Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 00:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D Tips please

Benedictine
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 06, 2014 00:57 |  #1

I am awaiting delivery of my new 70D, after using for some years a trusty 650D, and am wondering if there are any tips that members would like to share for getting used to the 70D. I am especially interested in knowing what would be a good SD card for this camera and whether or not the SanDisk Extreme III I have been using in my 650 is compatible?

Many thanks for any advice.

It’s all part of the rich tapestry of life.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 06, 2014 01:01 |  #2

Heya,

The only real difference is the AF system options and the video options.

The rest is quite literally the same.

Your SD card is plenty good, keep using it.

Best tip for this: read your camera's manual. Then go shooting and stop worrying about anything specific. Don't be afraid to push ISO hard to the limit. It can take it.

Very best, :)

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 06, 2014 01:28 |  #3

Thanks MalVeauX that is a help. Looking forward to pushing the ISO...this is going to be fun! :-)

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,688 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 06, 2014 02:37 |  #4

MalVeauX wrote in post #17079249 (external link)
Heya,

The only real difference is the AF system options and the video options.

The rest is quite literally the same.

Your SD card is plenty good, keep using it.

Best tip for this: read your camera's manual. Then go shooting and stop worrying about anything specific. Don't be afraid to push ISO hard to the limit. It can take it.

Very best, :)

Not 100% true.. They're setup differently, ie; the controls/buttons. I have both, and after shooting with the 70D, when I grab my 650D, I find my self fumbling to quickly change settings, especially aperture. I really like how the 70D is setup, having the top screen to make quick adjustments, and the wheel on the back, instead of the direction pads the 650D has.

The most I've pushed the ISO is 3200, which is 4x more than I would on the 650D.

Ron
My Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 06, 2014 02:39 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #17079249 (external link)
Best tip for this: read your camera's manual.

If you can understand the thing, then good luck to you. I find "Canonese" extremely difficult, if not impossible, to follow.

Either manuals were simpler back in my Nikon FE film camera days, or "Nikonese" was easier to learn. Or maybe I've aged!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 06, 2014 02:40 |  #6

frozenframe wrote in post #17079327 (external link)
Not 100% true.. They're setup differently, ie; the controls/buttons. I have both, and after shooting with the 70D, when I grab my 650D, I find my self fumbling to quickly change settings, especially aperture. I really like how the 70D is setup, having the top screen to make quick adjustments, and the wheel on the back, instead of the direction pads the 650D has.

The most I've pushed the ISO is 3200, which is 4x more than I would on the 650D.

That's just ergonomics. Not features, like hardware/software. Ergonomics is completely subjective from person to person. Hard features are not. It either has a better AF system, or not. It either has better video capability, or not. Add to that a few more megapixels (negligible honestly), and a bit better ISO (noteworthy). MFA is a big deal too.

Lowner wrote in post #17079329 (external link)
If you can understand the thing, then good luck to you. I find "Canonese" extremely difficult, if not impossible, to follow.

Either manuals were simpler back in my Nikon FE film camera days, or "Nikonese" was easier to learn. Or maybe I've aged!

Reading the manual to know what features you have access to, how to do certain things, is a great way to start with a new piece of equipment. Sure, you can just fumble with your new camera. I've done that. I felt silly when I had to google how to allow one of my cameras function with a manual lens attached, when I could have just read the manual, after having fumbled through menus for a while looking for it in places that I thought made sense, only to find it elsewhere.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 06, 2014 03:12 |  #7

The 650d will feel like a toy camera once you start getting used to the 70d, the ergonomics are worth the upgrade alone.

Raw ISO performance, In good light ISO 6400 is clean, in bad light 6400 and pushed 1 or 2 stops it needs a tiny bit of noise reduction 20 lum and 25 colour in LR5. WB is never right at those high ISO's but are easily fixed.

AF performance is amazing, even a slow lens like the nifty fifty is sped up on the 70d. Touchscreen auto focus is good for candid's, people think you are chimping while you are actually shooting. Facial tracking is very good.

MFA is a definite bonus, saved me returning a lens or two.

It's a great camera, I am sure you will have fun with it!

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 06, 2014 03:39 |  #8

Lowner wrote in post #17079329 (external link)

The manual is simple and easy to understand. you no need to read page 1 to last if you upgrade from canon and canon, a lot of function is same.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 06, 2014 04:23 |  #9

Thanks everyone so far (!) the more I hear the more I can't wait. I have downloaded to my Kindle a book by Charlote Lowrie called Canon EOS 70d Digital Field Guide which seems very comprehensive so hope all will soon be understood.

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 06, 2014 09:11 |  #10

I just swapped my 7D for a 70D - had it 2 days and I love it. It feels a lot like my 7 minus a few focusing modes - but the 70d has so much more that I personally wanted. WiFi works great / touchscreen is awesome / swivel screen is good to have - and I wanted this for video and it does work as they said it would, great. You're going to love it! I was worried about reading all the "focus issue" threads but mine works great with my 40 2.8. Play with the multiple exposure feature too!

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 06, 2014 09:32 |  #11

tat3406 wrote in post #17079359 (external link)
The manual is simple and easy to understand. you no need to read page 1 to last if you upgrade from canon and canon, a lot of function is same.

I'm glad it works for you. Some of it is OK, but It could be in the original Japanese when it comes to a few important details for all the sense it makes to me. I need a decoder, someone who is prepared to explain things to me using simple language in a way that makes sense to me.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 06, 2014 12:38 |  #12

I've been very happy with the David Busch's camera model books (www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Digital-Photography-Guides/dp/1285765265/ (external link)), though I tried a Kindle (paperwhite) version for my 70D and ended up also buying the book version. My Kindle Paperwhite just doesn't render charts, etc. correctly.

I do refer to the manual, every so often, but as has been mentioned, I need to keep my decoder ring handy. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 06, 2014 14:43 |  #13

frozenframe wrote in post #17079327 (external link)

??? I'm confused, sorry...:oops:
So you never shot above ISO 400 on your 650d?? (400,800,1600,3200)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,261 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 06, 2014 15:40 |  #14

As is often the case international Canon sites oftennhave the best information. Go to http://web.canon.jp/im​aging/eos70dshootinggu​ide/ (external link) for Canon's 70D Master Shooting Guide.

Benedictine
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 06, 2014 23:26 |  #15

Thanks you all for your input.

John from PA wrote in post #17080498 (external link)
As is often the case international Canon sites oftennhave the best information. Go to http://web.canon.jp/im​aging/eos70dshootinggu​ide/ (external link) for Canon's 70D Master Shooting Guide.

Special thanks to Joh for the above link, wish I had known about this site before:o

sponsored links

2,091 views & 0 likes for this thread
70D Tips please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.