Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2014 (Monday) 15:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Canon, when Nikon...

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 31, 2014 19:18 |  #136

Beard Man wrote in post #17069089 (external link)
But if this guy with a D810 is a good photographer ?

Then he'll stay with his camera and still won't switch. If he's a good photographer he knows that he is the most important part of the camera, so there isn't a need to switch.

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2014 19:20 |  #137

Pagman wrote in post #17069172 (external link)
One day perhaps we will see a new sensor that can capture detail so fine with so little noise or interference, that we will be able to use the sensor for more aggressive cropping allowing people to turn there 300mm lenses into near 1000mm - like some bridge cameras do quite well, but with more protection and capture of fine details, I'm not sure what the pixel count would need to be for this - 50mp possibly ? but as we are already at what - 28mp? it wont be to far off i bet.

P.

Canon did display a 120MP APS-H sensor 2011.

But there are more to it than just adding more MP, as you can see when you use these bridge cameras with 20MP sensor and an equivalent focal length fo 1200mm in weaker light.

Any time you crop the image, you reduce the number of photons represented in the photo. Adding more MP will not compensate for this.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,228 posts
Gallery: 2121 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2014 19:26 |  #138

pwm2 wrote in post #17069180 (external link)
Canon did display a 120MP APS-H sensor 2011.

But there are more to it than just adding more MP, as you can see when you use these bridge cameras with 20MP sensor and an equivalent focal length fo 1200mm in weaker light.

Any time you crop the image, you reduce the number of photons represented in the photo. Adding more MP will not compensate for this.

Wonder if there is a limit to how far they can go taking in to account new technology that does seem to be ever improving, i was amazed when i saw the first dslr with more than 20mp, yet at that amount it seems fine, it does make me wonder where new technology will take us with out humble little cameras say over the next 10 years?:cool:

P.

Some stuff.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 31, 2014 19:48 |  #139

elitejp wrote in post #17069049 (external link)
I think if you were to change the thread title to "would you switch brands if it didnt cost you anything?" we would get alot of different answers. For me it would be a definite yes. I would go Nikon or Sony in a heartbeat. However in the real world I can hold off and enjoy what I have with Canon.

...and that's the $64,000 question. I know the answer for me... i'm not a fanboy.

Kel
Gear

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 31, 2014 20:07 |  #140

Pagman wrote in post #17069194 (external link)
Wonder if there is a limit to how far they can go taking in to account new technology that does seem to be ever improving, i was amazed when i saw the first dslr with more than 20mp, yet at that amount it seems fine, it does make me wonder where new technology will take us with out humble little cameras say over the next 10 years?:cool:

P.

Going to be an exciting time. electronic shutters and viewfinders should mature. If optics can keep up with resolution, we could see a doubling or even tripling in the reach we get with longer lenses. Negative ISO would be kind of cool which would allow us to get rid of ND filters for the most part. Eye tracking servo AF would be awesome. Much more intelligent AF is almost a given. Intelligent custom functions that recognize where you are and auto configure might be around. Who knows what else people might come up with. Either way, it's gonna be fun!

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2014 20:15 |  #141

More intelligent AF isn't enough. Every time the sensor resolution is increased, there will be a need for a corresponding improvement to the AF precision. No use for extra MP if they are out of focus.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,670 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 31, 2014 20:16 |  #142

I think if you were to change the thread title to "would you switch brands if it didnt cost you anything?" we would get alot of different answers. For me it would be a definite yes. I would go Nikon or Sony in a heartbeat. However in the real world I can hold off and enjoy what I have with Canon.

I'd go to Fuji and then go to Fiji ;)

Way to miss the point...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 31, 2014 20:24 |  #143

For me it would be the opposite. I have no desire to learn the nuances of a new system. I never felt more comfortable than when I picked up my first film camera with the QCD. All the buttons and wheels were in the most natural places they could be and they still are. Nearly every setting can be changed with my right hand while I'm looking through the viewfinder without having to move the position of my hand. No other brand does this.

