Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Jul 2013 (Saturday) 03:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

stratos_k
65 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 05, 2014 07:49 |  #31

Hello,

It's been a long time since a visited this forum. I think i suffer too from GAS.
I bought my 600d, then the 50mm, then a di466 flash and want to buy stuff all the time for my dslr... I bought a new sling strap, a grey card set for light metering, diffusers for my flash and now i want to buy a tripod and wireless flash triggers. Usually cheap stuff that i can afford (but i would love to get a L lens, just because it's L)
Oh the most important is that i have about 2 months to take out from the bag my 600d. The flash i bought has maximum 20 shots.
All the time i think that "if i get this gadget i will shoot better photos". I finally get it, use it for a couple a minutes to see how it works, and then stick it on a drawer for the rest of the time.
I read all the time about photography, i study youtube tutorials with techniques but i don't use these techniques anywhere.

Do i really like photography?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 05, 2014 21:29 |  #32

Well, hey, welcome to POTN and jump in!

And, take some photos! GAS is normal, but if you don't get out and shoot, well, why buy a car if you aren't going to drive it!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,930 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 05, 2014 22:33 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #33

You folks talk about GAS as if it is something bad. I have GAS and I love it :D

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 06, 2014 00:41 |  #34

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16120334 (external link)
I don't have an interest in the gear. I don't think cameras and lenses are "cool", or particularly interesting. It's the images I am obsessive about. Gear is just something I need to help me create the images I want to create.

Now, there is some gear I would like very much to have - but it's only so that I can make the images I want. Kind of like how a plumber wants a new cable snake with more horsepower . . . it's not because he cares about the snake; it's because he wants to be able to do jobs that he can't do with his current snake because it's underpowered. Nobody thinks the power snake is "cool". Nobody cares about it. That's how I view camera gear - it's just a tool.

So, when I want a new lens or a new body, I don't view it as GAS. It's just a guy wanting a better tool for the job at hand.

I feel the same way. I think maybe because images excite me, but I get really bored reading product reviews and technical specifications. I wouldn't say I'm a minimalist, but I'm more minimal than quite a few of my peers simply because getting new gear requires researching new gear. And honestly, that bores the hell out of me.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 06, 2014 08:11 |  #35

Sibil wrote in post #17079021 (external link)
You folks talk about GAS as if it is something bad. I have GAS and I love it :D

GAS is good until you get bloated

shanehawley
89 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 06, 2014 08:58 |  #36

i used to be this way until i saw my credit card bill!

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 06, 2014 22:21 |  #37

shanehawley wrote in post #17079741 (external link)
i used to be this way until i saw my credit card bill!

Same with me and the corresponding bank account balance when I paid off my credit card. If I can't afford to buy it now, it can wait.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,552 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 07, 2014 09:11 |  #38

Mark0159 wrote in post #16116115 (external link)
We all suffer from it at some time, typically when we start out for it's easy to see that it's the gear that makes the photo and not the photographer.

So I post this here so someone may understand what they have and how they can get around it.

http://petapixel.com …rable-and-lose-thousands/ (external link)

Which currency this article dude operates? Claiming to spend thousands and listing XA and PAN. Was he calculating it in pennies? :D
It is typical petapixel.com atritcle, IMO. Too long to read, too difficult to find something new.

G.A.S. is popular topic here, not as popular as "UV filter" but in the same league. IMO.

But in respect to longtimer as OP is...

I think the real G.A.S. trigger is in believe, what where is better gear vs one you currently own.
"Normally" it is better because it gives better picture, or easier to use.

So, we have Zeiss, Leica glass fans for "better" and we have kind of "easier" argument for mirrorless crowd.

Personally, for digital I have two "old" DSLRS and four lenses, three of them are L.
I have tried Zeiss magic, yes, IQ is above L, but MF on DSLR is very unpractical.

