Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 03:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do we all end up using Lightroom?

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 07, 2014 04:26 |  #106

agedbriar wrote in post #17081482 (external link)
Does that mean that the current version of DPP will also yield higher image quality from .CR2 files created by a 30D than the DPP of 2007 ?

I'm not sure. That would also depend on if Canon is using the same code for all demosaic or if they have custom code for different sensor generations.

And it also depends on what improvements Canon has made to their demosaic code.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2014 04:49 |  #107

agedbriar wrote in post #17081482 (external link)
Does that mean that the current version of DPP will also yield higher image quality from .CR2 files created by a 30D than the DPP of 2007 ?

If the algorithms in DPP have improved, then most definitely yes.
It depends what kind of work went into DPP.

The most obvious contender for improvement would actually be noise reductions.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2014 14:29 |  #108

I don't use lightroom, but i think i should start to use it again after i see many here using it even more than photoshop, i am happy with Photoshop and DPP that i rarely would like to use Lightroom, and with Hasselblad files there is Phocus, but i use PS also for that file, and i am thinking to try P1 Capture One over Lightroom.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2014 02:42 |  #109

tzalman wrote in post #17077125 (external link)
But jumping ship when LR6 is just around the corner makes no sense to me. Who knows what it will bring?

LightRoom Creative Cloud?

That would - for me - definitely be enough to dump LR as I have been forced to dump other Adobe products. I'm not paying Adobe's subscriptions.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2014 02:48 |  #110

hollis_f wrote in post #17077202 (external link)
One thing I really, really fail to understand is - Who gives a flying fig what software others use?

Hmm. One thing to factor in to any software purchase is - is the product going to survive until next year? That depends on sustainable sales numbers.

Other people have to like it too. If they don't, it's history.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2014 02:55 |  #111

Lowner wrote in post #17077370 (external link)
I simply don't need anything else. DPP and Photoshop together do everything I need.

Process one image and copy that processing to the next 40 images.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2014 02:56 |  #112

tzalman wrote in post #17077385 (external link)
The rumors are......,rumors. Unjustified, unsubstantiated, unreliable and unintelligent. Also several more "un"s.

Hardly unjustified nor unintelligent. Not reliable, yet.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2014 03:08 |  #113

DetlevCM wrote in post #17077649 (external link)
With that attitude I would say I'm fairly certain you follow peer pressure.
A best example of people being sheep is the apple mobile phone - especially the first version. It was lacking the most fundamental abilities a £/$ 5 mobile phone had, people bought it...

That's interesting. I looked at that phone and decided it was nowhere near good enough (despite always using Macs). I looked at the iPhone 5 and decided the same thing. Last year I bought my first smartphone having waited 6 months even for its launch. It wasn't an Apple and I'm sure I made the right choice.

I hate making any tech purchase without the research and even more hate getting it wrong.

There's what I call "The salesman's answer". You ask "is this any good?" The answer is "We sell a lot of them". The salesman thinks he answered the question you asked but he didn't. But in his world, he did.

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2014 05:24 |  #114

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #17083502 (external link)
That's interesting. I looked at that phone and decided it was nowhere near good enough (despite always using Macs). I looked at the iPhone 5 and decided the same thing. Last year I bought my first smartphone having waited 6 months even for its launch. It wasn't an Apple and I'm sure I made the right choice.

I hate making any tech purchase without the research and even more hate getting it wrong.

There's what I call "The salesman's answer". You ask "is this any good?" The answer is "We sell a lot of them". The salesman thinks he answered the question you asked but he didn't. But in his world, he did.

I know the feeling - I like to know as much as possible about the things I buy too.
(There isn't anything apple branded on me or in my family but people around me, friends and colleagues use them.)

Heck, IF all "goes well", I know a product as well as owning it before I own it...

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 08, 2014 07:42 |  #115

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #17083486 (external link)
Lowner wrote in post #17077370 (external link)
I simply don't need anything else. DPP and Photoshop together do everything I need.

Process one image and copy that processing to the next 40 images.

Quite simple to do that in DPP. After processing the first file, choose Edit (or right click)/ Copy recipe to clipboard. Next select all images and Edit (or right click)/ Paste recipe to selected image. Click on Yes in the popup window "Apply recipe to all selected images". Done.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2014 07:51 |  #116

D Thompson wrote in post #17083726 (external link)
Quite simple to do that in DPP. After processing the first file, choose Edit (or right click)/ Copy recipe to clipboard. Next select all images and Edit (or right click)/ Paste recipe to selected image. Click on Yes in the popup window "Apply recipe to all selected images". Done.

I'll give it a go. Though I have absolutely no clue what a "right click" is.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2014 07:57 |  #117

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #17083736 (external link)

Well, there is a line of computers where the designers recognized that human beings on average have five fingers on each hand, and so is able to handle more than a single button even if already consuming fingers for holding the mouse. :)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 08, 2014 08:04 |  #118

Clicking the "right" button rather than the "left" button on your mouse. "Right click" will usually bring up another menu in most applications.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2014 09:05 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #119

pwm2 wrote in post #17083742 (external link)
Well, there is a line of computers where the designers recognized that human beings on average have five fingers on each hand, and so is able to handle more than a single button even if already consuming fingers for holding the mouse. :)

If you use a Mac, right-clicking is done by either holding the ctrl key while clicking or, if you have the Apple mouse with the touch-sensitive surface (and having two fingers on the top), you lift the left finger and click with the right finger. It detects you are on the right side of the mouse and interprets it that way.

--
John

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 08, 2014 09:22 |  #120

DetlevCM wrote in post #17077051 (external link)
Here is a good question - that I would like to see a debate about.

Because it's the best tool for the job.

Gear List

sponsored links

49,738 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.