Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Milkyway nightscapes

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 04, 2014 17:02 |  #1411

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3908/14816867933_07fd182c10_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ozjj​Ce  (external link)
Milk Way 5 (external link) by Andy Xiong Photography (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 04, 2014 20:32 |  #1412

OK, I apologize for posting so many. I'm not posting them because I think they're awesome, I'm looking for help. Why can't I get my MW to pop like so many others here? These are shots from 2 different days/locations. The first couple were shot when there was a half moon directly above, but the last couple there wasn't any moon at all. Also, what else can I do, or shouldn't I do, to make the overall image better? I'm not talking about having cool scenery...the overall look of my shots suck in comparison to you guys.

HELP!!!

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/14678106594_2276110e72_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/on48​Hm  (external link) 6567 d (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3874/14678108494_77095766b1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/on49​h7  (external link) 02 (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5575/14742927181_7ea82e121c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/osMm​BF  (external link) 7458 (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
15 16 (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

GEAR LIST

Proper_propaganda
78 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 04, 2014 20:36 |  #1413

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #17076583 (external link)
OK, I apologize for posting so many. I'm not posting them because I think they're awesome, I'm looking for help. Why can't I get my MW to pop like so many others here? These are shots from 2 different days/locations. The first couple were shot when there was a half moon directly above, but the last couple there wasn't any moon at all. Also, what else can I do, or shouldn't I do, to make the overall image better? I'm not talking about having cool scenery...the overall look of my shots suck in comparison to you guys.

HELP!!!

It takes a lot of work! I'd try to find an area with less light pollution, that's the first thing that'll help you get your milky way to be more defined. The way I get my MW to really pop is to use selective curve adjustments to add contrast between the light and dark areas. It can be really easy to overdo that, so play around with it.

pkim1230
746 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 04, 2014 20:49 |  #1414

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #17076583 (external link)

HELP!!!

How to edit the Milky Way - Photoshop Tutorial (external link)

Gear | 6D, 550D, 1000D IR Modified, Samyang 24mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC f/4-5.6, iOptron SkyTracker

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 04, 2014 20:59 |  #1415

Thanks, Proper & pkim! I've watched that YT video a dozen times and still can't get that look. I keep telling myself it's because of light pollution, but I see plenty of pics with just as much and they have a more defined MW. Very frustrating!!

GEAR LIST

thanboora
188 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 04, 2014 21:15 |  #1416

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #17076637 (external link)
Thanks, Proper & pkim! I've watched that YT video a dozen times and still can't get that look. I keep telling myself it's because of light pollution, but I see plenty of pics with just as much and they have a more defined MW. Very frustrating!!

Your third one seems pretty good to me. As you know already being away from light pollution is very important.

Also seeing from your last image, you really need to know how the actual milky way looks like. look from other images of milky way and learn or get updated with the shape, feature, color etc of milky way, so to speak anatomy or morphology of milky way. knowing that will help you where in particular area of your image to edit and make more pop out while you're post processing.

| SGK | Canon EOS 60D | Sigma 10-20mm |
Gene Kim Flickr (external link)

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 04, 2014 21:21 |  #1417

Thanks, thanboora! I knew the color on the last one was kinda crazy, but I was just doing some experimenting. the second shot, I think, is so blue because the moon was high and bright as Hell.

Another thing that irritates me is, I can't get the sky to be black inside the MW without losing stars.

GEAR LIST

thanboora
188 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 04, 2014 22:57 |  #1418

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #17076674 (external link)
Thanks, thanboora! I knew the color on the last one was kinda crazy, but I was just doing some experimenting. the second shot, I think, is so blue because the moon was high and bright as Hell.

Another thing that irritates me is, I can't get the sky to be black inside the MW without losing stars.

Here's one that may help you in case you want to use lightroom.
http://www.shainblumph​oto.com/Photographytut​orials (external link)
If photoshop is better for you, one posted up with link will help you too.

Yeah, and moon makes night sky very blueish just as the sky is blue when sun is up at the day time. But thinking moon was up, and seeing some light pollution, it is somewhat understandable your second shot may not contain all details of milky way as it should in the better condition.

In fact with the last image of yours, I think color seem okay overall(may look a bit off to someone, but I still think it's okay and acceptable somewhat as a preference of editor, this is my opinion tho...)

