Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2014 (Monday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you buy the same brand system you have now?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 04, 2014 15:47 |  #1

Supposing, for the sake of casual conversation, you lost all your gear in a fire. Every single piece. And you had a fat insurance check in your hand.

I think I would. I'm happy with Canon. I might check out Nikon and Sony, though probably not seriously.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,328 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 04, 2014 16:05 |  #2

I would stick with Canon, no matter how naive that would seem to gear junkies. While the Exmor sensors have the edge right now, it's an edge that no doubt is indiscernible to the human eye in most circumstances. Plus the pendulum is always in motion. There was a time when Canon had the superior technology hands down. It's likely to happen again.

My only issue would be that I'm familiar with Canon's user interface. Every time I pick up a Nikon I feel like a total newbie. Why learn another system?

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 04, 2014 16:42 |  #3

photoguy6405 wrote in post #17076062 (external link)
...Would you buy the same brand system you have now?

I'd stick with the camera and lens brand, but I'm irked with Manfrotto and wouldn't patronize 'em again.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2014 16:52 |  #4

Yes, very happy eith nikon.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,502 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2014 17:32 |  #5

I would buy Leica M instead of Canon. I will be completely switching over eventually.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,903 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 04, 2014 17:36 |  #6

it's hard to say. I'm used to Canon but then the dark side seems like a good change for the sake of a change. My photography skills aren't going to improve but it would be nice to have that change.

I would have to hold the camera in the hand first and see if it fits or if it fits the way I like it.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 04, 2014 17:54 |  #7

I would trade my Canon 3 body, 9 lens system for a Sony A7 kit any day!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

PhotosGuy
75,915 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 04, 2014 21:38 |  #8

When I'm shooting I don't want to have to think where the controls are, which way I need to turn them to change the ISO shutter speed or f-stop, which way I need to turn them to zoom, which way I need to turn them to focus, yaddayadda...
With film it was always Nikon. With digital, I'm sticking with Canon.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 04, 2014 22:54 |  #9

Honestly, I would switch to a full Fuji kit with the XT-1.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 04, 2014 23:23 |  #10

Keith_D wrote in post #17076836 (external link)
Honestly, I would switch to a full Fuji kit with the XT-1.

I am switching to a Fuji kit with the X-T1. If Adorama hadn't jacked up my order I would have been completely switched over by the end of the week. As it is now I have borrowed a co-workers 7D and talked a buddy into keeping my Sigma 30 for another week until I can get my order in with another retailer.

For a little more back story I was all Nikon for the longest time. Sold off all my Nikon gear after college since I wasn't shooting much and needed the cash as I was starting grad school. I decided to get back into photography and was all set to grab a Nikon D200 but then found a smoking deal on a 20D and a couple lenses. That was 7 years ago and I've been Canon until this week.

I'm not really much of a fanboi. I just like what I like and that can change from day to day, week to week, or year to year.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 04, 2014 23:28 |  #11

i shoot all kinds and brands of camera but if I had to start from scratch again, it would be a X100s or Ricoh GR again, then film a Leica body, Xpan and gf670

so in short, yes looks like ill be buying the same brand and camera

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 04, 2014 23:34 |  #12

If I lost everything and had to do it all over right now I think I also would move to fuji x-t1.....unless I got a check for far more then my set up is currently worth. At that point I'd switch to a Pentax 645Z :D

With fuji's lens road map showing they will be releasing a 50-140mm f2.8 lens this year I would be in. Only thing that would make it better is is sigma released their 18-35mm f1.8 in an X-mount for fuji

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 04, 2014 23:37 as a reply to  @ taemo's post |  #13

I'd go back to Nikon.

I've owned Nikon cameras since 1975, I still have three Nikon film bodies and a bag full of Nikkors.

I worked for a newspaper for 17 years which had been using Nikon for decades. In 1998 the newspaper went to Canon digital with the D2000 (another story). I bought a 350D in 2005 to take with me when I tripped around SE Asia. My boss wouldn't allow my works issued gear to leave the country. I could also use the work's issued lenses with the 350D. Been a Canon user ever since.

I'd go over to Nikon full frame so I can put my old Nikkors to good use.

I'd also love to go back to 4x5 B/W again. Another Sinar P2 with Schneider glass would fit the bill.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 05, 2014 04:04 |  #14

I started in digital with Minolta in 2000, jumped to Canon in 2004 when they were the only ones with a DSLR I could afford. In those days Canon was the leader and I naively thought they would maintain that lead. The last couple years I have been feeling that I made a mistake, but I am patently hanging on, waiting (and praying atheist prayers) for the 5D4

Elie / אלי

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,903 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 05, 2014 04:45 |  #15

tzalman wrote in post #17077069 (external link)
I started in digital with Minolta in 2000, jumped to Canon in 2004 when they were the only ones with a DSLR I could afford. In those days Canon was the leader and I naively thought they would maintain that lead. The last couple years I have been feeling that I made a mistake, but I am patently hanging on, waiting (and praying atheist prayers) for the 5D4

no one company is going to stay in the lead forever. The lead alwasys changes, right now that sony sensor is helping nikon with good digital range. In another 5 years it could all change.

But you should never consider any camera you buy as a mistake. the fact is that when we are comparing camera models we are looking at the smallest of details. Either system, canon, nikon, sony, fuji, olympus all can give the photographer a great photo.

It's always going to be about learning how to get the best from your gear.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links

4,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.