Have zero interest in "mirrorless", "darkside" and "I need high ISO" excuses to practise G.A.S. on digital. I'm capable to get and provide high IQ pictures with my current digital gear.

Film...

I started my G.A.S. thirty years ago by borrowing RF camera from my parents. Using it still. Fifteen years ago my family acquired cheap Canon EOS to replace dirt cheap P&S junk. Still using it. With L glass on it.

The head of provided article made me laugh, because I own XA also. My daughter and her ex-boyfriend gave me ... $50 BD gift card and I purchased this camera. It was my "never on digital from now" film camera for street photography.

I spend another $50 to buy Pre-War Zeiss 645 format folder, CLAed it and my wife doesn't want to let it go, so clean and cute it is.

Our relatives gave me even older Ihagee folder. I CLAed it and converted it to 6x9 format. I can't sell the gift, you know.

As Canadian, I do have made in Canada Leica. These days in this part of the world it is a luxury to have something locally made. Plus, comparing to younger Bessa Rs, this one has local and world-wide support and it is joy to use.

So, those cameras aren't G.A.S, but S.A.S.

Sentimental. Acquisition. Sindrome.

The circumstances they came to me and my wife are not allowing us to let them go.

The rest of my film gear is just to try and learn. And it is nowhere near thousands.
I buy it for around $100 and sell it for same or less to try something new.
Like, I purchased EOS 3 just to see how its magic AF works for pictures taking. Clean, no issues high end camera for slightly above $100 price tag.

I see zero practical reason to have expensive film gear. For my b/w darkroom 8x10 prints the IQ difference between Leica glass and cheap FSU is zero.
I see much more difference between 135 and MF. But, again zero difference in wet prints between Hasselblad and my $100 including lens Mamiya C33 professional.

Scans would show some difference between very expensive film glass and cheap one, but people don't need my scans, while some appreciate my darkroom prints.

So, I'm safe to try and learn on film side to buy and try and sell. Nothing in thousands if you need cute pictures, but not the gear to rave about at forums, while your pictures sucks :cool:

Cheers, Ko.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,840 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2014 15:24 |  #39

Look at my gear list then you will know what is GAS, and still i am not done yet.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,930 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 07, 2014 18:09 |  #40

Tareq wrote in post #17082518 (external link)
Look at my gear list then you will know what is GAS, and still i am not done yet.

My jaw dropped

Tareq
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2014 18:15 |  #41

Sibil wrote in post #17082801 (external link)
My jaw dropped

Really?!!! my gear list is not that great appealing yet, i don't have super teles, no 80mp digital medium format, no 5D MarkIII or even MarkII, no D800/D810, no A7s, not even any new Canon entry level cameras such as 7D/70D/600D,...etc, so why your jaw dropped on my Gr-list?

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,930 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 08, 2014 05:36 |  #42

Tareq wrote in post #17082822 (external link)
... so why your jaw dropped on my Gr-list?

It's a long list of good gear with many 1D bodies and L lenses. I have seen bigger list, but yours is not a short list of gear either. Certainly a larger collection than an average POTN member.

Tareq
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 08, 2014 08:14 |  #43

Sibil wrote in post #17083601 (external link)
It's a long list of good gear with many 1D bodies and L lenses. I have seen bigger list, but yours is not a short list of gear either. Certainly a larger collection than an average POTN member.

Ok, good to know

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,411 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 08, 2014 11:53 |  #44

I was starting to get gas..i think because I was new and didn't know what I was doing

Well I'm still pretty new at photography..but after acquiring a lense with a more usable (for me) range and having learned how to use my camera a little better i don't have the same urgency to acquire a ff camera..i will get one but I'm finding my t4i alot more usable (simply because I've taken the time to learn to use it)

The only thing that i do want is a flash to help me out in low light

So yeah i was one of those people who was getting gas due to frustration with my lack of knowledge and experience (I still have a long way to go)

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

sponsored links

4,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear Acquisition Syndrome
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.