Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Aug 2014 (Monday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CC Sunset from road.

Micro5797
486 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 04, 2014 16:32 |  #1

I would like some CC on this image.
Does this need more PP?
How is the composition?

I drove up over the hill and saw this sunset. Jumped out of my car. Took 6 images (2 sets of bracketed images) and was done in under 2 min.
I did not do a whole lot to this image. I bracketed, but only used the proper exposure and the one stop under exposed to mask in where the clouds were over exposed.
Vibrance +7 exposure +1.5 stops and a little bit of sharpening (raw).

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3877/14436524978_98aae83b4d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nZGX​V5  (external link) Sunset full res (external link) by MicroWarePhoto (external link), on Flickr"]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link)Sunset full res (external link) by MicroWarePhoto, on Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 04, 2014 18:58 |  #2

Nice light. I would have stepped over to the other side of the guard rail to compose with the rail beginning near the bottom/center of the frame and letting it terminate somewhere at the right of the frame. If possible, it might have benefited to zoom in just a bit to put some emphasis on the house in the distance.

Regardless, its a great shot!

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

hiketheplanet
650 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Aug 04, 2014 21:24 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #3

This is good work. Agree with the comments above. Still really like though.

Micro5797
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 04, 2014 21:33 |  #4

Thanks for the replies and feedback.

I will definitely look more into getting to the right of the guard rail. I will have to move back a ways further though, or else the tree will be front and center.

At that point i will see if i can shoot a little tighter.

With forest fires going on in neighboring states there should be some good color in the skies in the next month, if the haze clears up.

12Rock
619 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 04, 2014 21:49 |  #5

love it, i actually like the rail in it ...to each their own i guess

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2014 00:11 |  #6

That's beautiful. I'm on the fence about the rail. Nice shot!

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 05, 2014 01:13 |  #7

Picking up on some comments from above (rail, house, tree placement), most of the compositional elements are on the right hand side, and mostly lower in the image. The left hand third (give or take) is much sparser.

Stepping over the rail could have allowed a more dynamic use of the curved rail and less of the rail post. You might have also got some separation of the trees from the other elements.

Nice opportunity shot, though!

Cheers, Damien

Corey ­ Lack ­ Pictures
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 05, 2014 11:22 |  #8

If 15 photogs to take a photo and you get 15 different images. :)

You're clipping the blacks on the post, tree, and hills, but a simple bump off the shadows and you're back in business. You have foreground, middle, and back. I dig it. Makes me feel warm and eager for travel.

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 05, 2014 13:48 |  #9

Would be better to leave out as much man-made objects as possible on this beautiful (natural) setting. The post and metal rails spoil it a bit for me.

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 06, 2014 18:56 |  #10

I prefer it as is with the rail on that side. If you were to step over, you would only get the silohuette side of the rail. I think the sun lit rail adds to it.

If you can somehow capture more contrast in the hilly area to the left and the tree to the right (like more of a complete silhouette), that would complete it.

Some cameras, some lenses

meaton
81 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 07, 2014 05:35 |  #11

I would have got low to the left. The small boulders would have given foreground interest and you may have been able to replace the post with the backlit grasses just to the left.

Great light though.

cuda2k
564 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 10, 2014 09:49 |  #12

Processing is great, but I agree the composition could have been a little better had you moved left and or forward a bit. However none of us were there to see what that would have looked like so we're just second guessing. I would have probably tried to get forward closer to that tree in the mid-ground and made the valley and winding blacktop road more the focus if possible.

Website/Portfolio (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Picasa (external link) - Facebook Page (external link)
Canon 6D | 24-105Lmm | 17-40L | 28mm f1.8 | 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300mm

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 14, 2014 20:39 |  #13

meaton wrote in post #17081541 (external link)
I would have got low to the left. The small boulders would have given foreground interest and you may have been able to replace the post with the backlit grasses just to the left.

Great light though.

That would be my call as well.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

Micro5797
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 15, 2014 10:39 |  #14

Corey Lack Pictures wrote in post #17077676 (external link)
If 15 photogs to take a photo and you get 15 different images. :)

You're clipping the blacks on the post, tree, and hills, but a simple bump off the shadows and you're back in business. You have foreground, middle, and back. I dig it. Makes me feel warm and eager for travel.

The compression from flicker is doing the clipping via some compression. The pole has green and texture in the original image, but the via flicker, it loses a lot. I do need to go back and do some more pp for flicker and perhaps printing.

p00kienrayray wrote in post #17080855 (external link)
I prefer it as is with the rail on that side. If you were to step over, you would only get the silohuette side of the rail. I think the sun lit rail adds to it.

If you can somehow capture more contrast in the hilly area to the left and the tree to the right (like more of a complete silhouette), that would complete it.

Good point.

meaton wrote in post #17081541 (external link)

Great light though.

@meaton and Didereaux
After thinking about the area, composition etc. After seeing this pointed out. I agree that this could make for a strong image. I plan on giving this a shot in the near future.Assuming that there is room without falling off the edge as the shoulder gets a lot narrower behind where this image was taken from.

Thank you all for the constructive cc and compliments.

sponsored links

3,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
CC Sunset from road.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.