looking for some help on how to take better pictures of his girlfriend.

Again, I respect your opinion and don't totally disagree with what you have to say, I just don't think this is the most constructive place to direct your rant.

Scott

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 03, 2014 16:29 |  #20

#2 is the best for me, because as others have said the eyes.

#7 repeat that attempt with a reflector or flash, I think that could be really nice.

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 03, 2014 16:35 |  #21

rivas8409 wrote in post #17070771 (external link)
I know. It's a personal opinion but when I see a photograph watermarked with "XYZ Photography" it tells me that a business, or professional, took those photos. Now while the definition of "professional" can be vague it still implies a level or proficiency with a camera and knowledge of photography and post processing. These clearly lack that.

A growing epidemic in the photography industry (espeically portraits and weddings and such) is anyone who goes into Best Buy and buys an entry-level DSLR and a $100 lens now goes out and says they're a professional photographer. This person has never learned how to work the camera correctly, doesn't know the fundamentals of exposure and compostion, and then charges $40 for an entire portrait session, slaps a huge "XYZ Photography" watermark on the photos (because that's what the internet says to do protect your images from being stolen), and gives every shot to the client on a CD. All the while, those photographers who DO know how to work their camera and have a working knowledge of photography may be struggling to compete because now photography has been devalued and potential clients expect photographers to work for peanuts, if anything at all. The anyone-can-take-a-picture mentality is running wild. It's devaluing photography in the minds of the consumer. It's about perception.

This is just my opinion.

I watermark mine, I don't include the word photography but I am pretty happy with a few of my pics. I kind of see what you're saying but.........

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2014 21:39 |  #22

Someone who hires a $40 photographer is going to get just that. If that is all they want and expect, then there is a place for that. When a client pays the big money for a seasoned professional they expect truly professional looking results..the kind of portraits a beginner isn't going to produce. I know a few professional photogs and none of them are suffering from being undercut by amateurs because they always produce the goods for their clients.

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 04, 2014 19:33 |  #23

I think buying a good editing software like Lightroom 5, watch the videos on Youtube on how to edit and go for it! You'll learn a lot and make your pictures amazing. We all have to start somewhere. Now that you have a decent camera set up, be prepared to learn a lot in the editing process. Most of the work we pros do is after the shoot, on the computer.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Eiro
Goldmember
1,342 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 04, 2014 19:51 |  #24

I enjoy these type of threads with my bag of popcorn. Awesomeness !

Rants are fun and do have some validity to them but nothing is going to change, everyone is a photog these days.

OP keep trucking and keep trying.

Spray and pray.

:D

Get out and shoot

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,625 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 05, 2014 20:21 |  #25

OP; you're of to a great start for just a week or 3 of use. you've got an eye for it. And a nice model too!

My daughter has said "Dad, technically you know a lot more about photography; but artistically, I'm better". She is absolutely right, and I am so impressed with what she can come up with!

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

sponsored links

5,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shots of my girlfriend C&C Welcome
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.