Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever dropped your camera?

A5forfighting
626 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 05, 2014 01:38 |  #76

7D and the 70-200 managed to unzip my bag. sickening thud as it hit the ground. No damage! Got insurance after that happened.

7D, S95, EOSM,

sponsored links
Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 05, 2014 06:21 |  #77

Dropped my Fuji (sorry) S602 and smashed it to bits hence my coming over to Canon.

I like what I like.

davomate
114 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 05, 2014 18:36 |  #78

A5forfighting wrote in post #17076988 (external link)
Got insurance after that happened.

That gives great peace of mind. You can use your gear without being paranoid about it being stolen or damaged, knowing your maximum loss is the excess on your policy.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8L IS II / 100-400L / 100L Macro / Σ 30 f1.4 A / Σ 85 f1.4

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 05, 2014 18:40 |  #79

I am very fortunate to say that I have never dropped my equipment whatsoever. In 4 years, I have been extremely careful with all of my stuff. *knock on wood*

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2014 02:11 |  #80

Pearlallica wrote in post #17076855 (external link)
That is a great story. It's nice when bad stories can sometime quickly turn out good. I'm surprised that the warranty covered accidents.

It doesn't. But I guess they decided to do it under warranty anyways. I clearly wrote on the form that I dropped it. I'm certainly not complaining and I did buy the next lens from Sigma as well because of it. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 06, 2014 02:25 |  #81

kfreels wrote in post #17079302 (external link)
It doesn't. But I guess they decided to do it under warranty anyways. I clearly wrote on the form that I dropped it. I'm certainly not complaining and I did buy the next lens from Sigma as well because of it. :-)

Maybe you hadn't smashed up anything in the lens, but something had come lose or decentered and they felt that maybe some screws wasn't as tightened as they should have been. It is easier to charge a customer if they can point at actually impact-damaged or moisture-damaged parts.

All lenses are expected to survive some amounts of knocks, but it's hard to figure out what is a reasonable amount.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 06, 2014 09:58 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #82

Several times. Here are couple of my monumental ones.

1. A Nikon F off a crane gantry while shooting over head shots of a machine shop at a heavy industry plant. I still have the camera and it works OK.

2. Nikon F4 off a cliff while covering the recovery of a hang glider pilot when I was working for a newspaper. Camera was brought cliff top by police rescue team on the stretcher with the patient. Patient minor injuries, camera written off.

3. There is a Nikon F4 at the bottom of the ocean about five kilometres off the coast of New South Wales.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 06, 2014 10:05 |  #83

Yep, dropped my 300D with 85mm non L Canon lens. No more auto focus otherwise good lens. Long time later dropped same combo, and guess what, the lens started auto focusing again. and still working years later.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 06, 2014 10:08 |  #84

I'm such a klutz that I use a wrist strap all of the time. I've been pretty lucky, so far with no drops.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,067 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 06, 2014 11:09 |  #85

I dropped mine once after I got a new shoulder strap. I had connected the strap to my lens, decided to change the lens. forgot that the lens was connected to the strap and down went the camera. The 7D landed on the pop up flash damaging it. Otherwise it is just fine.

The camera and my lens get minor bumps all the time but outside of minor cosmetic damage no problems.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

pkim1230
THREAD ­ STARTER
746 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 07, 2014 02:23 |  #86

Do you guys state that you dropped your gear when you're selling it?

Gear | 6D, 550D, 1000D IR Modified, Samyang 24mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC f/4-5.6, iOptron SkyTracker

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2014 12:07 |  #87

pkim1230 wrote in post #17081424 (external link)
Do you guys state that you dropped your gear when you're selling it?

Good question. My 70-200 was damaged and had to be sent in for service so if I ever sold it I would mention that. My 7D hit a carpeted floor once from a tripod and a laminate floor once while strapped to me while I was falling. Neither did any damage and it's been over a year and no hidden damage has emerged either so I don't see any point in mentioning it. Not that I'm hiding anything. It's just the day to day bumps and bruises that any camera can get along the way.

When I'm buying I don't even ask. If it's working right and there's no visible damage, then it's working right and no visible damage. If someone said "I dropped it 2 years ago from 10 ft onto concrete and there's not a scratch on it and everything works perfectly", my thought wouldn't be "Did I get something that's going to fail on me?". It would be "Wow. I'm buying something really rugged!"

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2014 15:22 |  #88

I dropped few of my cameras including Hasselblad H4D-60, and this alone costs me a kidney, but i repaired it and bought a very hard case and sealed it forever.

Well, most of the time or say all the time i drop my cameras due to rush/hurry to move or go out and forgetting to zip/close my bags so they slip out while i carry up my bags and then watching my camera with or without lenses on the hard floors.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 15, 2014 23:36 |  #89

Unfortunately I had some bad luck last month while taking a cross-country Amtrak trip from Wisconsin to Oregon. I borrowed my daughter's compact backpack camera bag and I developed a bad habit of not completely zipping the camera compartment shut. I dropped my 7d and 17-55 f2.8 EF-S from about 3 feet to the hotel floor. After that the auto-focus would hunt much of the time. Since I was trying to keep the weight down, I only packed my 17-55 and 70-200 f4L. I had to manually focus most of the time. Two days later I made the same mistake except this time it feel about 2 feet to concrete. I landed directly on the end of the lens cap. My Hoya Digital Pro filter shattered. The camera now hunts even more during auto-focus. It appears the lens took the shot since my 70-200 seems to be focusing properly. I'll be sending the lens in to Canon shortly. This is my first serious accident in 41 years I've been activity involved in photography.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 16, 2014 03:00 as a reply to  @ post 17065549 |  #90

Twice, once my 1100D straight to mud when I changed lenses. Somehow lost my balance and camera slipped out of my hand. I quickly picked it up and controls were all messed up. I placed in dehumidifier for 2 days, tried again and no problem.

Other accident was much worse. I dropped my 6D on a concrete while I was shooting in an abandoned factory. Had it in my hand and I was walking around, stumbled on a brick or something and fell on my stomach pretty hard. Camera went flying out of my hands and straight to concrete! Lens (50mm f/1.8) was in million pieces and camera had bad scratches on the top of it. I removed the lens, placed another one to it. And it works! Around 2 months now and still going strong.

Ive had 2 cameras now, just got my 1D3 as a backup for 6D. Wonder when that will drop? :)

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links

20,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever dropped your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.