I suppose if you're shooting landscapes and you can take the time to set things up, other brands are fine. But if you spend most of your time with your camera to your face and making changes to settings on the fly, nothing beats Canon. I like the Canon menus and skin tones better too. But again, on landscapes, that doesn't matter.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,208 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 31, 2014 20:33 |  #144

guys that max out their talent can make those judgement themselves, no need for your input. Zach arias chooses fuji, and I can tell you, fuji doesnt offer near as much as nikon.

the D810 is an evolution of the D800, anyone looking to switch could have done so in the past few years.... Remember that mumbo jumbo you've been posting on lenses? yeah, that has a big bearing on why people switch or not. I'm getting ready to pick up a sony setup, and it's not really for the DXO scores either, kinda crazy idea wouldnt you say?

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,208 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 31, 2014 20:36 |  #145

kfreels wrote in post #17069261 (external link)
For me it would be the opposite. I have no desire to learn the nuances of a new system. I never felt more comfortable than when I picked up my first film camera with the QCD. All the buttons and wheels were in the most natural places they could be and they still are. Nearly every setting can be changed with my right hand while I'm looking through the viewfinder without having to move the position of my hand. No other brand does this.

I suppose if you're shooting landscapes and you can take the time to set things up, other brands are fine. But if you spend most of your time with your camera to your face and making changes to settings on the fly, nothing beats Canon. I like the Canon menus and skin tones better too. But again, on landscapes, that doesn't matter.

I'm kind of a technogeek, and I'de switch in an instant..... problem is that if I had such a habit, I wouldnt have much money left for bills and food :lol:

Money is always an issue ;)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Pagman
9,228 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2014 20:46 |  #146

With me its a case of trying to play "keep up" but in tiny steps, each year around yule i might have a little bit of spare pocket money, its then i have to decide - save up for that better glass about would take 4 years and £1000 so i get an extra 100mm, or up grade my camera to join the slightly - newer, better processor, better AF, and more MP's letting me crop more.
Its an interesting hobby we have folks.... there used to be a saying - "A fool and his money is soon parted" i would say - "photography is like a women - pleasing on the eye, sometimes complicated, but forever changing"

P.

Some stuff.

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 31, 2014 20:55 |  #147

If dynamic range and shadow recovery are your priority, and you are ok with Nikon lens selection, then switch. The shadow recovery ability of the new Sony sensors is amazing. If you can't see that you are burying your head in the sand. It all depend what you shoot and what's most important to you. But Canon may pull a rabbit out of the hat soon....

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

Pagman
9,228 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2014 21:07 |  #148

I was - last year looking at the 7D as my then possible ultimate up grade, but i jumped ship from a financial perspective and went with a D90 as after selling my 30D i did not have to put much towards my new camera, i know we as inquisitive people like to keep up with current trends but it still has a big bearing on what you can afford and being clever/patient with money and perhaps settling on the next best option.

P.

Some stuff.

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 08, 2014 09:38 |  #149

For most objective photogs and video people, the debate isn't Canon vs Nikon. The debate is Canon vs Sony or more recently Canon vs Panasonic.

And at the heart of the issue is glass. Canon is a fantastic glass producer and if Sony or Panasonic created a camera with an EF mount, I'd purchase it without a second thought.

This is also coming from a 1DX owner.

Pagman
9,228 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 08, 2014 09:57 |  #150

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #17083939 (external link)
For most objective photogs and video people, the debate isn't Canon vs Nikon. The debate is Canon vs Sony or more recently Canon vs Panasonic.

And at the heart of the issue is glass. Canon is a fantastic glass producer and if Sony or Panasonic created a camera with an EF mount, I'd purchase it without a second thought.

This is also coming from a 1DX owner.

But Panasonic do use some excellent glass with some of there cameras leica for example, isn't that on par with canon or nikon glass?

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links

57,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Canon, when Nikon...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.