However, the part where it is little bright at the center of milky way is a bit different from how milky way really looks like. You might have somehow manipulated layering or something else like retouching on the image in a wrong way/wrong spots. Especially the central bulge of milky way has dark dusty lanes and you need to spot these darker area correctly without brightening. (otherwise you may generate bright spots on the sky that does not exist)

Watching those tutorial will probably tell you where you should give a good contrast so that milky way should be popped out while maintaining it's native shape and structure (bright nebular area and dark dusty lanes within the milky way)

Anyways your image itself as original should contain good light info and as you practice over and over you will reach to one you will like. Then later on, you kind of know more about better settings and better places for shooting milky way then your images will get even better than now.

| SGK | Canon EOS 60D | Sigma 10-20mm |
Gene Kim Flickr (external link)

TC_Fenua
682 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 04, 2014 23:02 |  #1419

I like the third one too :) good job !

I don't remember if I posted this one ...

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7554876572_ca49ac5f49_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/cvAH​AC  (external link) Me shooting the Milky Way (external link) by Teva CHENE (external link), on Flickr

Teva , my Flickr (external link)
MataReva Photography (external link)
I suck at photography , but at least I'm having fun doing it :D

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 04, 2014 23:09 |  #1420

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #17076674 (external link)

You are almost there A&D. There is no better way of learning than trial and errors.
Avoid source of light in your near field. You have glare on some of the images.
As said, your third image is quite nice.
Its never enough to know how much light pollution takes away from your images. Check the light pollution map and figure out which is the closest and darkest sky near you and plan to camp there over a moonless night. Full moon for this month is Aug 10 so your best bet is weekend of Aug 23-24 that is if you should work during week days.

Black sky is a phenomenon of your F stop. Make it more narrow. Whatever you used in other images, if you don't like, use 1.5 to 2 stop narrower (Larger number) or more as needed. And yes you lose more stars and more importantly dim details of MW but then if that is what you want so stack images taken that way. Also try to improve your post processing skill. Selective burn and dodge tool use is what you want to concentrate on. You can never say you had enough of it.

Wish you to have clear dark nights.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

RedHeart
146 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 05, 2014 08:45 |  #1421

Ace and Deuce, the MW in the first and last pictures seems too blurred, like you moved the clarity slider way too far to the left.

The second and third pictures feature a more detailed MW than those I could get. So they look fine to me :D

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 05, 2014 08:53 |  #1422

samsen wrote in post #17076853 (external link)
You are almost there A&D. There is no better way of learning than trial and errors.
Avoid source of light in your near field. You have glare on some of the images.
As said, your third image is quite nice.
Its never enough to know how much light pollution takes away from your images. Check the light pollution map and figure out which is the closest and darkest sky near you and plan to camp there over a moonless night. Full moon for this month is Aug 10 so your best bet is weekend of Aug 23-24 that is if you should work during week days.

Black sky is a phenomenon of your F stop. Make it more narrow. Whatever you used in other images, if you don't like, use 1.5 to 2 stop narrower (Larger number) or more as needed. And yes you lose more stars and more importantly dim details of MW but then if that is what you want so stack images taken that way. Also try to improve your post processing skill. Selective burn and dodge tool use is what you want to concentrate on. You can never say you had enough of it.

Wish you to have clear dark nights.

Even away from the MW, the sky isn't completely black, and if you post-process so that it is, it won't look right. Inside the MW, the sky is far from black, and the longer your exposure, the more you will bring out.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 05, 2014 10:47 |  #1423

Sky watchers/photographers​:
This time not about MW but, Don't forget to look into Post number 69 of this thread for the important, soon to come events of this month.
>>> L I N K <<<

Get ready for fun nights of 2014 and keep the fingers crossed for the clear night sky.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,111 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 06, 2014 08:21 |  #1424

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Fire and Rain (external link) by jondblake (external link), on Flickr

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shots (external link)

LisaBlue85
484 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2014 09:35 |  #1425

J-Blake wrote in post #17079665 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
Fire and Rain (external link) by jondblake (external link), on Flickr

Breathtaking!

sponsored links

1,846,928 views & 7,919 likes for this thread
Milkyway nightscapes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.