Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Aug 2014 (Monday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spot-metering 1dsiii

alabaster
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 04, 2014 09:57 |  #1

Hi, I'm trying to get multiple exposure readings of my image by using spotmetering. When I use the 'joystick' I only get readings for the edges of the oblong shaped part in the middle. Is it possible to get readings for the rest of the image? I have tried the 'fel' button, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 04, 2014 10:25 |  #2

alabaster wrote in post #17075319 (external link)
Hi, I'm trying to get multiple exposure readings of my image by using spotmetering. When I use the 'joystick' I only get readings for the edges of the oblong shaped part in the middle. Is it possible to get readings for the rest of the image? I have tried the 'fel' button, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

Have you read the camera manual on how to select individual focus points?

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2014 11:46 |  #3

alabaster wrote in post #17075319 (external link)

You shouldn't need to change the spot metering from the centre, when trying to take multiple readings, you just point it at the various parts of the scene and take each reading. You sort all that out, set your exposure and then compose your shot. If you just want ONE spot meter reading, then I believe the 1D series cameras can be set up to take it from any selected AF point, but you would need to check your manual to confirm that (I don't use a 1D).

But, going back to your multiple spot meter reading situation. I believe that you take a spot meter reading from the dark area, press FEL, then take one from the light area, press FEL again, then it will average them out. I believe the 1DsIII can do several readings this way and work out an average exposure (again, I don't have one so check your manual).

Personally, I don't like leaving the camera to decide on the exposure that way. I take spot meter readings of one or more parts of the scene and then decide on exposure myself, taking into account the tones I metered off, how important the shadows are etc.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2014 11:50 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #4

Ah, one more thought, are you trying to do this in manual mode?

You can only get the camera to do the multiple reading and give an average if you are in an automatic mode (as it involves the camera setting the exposure).

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 04, 2014 13:12 |  #5

I believe there is a control setting in the menu that will turn on spot metering linked to any focus point. Make sure that's turned on. Then use the control stick to move to the focus point over the area you want to meter and then use FEL. The 1DS Mark III can meter up to eight spots and average the exposure.

I use a Kodak Brownie

alabaster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 04, 2014 15:35 |  #6

Thanks guys, I do use manual mode, so that would explain why the fel thing did'nt work. i have the exposure combined to the af points, but somehow expected I could move around the entire image to get exposure readings. Presumably it's limited to the af points and you can't measure the edges of the frame.

Sandpiper, I agree with you. I don't like it when the camera decides for you either, but I thought you could use fel to get to wherever yoou want to go in the frame as well.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,955 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 05, 2014 07:05 as a reply to  @ alabaster's post |  #7

It's even more limited on a camera like the 1Ds Mark III, since there are 63 metering zones, but only 19 of these coincide with AF points. Thus the spot metering can be moved to the position of the 19 user selectable AF points only.
A camera like the 1DX, which has 252 metering zones, have one zone overlapping every one of the 61 AF points, and thus allows linking of the spot metering to any of the 61 AF points.

Anders

alabaster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 06, 2014 06:05 |  #8

It was different with the 1DSii, wasn't it? Now I understand why people complained about the limited user selectable AF points when going from the ii to the iii.

sponsored links

918 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spot-metering 1dsiii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.