Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 03 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting Events...

tennfan1125
161 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2014 17:38 |  #1

Hello, I see so many of you shooting these great events.. So just how do you get permission to shoot. Who do you contact? or Who are you speaking with?

canon 30d, canon 1d mkIII, 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm, canon 1.4 extender, canon 400mm f2.8 IS, canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II, Canon 16-35mm f2.8,Pocket Wizards,430 ex II, 580 ex II, Canon 430 EX, sigma SA-9, 70-300 5.6, 28-80mm(which I NEVER use)

sponsored links
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,702 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 03, 2014 22:27 |  #2

For some it is a job, they get paid. For others such as high school and below or club sports you just walk up and start shooting.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Craign
Goldmember
1,189 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 04, 2014 08:11 |  #3

Walk confidently and carry a big camera.

tennfan Please don't say you are a Tennessee fan living in Lexington, KY. Keeneland opens in 8 weeks, great photo ops there. The first three days will include some of the best horses in racing. Go to the works for some beautiful early morning shots.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 04, 2014 09:14 |  #4

I just shoot public events. What specifically are you interested in?

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 04, 2014 10:13 |  #5

tennfan1125 wrote in post #17074157 (external link)
Hello, I see so many of you shooting these great events.. So just how do you get permission to shoot. Who do you contact? or Who are you speaking with?

You need to know your area and learn where to find events where cameras will be tolerated. Examples:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1029b0022_zps0e​c62b20.jpg (external link)

Small-college football game where the area behind the end zone is open to anyone. No pass needed and an assistant athletic director was pleased to see that a person with a camera was interested in the game.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …04a-3779a_zps1d1cd8f9.jpg (external link)

Fast-pitch softball tournament. Cameras were allowed and no pass was needed.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …14a-1610a_zpsbcdf4c9a.jpg (external link)

Road race where cameras are allowed from spectator areas.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0818a1095_zpsad​8b3dec.jpg (external link)

Bicycle race on city streets.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …a99301060_zpsa3​c52cf4.jpg (external link)

Indoor track meet with open access to the infield.

The combination of a polite and restrained non-controlling attitude, along with the sense of which events will tolerate cameras (usually small-time events) will produce a large number of events to be photographed.

In general, major events in big arenas with high ticket prices will not tolerate fans with cameras. It's best for hobby photographers to seek out small events that will offer plenty of opportunities for good visuals.

tennfan1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2014 12:08 |  #6

I am a Tennessee fan, I was born in that great state....but now I'm in ky for the last 15 years of my life. It's a bit of adjustment. But anyway I would like to be a professional sports photographer. I now have most of my gear, now I just need to get my foot in the door.

canon 30d, canon 1d mkIII, 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm, canon 1.4 extender, canon 400mm f2.8 IS, canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II, Canon 16-35mm f2.8,Pocket Wizards,430 ex II, 580 ex II, Canon 430 EX, sigma SA-9, 70-300 5.6, 28-80mm(which I NEVER use)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2014 12:28 |  #7

Craign wrote in post #17075109 (external link)
Walk confidently and carry a big camera.

tennfan Please don't say you are a Tennessee fan living in Lexington, KY. Keeneland opens in 8 weeks, great photo ops there. The first three days will include some of the best horses in racing. Go to the works for some beautiful early morning shots.

Well... probably not the right way to do it. Start at the bottom, little league, HS, etc and get good at it. Build a portfolio and then work your way up. There is no easy way to do it.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

tennfan1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2014 12:51 |  #8

Yeah that's what I plan on doing xchangx, So how did you end up at Getty, pretty impressive. I checked out your website. You seem to do and shoot exactly what I'd like to do. Great images, great shots. Thanks for the words... Working my way up is sheer I'll start

Gary2027
148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 04, 2014 14:01 |  #9

I'm not anything near xchangx's level, but here's what I did to start shooting at a couple Div 3 colleges about five years ago.

They're not big schools and they didn't worry about people standing near the fields. I shot a couple Football games and emailed the Sports Information Director a few of the photos and mentioned my interest in shooting if they needed someone. He liked the photos and invited me to shoot more sports and it evolved into shooting other related events for them as well.

I didn't make huge money doing it but it paid for the gear and it was fun for a while. Something to think about anyway.

Now I just like to shoot leisurely, mostly Surfing. Kicking back on the beach!

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 04, 2014 15:18 |  #10

Sorry, I can't really help ya. Even though I am doing a bit of stringing for Getty this summer/fall, they found me (thanks SportsShooter.com :)), I didn't go looking for work. I do it mainly for the enjoyment as this is just a hobby for me. I shoot mostly local high school and amateur stuff.

Though I must admit I have a blast doing the stuff I am doing for Getty.

I do remember reading this post on another forum though and thinking that he pretty much describes the tribulations of becoming a professional sports photographer pretty well.

http://photocamel.com …her-jobs.html#post1822206 (external link)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Maze4
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 04, 2014 15:51 as a reply to  @ rdalrt's post |  #11

I currently shoot for Maxpreps.com A division of CBS Sports dedicated to high school athletes across the US. You could try to start there. Submit an app and some samples of your work and see if you get approved. Once approved you need to have a minimum of 10 galleries approved and posted to your Maxpreps account before they will issue a media pass. Snoop around their site, look at other photographers images there and get an idea how we do things. Hope this helps.

My Maxpreps Page (external link)

PNPhotography
778 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 04, 2014 15:54 |  #12

I started with my local high school shooting some events and them creating a FB page to show them.Soon a lot of kids and parents began to "like" my page and pretty soon after that I got the AD's blessing (and pass) to shoot anything and go anywhere.
I started showing up and shooting a lot of other local high school events and making myself "seen" by as many AD's as possible and in some cases giving out hospitality photos to the right people.
Now I'm pretty much known by most AD's in the area and when I show up at most any event around here nobody even questions why I go where I go.
Like a previous posted said walk confidently and show that big lens around and with your dual cameras-act the part!!
Now I have some regular paying sport shoots and am growing in my paid shoots,senior shoots are coming too.
You have to get out there and shoot, once people know they can trust you, your on your way!

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Gary2027
148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 04, 2014 17:20 |  #13

canon rookie wrote in post #17076079 (external link)
....walk confidently and show that big lens around and with your dual cameras-act the part!!

Something kind of funny related to that is when I was at the Nissan Open PGA golf tournament at the Riviera CC in Los Angeles. It was the Pro Am day and I was in there with my 300 f2.8 on one camera, 70-200 on the other. No credentials.

Walking close to some of the pros from one hole to the next, the security guys held open the ropes and motioned me to come inside right along with the golfers.

Of course I didn't resist, went in and got some nice shots as they tee'd off and then walked down the fairway with them.

Milutiche
815 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 05, 2014 03:36 |  #14

Start at the bottom, I started by heading over to my local sports park and snapping pics of guys playing Rugby, I set up a facebook page and tagged their teams and encouraged the players to share the images and from that I now Photograph my Provincial Rugby team (Big Deal for me) I'm getting a little bit of work and a few photo orders just by putting myself out there.

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 05, 2014 08:51 |  #15

There isn't much too it. :)

Create a good portfolio over time. Generally 10-15 images, only 1 image per event and get that portfolio in front of the right people.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)

sponsored links

2,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting Events...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.