Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What'd I do wrong here?

chight
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 06, 2014 14:49 |  #1

Trying to get some good quality shots of this baby, but my lighting set up is clearly all wrong. There are shadows everywhere and it just looks so snapshot-y. I'm looking for a more wrapped, soft light without all the extra shadows.

If anyone can tell from looking at it what needs to be changed, I'd love to hear it. Lighting diagram is attached as well, but is was:
- 580EXII camera left, angled down @ 45 degrees, with shoot-through umbrella, and
- Bare speedlight camera right (close to floor) aimed at background (or so I thought anyway).

My first thought was move the umbrella to right next to me, and maybe move her further from the background. But I would love to hear anyone else's opinions if you've seen a similar issue and know how to fix it. TIA!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Colleen
Hight Photo (external link)
6D | 70-200 f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8 | Trusty Rebel T3i & kit lenses | And a big wish list...

sponsored links
5280Pics
Goldmember
2,321 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 06, 2014 14:53 |  #2

For starters, try moving the baby/subject farther away from the wall. Then move the umbrella closer to the baby/subject. The closer the better, and point it directly at the subject.

If you are looking to blowout the back ground, make sure your second bare flash is set about 2 stops brighter than your key light

chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 06, 2014 15:00 |  #3

Thanks for the super-fast response... I get a second shot at her this afternoon, so that will be the first thing I try!

Colleen
6D | 70-200 f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8 | Trusty Rebel T3i & kit lenses | And a big wish list...

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 06, 2014 15:02 |  #4

Also raise the lights so the shadows fall lower. Actually the shadow on the right makes it look like the light on the left was below her.

Actually looking again all of the shadows are from the "background light" it's the chair shadow to the right that looks like a low angle light on the girl. I'd still suggest raising that light though as my main answer, and the catch lights could come from higher up so the main light could/should be raised as well.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,499 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 06, 2014 15:03 |  #5

Yeah, a common mistake is putting your subject right up next to the background. Keep your subject to backdrop distance at least 4 feet.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 06, 2014 15:03 as a reply to  @ 5280Pics's post |  #6

Hey Colleen, I agree 100% with what 5280 said concerning the main light. As close as possible.
The usual location for the background light is directly behind the subject to eliminate the chair shadow on the chest. You'll have to play with the light angle on the wall to achieve pleasing lighting on the background and figure out how to hide it behind your uber-cute subject. You might also try raising the background light and bouncing it off the ceiling from your right for soft uniform effect on the background. If aimed properly this might also offer a little hair light that will achieve better subject separation from the background and reduce the "snap shot" look you're talking about. Good luck!

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.com (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 06, 2014 15:34 as a reply to  @ CamFan01's post |  #7

everything said so far is good advice. It looks like your main light in the umbrella is too low also.

edit: missed travis' post the first time :brokenrecord:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 06, 2014 15:59 |  #8

It would been a better image if you would have used 1 light of have both on the same side

I AM SHOM

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 06, 2014 16:03 |  #9

I wouldn't go bare bulb on any of the lights unless you want harsher light. Umbrella on both and move them both closer.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 06, 2014 19:47 |  #10

Okay, thanks so much for all the feedback. I get a second chance this Saturday, so her baby-doll and I have some evening appointments before then to try out the advice. Sounds like everyone is in agreement, which makes it a little easier to implement :) Thank you!!!

Colleen

chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 12, 2014 14:03 |  #11

Okay, take two... baby moved away from background, light source higher and closer to her.

This is definitely closer to what I was trying to get (although it's not *quite* SOOC) but I wanted to see if anyone had any CC to offer. Also, is it just me or is the focus a little soft on her eyes?

Thanks in advance!

HOSTED PHOTO

Colleen

DelSlow
48 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 12, 2014 15:11 |  #12

Yeah that looks a little soft on the eyes. What camera/lens are you using? What are the settings used for that shot? The second photo looks a lot better than the first. However, the sharpness looks better on the first.

Canon 6D : 50mm 1.8, 28-135mm, 70-200mm f4L, 430exII

chight
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 13, 2014 13:33 |  #13

DelSlow wrote in post #17091669 (external link)
Yeah that looks a little soft on the eyes. What camera/lens are you using? What are the settings used for that shot? The second photo looks a lot better than the first. However, the sharpness looks better on the first.

Both were using the same T3i with a 70-200 2.8L IS. This one was shot at f/8, 1/100, ISO 100. I've been struggling with sharp focus using that lens, so it's probably time to do a few test exercises and see if it's me or the lens. Or more accurately, see what specific kind of user error it is so I can hopefully avoid more of the same :)

Colleen

ozzmodan
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 13, 2014 13:57 |  #14

chight wrote in post #17093896 (external link)
Both were using the same T3i with a 70-200 2.8L IS. This one was shot at f/8, 1/100, ISO 100. I've been struggling with sharp focus using that lens, so it's probably time to do a few test exercises and see if it's me or the lens. Or more accurately, see what specific kind of user error it is so I can hopefully avoid more of the same :)

Tripod?
IS on/off?
One shot/AI servo?
Are you focusing on her eyes & then recomposing or selecting a focus point?

Gear List

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 13, 2014 13:59 |  #15

chight wrote in post #17080408 (external link)
Trying to get some good quality shots of this baby, but my lighting set up is clearly all wrong. There are shadows everywhere and it just looks so snapshot-y. I'm looking for a more wrapped, soft light without all the extra shadows.

If anyone can tell from looking at it what needs to be changed, I'd love to hear it. Lighting diagram is attached as well, but is was:
- 580EXII camera left, angled down @ 45 degrees, with shoot-through umbrella, and
- Bare speedlight camera right (close to floor) aimed at background (or so I thought anyway).

My first thought was move the umbrella to right next to me, and maybe move her further from the background. But I would love to hear anyone else's opinions if you've seen a similar issue and know how to fix it. TIA!

What did you use to create the lighting setup diagram?

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links

3,321 views & 0 likes for this thread
What'd I do wrong here?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.