Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Aug 2014 (Monday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My new computer is slow on the internet, why?

reefvilla
719 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 04, 2014 21:27 |  #1

I have an older computer with very minimal memory, graphics and hard drive space and it starts slowing down when I get several photos up to edit. I decided to buy a new computer that I thought would be lightning fast.

HP Envy 700-216
SPECS:

Processor: AMD A10-6700 (3.7GHz) Up to 4.3GHz Turbo
Processor Core: Quad-Core
Memory: 12GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
Max Memory: 32GB
Memory Slots: 4
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8670D
Hard Drive: 2TB SATA (7200rpm)
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD±RW
Audio Codec: Integrated IDT 92HD73E
Sound: Built-in 7.1-Channel Audio
Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth: v4.0

It does great with the programs I run but when I get online it is very slow and seems like it takes a few seconds for the pages to load before you can click on anything. My old computer is Great for surfing and very fast.

The only thought I had was the included Mcafee anti virus so I disabled it for an hour but it didn't seem to help. I also went to the "start up" menu and disabled everything that I didn't need.

Any ideas why a new computer loaded with cool stuff is slower than my 3 yr. old computer?

Canon 6D : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 : Canon 17-40mm F4L

sponsored links
-dave-m-
488 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 04, 2014 22:34 |  #2

Have you checked your connection speed to make sure you are linking to your router at the maximum speed supported?

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 04, 2014 22:49 |  #3

Looks like a respectable system from a hardware standpoint. However, HP usually loads up their systems with a bunch of bloatware. Take a look at the installed programs and think about what you can do without. I would advise that you uninstall all of the trial software and install the programs you intend on using.

I assume it is running windows 8, if so and if you are having problems navigating you can use a start menu replacement utility, you also have access to the traditional control panel, you can find it in windows explorer, under computer, up on the ribbon bar.

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 04, 2014 23:21 |  #4

What web browser? Try Google Chrome (external link). Check that you're using a wired connection, not wireless.

Putting an SSD in there (easy) would speed things up a fair bit too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 05, 2014 04:59 |  #5

reefvilla wrote in post #17076687 (external link)
I have an older computer with very minimal memory, graphics and hard drive space and it starts slowing down when I get several photos up to edit. I decided to buy a new computer that I thought would be lightning fast.

HP Envy 700-216
SPECS:

Processor: AMD A10-6700 (3.7GHz) Up to 4.3GHz Turbo
Processor Core: Quad-Core
Memory: 12GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
Max Memory: 32GB
Memory Slots: 4
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8670D
Hard Drive: 2TB SATA (7200rpm)
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD±RW
Audio Codec: Integrated IDT 92HD73E
Sound: Built-in 7.1-Channel Audio
Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth: v4.0

It does great with the programs I run but when I get online it is very slow and seems like it takes a few seconds for the pages to load before you can click on anything. My old computer is Great for surfing and very fast.

The only thought I had was the included Mcafee anti virus so I disabled it for an hour but it didn't seem to help. I also went to the "start up" menu and disabled everything that I didn't need.

Any ideas why a new computer loaded with cool stuff is slower than my 3 yr. old computer?

Heya,

Format it, reinstall clean without the bloat/antivirus, etc. If your web browsers are slow, it's usually software, not hardware. Specifically antivirus and antimalware.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2014 06:45 |  #6

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17076829 (external link)
I assume it is running windows 8, if so and if you are having problems navigating you can use a start menu replacement utility, you also have access to the traditional control panel, you can find it in windows explorer, under computer, up on the ribbon bar.

YES, I need a Start Menu!!! Any suggestions on what to use for that?

ALSO, I totally forgot that my old computer is connected with an Ethernet wire and the new computer is connected wirelessly so that could be part of it maybe!?

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2014 06:46 |  #7

MalVeauX wrote in post #17077119 (external link)
Heya,

Format it, reinstall clean
Very best,

If I was going to do all that I would just buy Windows 7 and install

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 05, 2014 06:55 |  #8

reefvilla wrote in post #17077218 (external link)

ALSO, I totally forgot that my old computer is connected with an Ethernet wire and the new computer is connected wirelessly so that could be part of it maybe!?

In case you do want it to be wireless, then you should maybe consider upgrading your wireless router - or check if the low bandwidth is just a question of placement/orientation of the antennas. But lots of improved WiFi standards have been released over the years.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 05, 2014 07:28 |  #9

Start8 from Stardock and StartIsBack are among the best paid (an inexpensive) ones.

Yes, if the computer is trying to use both wireless and hard wire adapters, that can create lag time. Disable one at a time and see which is best.

If the new computer runs your programs fast, it's likely not the processor, memory, hard drive or even the OS. Could be the browser you are using, try different ones.

Could be the new network adapter(s) communicating with your router - router may need a firmware update. I'd do a ping test from a DOS prompt and see what your times are to ping a known site location. Also dslreports.com and other sites have speed tests that you can run from a browser. Lots to look for before a format and reload.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2014 07:30 |  #10

cutwater wrote in post #17077260 (external link)
Start8 from Stardock and StartIsBack are among the best paid (an inexpensive) ones.

Thanks!

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 05, 2014 07:39 |  #11

reefvilla wrote in post #17077264 (external link)
Thanks!

You're welcome! Google it, read some reviews, there are some free alternatives too. The two I mentioned have 30 day trial periods, see which works best for you.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

Trugga
648 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 05, 2014 07:39 |  #12

I too recently (Friday) bought a HP Envy (700-230ea) W8.1 and have experienced an "iffy" internet experience when using IE. I installed Google Chrome which runs really smooth without issue.

Apparently, it is something to do with "compatibiity mode" in IE.

Lawrence

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2014 07:49 |  #13

Trugga wrote in post #17077279 (external link)
I too recently (Friday) bought a HP Envy (700-230ea) W8.1 and have experienced an "iffy" internet experience when using IE. I installed Google Chrome which runs really smooth without issue.

Apparently, it is something to do with "compatibiity mode" in IE.

Lawrence

Hmmm.. That's good to know! Thanks

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,406 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 05, 2014 20:54 |  #14

quite possible - if you still have your old machine running, try doing an online speedtest (external link) to see what your internet connection speed actually is, then do same from new one to see what the wireless thruput is in comparison. (make sure you wait for the whole page to load & hit the "begin test" button in the middle, and not one of the "start scan" advert buttons...)

The other thing that might be holding things up is if the DNS settings on the Wifi side are either incorrect or pointing to a server that doesn't exist.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 05, 2014 21:05 |  #15

joeseph wrote in post #17078839 (external link)
quite possible - if you still have your old machine running, try doing an online speedtest (external link) to see what your internet connection speed actually is, then do same from new one to see what the wireless thruput is in comparison. (make sure you wait for the whole page to load & hit the "begin test" button in the middle, and not one of the "start scan" advert buttons...)

The other thing that might be holding things up is if the DNS settings on the Wifi side are either incorrect or pointing to a server that doesn't exist.

From Ping-test.net

OLD COMPUTER With Hard wired Ethernet cable
Download speed: 14.86 mb/s
Upload speed: 1.72 mb/s
Latency: 55.5 ms

NEW COMPUTER which is wireless
Download speed: 12.75 mb/s
Upload speed: 1.77 mb/s
Latency: 58.5 ms

sponsored links

5,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
My new computer is slow on the internet, why?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.